Wizardly Allies for Vanguard Wing

AdamR

I'm looking at adding a Wizard ally into my 2000 (well 1980) point Vanguard Wing list, mainly as a mystic shield supplier to make up for losing Staunch when getting into post teleport combat.

To fit it in I'm dropping my second Lord Relictor (which probably means I'm never getting bless weapons off ever again...).

I've got a shortlist of 4 - has anyone used any of them? What are peoples thoughts?

Battlemage: Pro's - most flexible, don't have to choose his extra spell until set up. 
                             Con's - Worst armour save. Costs the full 100 so no chance of a triumph.

Loremaster: Pro's - Best armour save, higher move, ok spell.
                              Con's - Costs the full 100 so no chance of a triumph.

Skink Starpriest: Pro's - Cheap, so I might get a triumph, highest move, ok debuff spell
                                        Con's - Only 4 wounds, not a great save, miss out on his ability as it's SERAPHON only.

Spellweaver:  Pro's - Cheap, auto unbind 1/game.
                               Con's - Joint worst save, spell only affects WANDERERS.

Out of those four I'm leaning towards the Skink or the Loremaster... Are there any other obvious choices I have missed?

How about Sorceress from Darkling Covens.  Only 80 points and her spell is a -1 to hit debuff, which is not bad but it needs a 7 to work. Of course you could take a unit of 10 xbows for her to sacrifice one each turn for +2 on the roll, but that would be another 100 points.

Mistweaver Saih is only 80 points. Move 8".  Save of 1+ against 1 attack each round and her spell has a 24" range.

Probably too expensive, but Doomfire Warlocks.  10 wound wizard for 160 pts and a 14" move.  Also a better Arcane bolt (until they take casualties ).

10 hours ago, AdamR said:

I've got 100 points, they are both a too much!

Both the Branchwych and Branchwraith are 80 points 5+ armour save and move 7.  The Branchwraith's spell is useless, even for Sylvaneth, but the Branchwych spell is ok.  All told though, I think the Loremaster would probably be the best candidate, especially if you have a good single model for his spell should the situation arise.

Archived