Large Terrain and attack moves

Myzyrael

So our Gaming group is currently discussing some aspects on how to handle terrain and units attacking (read: moving into CC range).

We have some nice Terrain like large rocks and walls, but sometimes a unit occupies all space on top and there is no Space left for close combat attackers.

By the rules you can only attack if you get into 1/2“ and you have to keep unit cohesion so this effectively makes Units on the terrain inmune to close combat - pretty bad. But allowing models to stay „on the ground“ and assuming they are hovering in the air is bad either, as you lose track where they actually are and measuring weapon ranges isnt easy either. 

We havent found a good way of handling this yet that is fair to all players and good to handle without too many extra rules.

I‘d like to hear your opinions and maybe solutions how you handle this :)

I was thinking up some escalade rules for seige games that may work in these situations. My idea was basically that escalade tactics were brutal and the charging unit is likely to take a large number of casualties, so count the units as engaged fully (the idea being that the attacking unit were scaling with ladders, ropes etc. en masse), with the caveat that the defending unit gets to attack first always. The chargers that survive the attack then make their attacks back, and if they successfully wipe out the defenders then they take that terrain feature and get to stand upon it proudly! If not, they remaining models remain at the bottom of the feature till next turn to represent the guys that were still climbing, waiting there turn etc. 

I haven't actually tested the idea yet, and it was specifically dreamed up for the castle walls I built so it may not work with the terrain you are using, but it's an idea.

27 minutes ago, Lucio said:

It's pretty simple really, apply the Garrison rules from a variety of scenary warscolls such as Deathknell keep. Range is measured to the building and models inside count as being in cover, whilst those outside don't.

Agreed, the compendium for scenery has lots of good rules that can be used for various things.  

Archived