Legion of Blood Preview!

TheKingInYellow

2 hours ago, Sception said:

Wouldn't be the only time game book fluff was a lot better than a detailed novelization.  The difference in quality between the old Pandorax campaign book in 40k and the novelization based on it in particular was jaw dropping.

See the reason why I got mannfred so much during the end times because the only time whenever they described how he ruled sylvania is from the rpg. He ruled it far better compared to vlad he even gave his barons quite a degree autonomy as long as they answer the muster. Humans are indoctrinated as vampire cultists instead of being kept in cages and human necromancers have a shot at making something of themselves. Vlad considers mortals to be only meat nothing more unless you interested him.

Plus mannfred's writings in liber necris sold me to the character also I agree mannfred was great in end times as before. Now in AOS I feel mannfred is becoming even a better character flaws and all.

Don't get me Wong I don't hate vlad but it's just people have sound my opinion of the character. Plus it's just my thing to like incredibly flawed characters.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Malakithe said:

How does Settra come back if he was obliterated in the old world eons ago? 

He was not obliterated. At the end of End Times: Nagash he was floating around between realms or something. AoS lore has created all kinds of reasons why certain heros have persisted eons later in the Age of Sigmar. The only reason why I bring up Settra is because the local GW manager keeps talking about how the head of AoS loved Settra and really wants to find a way to bring him back. But if that's true, not sure why he would have squatted TK altogether when they could have easily been downsized and absorbed them into deathrattle. Also the storyline with Settra floating around never got resolved, but there were a ton of unresolved storylines after the End Times, so that dosen't necessarily mean anything. Regardless of whether Settra comes back, I think the Katophranes are going to be a thing.  

2 hours ago, shinros said:

See the reason why I got mannfred so much during the end times because the only time whenever they described how he ruled sylvania is from the rpg. He ruled it far better compared to vlad he even gave his barons quite a degree autonomy as long as they answer the muster. Humans are indoctrinated as vampire cultists instead of being kept in cages and human necromancers have a shot at making something of themselves. Vlad considers mortals to be only meat nothing more unless you interested him.

Plus mannfred's writings in liber necris sold me to the character also I agree mannfred was great in end times as before. Now in AOS I feel mannfred is becoming even a better character flaws and all.

Don't get me Wong I don't hate vlad but it's just people have sound my opinion of the character. Plus it's just my thing to like incredibly flawed characters.

Mannfred was pretty much the coolest char in all of warhammer during the End Times: Nagash. Only by his martial power were the relics collected for Nagash's ceremony to take place. His goal was to sabotage the whole thing and steal Nagash's power for himself, but because he was stuck fighting off a Legandary High Elf swordmaster and an Archmage at the same time (he killed them both) Arkhan was able to seal him out of the ritual at the last second. Unfortunately Mannfred is never a follower, always a leader and even though he swore fealty to Nagash, Nagash can read his mind and knows that Mannfred will never serve idly like his other servants. Ever since then, Mannfred has been raked over the coals. Nagash then threw him under the bus during the council to save the old world. Finally, Mannfred basically screws up the last hope and essentially causes the destruction of the old world. In all his lore now hes this kind of half decent tragic char begging for scraps from his master Nagash or plotting against him only to fail again and again. The Mannfred in the first End Times book was amazing, the new Mannfred sucks. Basically Mannfred was the king of the undead and lord of Sylvania, now that Nagash has arrived and Sylvania no longer exists, Mannfred really has no place to be. 

Nagash tore settra to pieces when he conquered Nehekhara and demolished Khemri, before he flew his black pyramid back north to Sylvania.  The chaos gods put Settra back together because they thought he'd try to kill Nagash, and maybe at least distract him at a critical moment.  Settra did show up briefly at the last battle, only to shout "SETTRA NOT CHARACTER, SETTRA MEME!" before attacking some demons instead.

One of many dangling plot threads without meaningful resolution at the end of that campaign.  It really could have used a second or third draft, but that would have been too much time and effort to put into a game GW had already written off.  Im still more than a little annoyed that nagash didnt get a vengeful confrontation with the skaven after they nuked his pyramid, forcing him into an alliance with the other incarnates.  If would have been great to see a big foght between nagash and skreech verminking at the end, especially with verminking's history with nagash.

Oh well.

1 hour ago, DantePQ said:

Manfred was never close to being that cool in ET , there was one cool mother*****  and he was also Van Carstein - Vlad. And he went out swinging. 

It's not about cool factor and this is my problem it's all well and good to like characters because of cool factor but that's all it is. Cool factor does not make an interesting character to me. Vlad is somewhat of a boring character to me IMO. 

17 minutes ago, AthlorianStoners said:

IMO Arkhan was the best character in End Times, his internal conflict and motivations, as well as the flat out badass moments he had really stuck with me. 

Yup this is partly the reason why I liked Arkhan. Also one of the better parts of end times is when both he and manny interacted.

28 minutes ago, Sception said:

Arkhan really was the MVP.  Most stuff accomplished, most named kills, most new characterization.  Sadly a bit lacking in personality and motivation in AoS.  Hopefully LoN helps that.

Going by what we know so far Arkhan is like a teacher/mentor. Since necromancers travel to learb from him and according to the white dwarf he has a coven of deathmages called the black disciples. I hope lon explores this coven.

I expect it to.  I'll be starting with Grand Host for my personal army, since morghasts and everything deathrattle are my favorite units in the book, and the models I have closest to ready, but Arkhan's disciples and the Legion of Sacrament in general are very much the narrative & lore stuff I'm most excited for in the new book.

Archived