Kill points in tourneys

So I recently played my first tournament and other than major/ minor wins kill points determines your ranking. 

I see some problems with this but maybe I am wrong, here is what I see.

Firstly I play nurgle. My army is designed to take a beating not give one. My points will be lower. Yes that means I can deny my opponent points but if I am being ranked against all players only those who match against me suffer.

Secondly this means a bad decision by one player can give another player a lot of points. Example I watched a player charge Archon into 30 saurus guard who had a D3 dmg buff. (He didn’t know about that buff) Archon got wrecked, handing the other player 700kill points, that player specifically never played me and beat me by 500 kill points.so the Archon player handed him a win over me

lastly isn’t a more impressive victory with less kill points? I beat the Archon player as well ( never killing him), surviving 10 punishing melee rounds. Why is that worth less? 

Obviously I have some personal steak in this so I am biased. I am bringing it here for objective opinions. 

For those who don’t know kill points work like this. 

At the end of a game both players are awarded kill points for all enemy units they have wiped off the table ( only complete units count) those score add up to you kill points which are tiebreakers in the ranking.

Was this recently with the new nurgle book. Because from what ive seen they are very killy and tough to kill. 

How else would you sort ties? 

I thought maybe you could do via objective scores but then that would be just the other way round from what happened to you. 

Alot depends on how many games tournaments are . The more games the less chance of having ties

Regardless of the ranking and points scoring system a bad decision by one player is always going to benefit another player- be that directly or indirectly. And unless you play everyone in the tournament or do some horrific calculation to weight for strength of schedule/opponent there are always going to be occasions where someone gets a nice boost from wrecking Archaon. 

At least with VPs (scored, not net) it encourages people not to bunker up, time waste and play a boring game when they know they have been out played on the primary objectives. 

Gotta agree with @ageofpaddsmar new nurgle can certainly dish out a fair amount of damage over the course of a game.

VPs scored are generally just used as a tie breaker. Major/Minors and soft scores usually matter far more than VPs.

That being said, depending on how many players your event has and how many rounds, TO's may wish to introduce other mechanisms. Sum of Opponents Scores in events with more rounds can also be a useful tie breaker, but it's not very appropriate in tie breaking a 3 round tournament (or small tournaments).

Overall though, the TO's have to tie break somehow. VPs earned (or differential) is an easy way that can be useful in small tournaments as in theory it gives a sense of scale as to how well your army performed. Many tournaments also introduce secondary objectives instead.

4 minutes ago, Redmanphill said:

I’d use a differential of objective points as the first tie break, then differential of kill points

As in objective points scored during the game? How would that work with the difference between knife to the heart? It's a win or a loss. and starstrike where it could be possible to walk away with 36 objective points

1 minute ago, Carnelian said:

That seems like a good idea. Why doesn't that happen? I've never seen it in use

Because I'm now incentivised to win on objectives and then either smash your army off the table as quickly as possible or play a boring game hiding away from you to reduce how much damage I take. At least at the moment both sides likely have something to play for.

9 minutes ago, TheAdequateWargamer said:

As in objective points scored during the game? How would that work with the difference between knife to the heart? It's a win or a loss. and starstrike where it could be possible to walk away with 36 objective points

Subtract the points your opponent gets (scores) from yours. This gives you a differential. Total these up over the games for a +/- score at the end of the tournament. Some scenarios allow for higher scoring but as everyone plays the same scenario it’s balanced. This takes the emphasis away from killing models and puts it on denying your opponent scoring, which indeed may be done by killing models.

Archived