Ghost Fire Coven throne

mmimzie

Hey folks figured i'd post some pictures of my coven throne since its done.... for now. I still need to base it and if you have any suggestions i'll happily field them. Right now the one that seems the best is using that mars earth stuff on top of a bright green paint.

20160704_155210.jpg

20160704_155218.jpg

20160704_161600.jpg

Another basing style i wanted, but i dont know how to do this would be burnt grass. I'd love to have burnt or dead grass around where the model touches the base, and the rest to kind of "fade" back to lush green grass. As if the fire is sucking the life out of it, but i don't know if i could make this play. Maybe if i putt a bush next them where and have it look deader the closer it is to the throne or something. 

Hey there, loving the colours, it's a vibrant mini! For the base, the grass idea would look awesome. I would suggest putting down the usual sand, and making the drybrush lighter the further from the min. And then use two types of grass, with the dead one nearest :) 

54 minutes ago, WoollyMammoth said:

Awesome. Such a spooky cauldron. I agree with Soulsmith. you could get like a ton of static grass but that's tough. I would spend the cash to just get a lot of tufts of green, faded green and dead grass.

http://shop.thearmypainter.com/products.php?ProductGroupId=3#

For the sand, I much prefer using texture paints.  

With the army basing products you have linked to, how would you actually go about adding/glueing them onto the Base?

Do you need to paint them afterwards?

So i dig the grass idea, but aso the throne and really... almost my entire army is supposed to be on fire. Spirits burning with rage if you will. Here one of my spirit host.

20160704_201505.jpg

I also have a bunch of "zombies"  but they are actually random 25mm troops from about every other army that are ghost returned burning with vengence in a very similar paint scheme. I haven't taken pictures of them yet.

ANy way i was wondering if it just be better to do a lighting effect than use the grass??? Grass is stupid to paint and if i wanted the lighting over the grass the slowly fading grass effect would get buried.

Thanks a great deal for your advice thus far.

awesome lighting effect. really looks glowy. Maybe fore your zombies you could just do the green for their eyes and make them look spirit-possessed.

I have never attempted to paint grass. I find that the more simple the base the better, don't want to distract focus from the model. If you want to do some object source lighting, this is going to get messy- because if you think about how the lighting efects the ground, then you want to think about how the lighting effects the dresses hanging down, the weapons/shields on the spirits, the drakes hanging down, etc. Then you'll want to do it for the spirits and any other model.

I was really digging the concept of the grass dieing, I would just put really green healthy looking tufts along the outside ridge, brown in the middle and dead yellow close to the spirits. You dont have to paint anything, just put down base (i use vallejo texture brown earth - looks like peanut butter but you can throw down some agrax or nuln and it looks good) then just add the tufts.)

Somone actually sold me their nighthaunt box for cheap recently. I have a mortis so I wanted to make a throne. My idea was to try to fit it on an x-large cavalry base, I like the way models look balanced on a small base.  

@WoollyMammoth

Yeah i do the whole tournament scene so i try to stick to thier standard sizes v.v

Tell me more about your zombie idea??? I have all kind of dudes for my zombies. I've got night goblins, muraders, state troops, fllagelents, skinks, wood elves, and so on. So you said make thier eyes green?? Like you'd paint em their normal colors and make thier eyes green?? or??? 

edit: maybe paint them all what ever flesh tone. Then on the face make the eyes green with a little green glow effect over the face??? 

Officially bases don't matter. I don't like SCGT forcing base sizes. For me modeling is always first. I don't like hefty bases for no reason, lots of negative space.  But if tournament rules require me to have it in a larger base I could simply set the smaller base on a larger one.  

Yeah - that's what I was thinking. Flesh zombies with glowing "witchfire" green eyes like the green of your throne/spirits

10 minutes ago, WoollyMammoth said:

Officially bases don't matter. I don't like SCGT forcing base sizes. For me modeling is always first. I don't like hefty bases for no reason, lots of negative space.  But if tournament rules require me to have it in a larger base I could simply set the smaller base on a larger one.  

Yeah - that's what I was thinking. Flesh zombies with glowing "witchfire" green eyes like the green of your throne/spirits

I hate your right now for make me repaint my guys v v lmao. Thanks for the cool idea man!!

Usually if I want to make a bigger based model. I do, but in some way mark what's its actual base should be and I allow opponents to move into to the university marked off region. Usually this easy to do by simple basing your base... on a base. 

16 hours ago, Carnelian said:

So I bought some army painter grass tonight in prep for the weekend!

Nice post some pics of the results i'd lvoe to see

21 hours ago, WoollyMammoth said:

Thanks again for the idea. I'm gonna go with possed people for sure. I'm gonna make all their skin quite pale using bugman, Pallid witch, or flayed one as base and washing with Agerax, rekiland, sepia respectively to get different colors of pale skin.  Lizards will be Pallid with a blue wash, and gobos will be pallid with a green wash. Not sure how to do a pale skaven/beastman yet though. Anyone know how to do pale beastmen/skaven??

Will do all their clothing in black???...  Wanted to do all their original outfits, but i really don't think it would be worth painting the core for 20 different armies lol. 

Then i'll hit the eyes with white, dry brush the face with alittle warpstone, and then more around the eyes with moot, and then redo the eyes with a thin white..

5 hours ago, mmimzie said:

Nice post some pics of the results i'd lvoe to see

Thanks again for the idea. I'm gonna go with possed people for sure. I'm gonna make all their skin quite pale using bugman, Pallid witch, or flayed one as base and washing with Agerax, rekiland, sepia respectively to get different colors of pale skin.  Lizards will be Pallid with a blue wash, and gobos will be pallid with a green wash. Not sure how to do a pale skaven/beastman yet though. Anyone know how to do pale beastmen/skaven??

Will do all their clothing in black???...  Wanted to do all their original outfits, but i really don't think it would be worth painting the core for 20 different armies lol. 

Then i'll hit the eyes with white, dry brush the face with alittle warpstone, and then more around the eyes with moot, and then redo the eyes with a thin white..

I'll take some pics as I do it on the train on the way to Nottingham!

I couldn't wait. I've only put one on most models, occasionally a couple more. I habe the swamp tufts but think I'll  also mix some with the Deep Forest tufts and maybe even a smattering of Meadows to make the forest look really colourful and vibrant and fantastical. Thoughts and comments would be much appreciated. I kinda just put them randomly.

20160707_231417.jpg

20160707_231810.jpg

20160707_231803.jpg

20160707_231754.jpg

Archived