Expanding a Battleforce

MortarchCapa

Hi all,

Recently I invested in the Blades of the Blood Queen Box which has in it:

Neferata, 2 Morghast Archai, Wight King, 20 Skeletons and 10 Grave Guard.  I built the skeletons as one unit with spears. I rebased Vlad and Isabella to use as vampire lords from my old army too.

My question is: what would be good additions to this army in the future? I know units of 30 skeletons are rather tasty and maybe 2 units of 3 vargheist. If you were me and were facing mostly daemons of Tzeentch and Kharadron Overloads? We don't play purely to win but just fluffy fun games most of the time but having a good list which is flexible is always my go to.

Cheers! - MortarchCapa

My advice at the minute? Caution. We've no idea what's gonna come. The best  advice I can offer, from that starter set.. you can't go wrong with more skellies. You can never have enough skellies. Hopefully soon we'll all know how best to proceed. 

In regards to Tzeentch... I hate playing against Tzeentch! Ha ha! Recently had a game where I lasted until the 4th turn. Was proud of that ✌️

45 minutes ago, MortarchCapa said:

What about some spirit hosts? I doubt they'll go anywhere and I like the idea of painting some nighthaunt. I think they're generic enough to fit in most armies? 

Spirit hosts were awesome! Struggled a bit if you're facing someone who can make them -1 to hit and whatnot. Not too sure what they'd be like if the leaks are to be believed. 

It's a safe bet they'll still be around though and if you like the models then I'd say go for it. The rule of cool trumps all other rules in my mind. 

4 minutes ago, flemingmma said:

more grave guard?

Just curious, what do you think is the optimal size for a Grave Guard unit on a 2k point army list? Mine has 20 with great blades, but not sure if going for 30 Guards (maybe too many points invested on a single unit that is rather squishy).

Currently I would recommend more units based on what Mortarch you have/are going to build. Neferata likes hordes and a more defensive list. Manfred likes elites and a more offensive list. Arkhan likes to have several other mages to team up with. But as others have said, this could all change in a few weeks.

As for skeletons (and keep in mind this is only currently). They beast way to run them is either as 10 man with sword/shield or 40 with spear/shield. A 30 man unit with spears is better than 3 separate units with swords. Never run them as 20. 30-40 man units love having a Necromancer nearby.

Grave guard are cool but not good.  I'm not saying don't run them, I'm saying they're a vanity unit, and that isn't likely to change.  The 'right number' is whatever the minimum that your skeletal vanity compells you to run.  For me that's usually either zero or ten.

As for spirit hosts, they're good now, but (possibly fake) rumors have them changing in ways that don't exactly make them terrible, but do make them play worse with others.  And the models are a pain to assemble.  Maybe hold off on them until the book at least.  Should only be a few weeks.

3 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

Currently I would recommend more units based on what Mortarch you have/are going to build. Neferata likes hordes and a more defensive list. 

Yeh I was going to run with Neferata. Ill have a proper delve into the book and see what might work well with her. :) TBH I just like her model! 

Archived