Chaos Warriors under GHB - Poor Investment or Sylvaneth Killer?

daedalus81

After looking at the army you posted i have to ask, are you trying to keep all you models as Slaves of darkness. I only ask because i would be tempted into replacing the chaos lord on steed with the Tzeentch Arcanites Lord on Disc due to his command ability to let all mortal tzeentch withing 9" re-roll of a matching number to the dice rolled in the hero phase. (I really butcher the explanation of that command ability).

2 hours ago, daedalus81 said:

[240]    Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore
    - Tzeentch; Hero; Behemoth
    - Provides Oracular Vision (very Tzeentchy)
[140]    Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount
    - Tzeentch; Hero
    - Very tough to kill and boosts knights and chariot

[120]    Fatesworn
[140]    Chaos Sorcerer Lord
    - Tzeentch; Hero
    - Also provides Oracular Vision
[180]    9 Chaos Warriors
    -Tzeentch; Battleline
[180]    9 Chaos Warriors
    -Tzeentch; Battleline
[120]    18 Marauders
    -Tzeentch; Battleline
[200]    5 Chaos Knights
    -Tzeentch
[100]    Gorebeast
    -Tzeentch
[200]    Warshrine
    -Tzeentch
[320]    9 Chosen
    -Tzeentch

Total - 1940

I could slap another 9 marauders in there or shrink the chosen for knights.  Or get that BSB in when I find his points.

Thought Chaos Warriors needed to be 10 strong?

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

Thought Chaos Warriors needed to be 10 strong?

You can take any number of models, but you still have to pay the price for 10.  The battalion requires 9 models at deployment to get the benefit.

1 hour ago, Sennyo said:

After looking at the army you posted i have to ask, are you trying to keep all you models as Slaves of darkness. I only ask because i would be tempted into replacing the chaos lord on steed with the Tzeentch Arcanites Lord on Disc due to his command ability to let all mortal tzeentch withing 9" re-roll of a matching number to the dice rolled in the hero phase. (I really butcher the explanation of that command ability).

No, not particularly.  The battalion wrecks the allegiance anyway.  I like the lord for his combat durability, but his command ability leaves much to be desired.  In theory it's great, because rolling anything, but a 6 let's get you re-rolls on those ward saves at the very least.  Unfortunately a reroll when you need a 6 doesn't give you a huge leg up.  It's great when you roll a 1 and can benefit every other roll - it just doesn't often work out for me.

Maybe i'll give it more air time to see how it works with this army.

5 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

I thought you still had to comply with the Warscroll description which says unit composition is 10? Sorry that sounds like me nitpicking - just curious :-) 

Let's say you only had 9 models anyway - you can still field them.  You just pay a premium.  Similarly I have 8 knights instead of 10.  I can field 8, but pay the price of 10.

4 hours ago, Nico said:

Yes - the spawn can be mortal Tzeentch and all the heroes in the formation get the extra bolt. 

Yea, but i'm unsure if the rule of one overrides the battalion ability there.

Yea, but i'm unsure if the rule of one overrides the battalion ability there.

Maybe it doesn't. I've been thinking that the Kroak cast a spell 3 times special rule probably does override the rule of one (as it's drafted so as to be an exception). Maybe the Tzeentch formation does too. It's quite significant as the Tzeentch formation is basically a generic Slaves to Darkeness army (e.g. if you bought the starter Slaves box) . Thoughts?

It doesn't override it due to the fact the battlion *allows * heroes to attempt to cast the arcane bolt spell.   whereas kroaks ability says he can cast it 3 times.

The battlion unlocks spells for heroes who typically cannot  cast a spell and are more combat focused  ( see manticore lord, tzeentch lord on flying disk )

It doesn't allow a free spell, 

I found going 2hw warriors was nice if using the fatesworn warband due to their rerolls for 1s to hit.

Giving you a 3+4+-1 rend 1 dmg rerolls 1 to hit, I think makes it like 80%+  chance to hit? Dunno the maths but sounds right.

The chaos manticore lords ability is broken currently and buffs nothing (as nothing is warriors of chaos keyword) but i suspect it's meant to be slaves to darkness within 15" if so, using him as the general would certainly make the unit of chaos warriors a bit more Killy, take them large enough, say 27, you gain a 6+ ward and reroll 1 armour saves. 

You now have a 54 wound unit that. 

Hits on essentially 2+3+-1 rend 1dmg, with a 3+6+ save, battleshock shouldnt an issue unless you got wrecked.

Now, on a tangent, our old buddy sayl the faithless is keyworded as slaves to darkness, an his spell is awesome 

2 hours ago, Arkiham said:

It doesn't allow a free spell, 

I found going 2hw warriors was nice if using the fatesworn warband due to their rerolls for 1s to hit.

Now, on a tangent, our old buddy sayl the faithless is keyworded as slaves to darkness, an his spell is awesome 

It lets anyone cast bolt, but if they know bolt then they can cast it twice.  Regardless the rule of one allows you to cast a spell once regardless of the wizard so i'm pretty sure that rule is mostly moot.

I'd be dubious about dropping shields for a small reroll 1 to hit.

Hopefully FW comes out with points soon.

I'm also loving the idea of a Verminlord Warpseer to lead - fanastic, tzeentchy control spell.  I just worry about him going to the wayside when arcanites pop out and i want a pure army for allegiance.

I used a version of the list above tonight and it worked really well.

Hey guys! So far I have played 2 games using chaos warriors in mass. First game 10 held up 15 slayers and 10 iron breakers for 5 battle rounds. And in the 2nd game they geld up Durthu for 4 rounds. They didn't really do much damage, but it allowed my other units take apart the rest of my opponent's army.

Just my experience so far.

• 3 months later...

Archived