Priority Roll modification for a upcoming event.

Aeon

A lot of people are complaining about the double turn, others are complaining about the complainers.

However, this was about a modification to the Priority Roll. To still have the Priority Roll still in the game, but just making it a tad harder to get a double turn.

Yes you could argue about the Priority Roll being a sacred rule, but army construction and the sudden death mechanic have been removed/modified.

This keeps the flavour of the Roll, but makes it abit more stable.

8 minutes ago, Aeon said:

A lot of people are complaining about the double turn, others are complaining about the complainers.

However, this was about a modification to the Priority Roll. To still have the Priority Roll still in the game, but just making it a tad harder to get a double turn.

Yes you could argue about the Priority Roll being a sacred rule, but army construction and the sudden death mechanic have been removed/modified.

This keeps the flavour of the Roll, but makes it abit more stable.

I think the problem is that you'll still have people complaining about being 'double turned', it's just the actual double turn becomes a slightly less common occurrence.

So in a way, it's a bandaid fix without addressing the root cause for your community. But I do agree it's a subtle approach to try and mitigate it (Although, as I mentioned winning draws effectively does the same thing IMO).

That being said. My opinion is that sometimes you have to accept that people don't like the game the way it is. There's no real issue with that, apart from having to rebuild your community with different members. I think a lot of it is just getting critical mass to get a community going, and then people will join just because it's the game being played (And while it's not the game being played, it's super hard to do it).

I don't think it helps the cause that yes, 40k does feel a lot like AoS with some of the 'problems' fixed. But even then, a lot of people don't actually like the 40k changes either.

20 minutes ago, someone2040 said:

I think the problem is that you'll still have people complaining about being 'double turned', it's just the actual double turn becomes a slightly less common occurrence.

So in a way, it's a bandaid fix without addressing the root cause for your community. But I do agree it's a subtle approach to try and mitigate it (Although, as I mentioned winning draws effectively does the same thing IMO).

That being said. My opinion is that sometimes you have to accept that people don't like the game the way it is. There's no real issue with that, apart from having to rebuild your community with different members. I think a lot of it is just getting critical mass to get a community going, and then people will join just because it's the game being played (And while it's not the game being played, it's super hard to do it).

I don't think it helps the cause that yes, 40k does feel a lot like AoS with some of the 'problems' fixed. But even then, a lot of people don't actually like the 40k changes either.

And 90 percent of 40k competetive tournaments run modified rules. Should they just not play because they aren't satisfied by the book scenarios?

There is nothing wrong with modifying a game.

1 minute ago, stratigo said:

And 90 percent of 40k competetive tournaments run modified rules. Should they just not play because they aren't satisfied by the book scenarios?

There is nothing wrong with modifying a game.

And where exactly did I say it was bad to modify the game?

All I said was that it's a bandaid fix to the problem that people don't like the double turn. And sometimes you just have to accept that people won't enjoy the game unless you start changing big parts of it to suit.

There's also nothing wrong with that, but it also means it can be harder to get new members to join your community.

On 20/01/2018 at 11:32 PM, someone2040 said:

And where exactly did I say it was bad to modify the game?

All I said was that it's a bandaid fix to the problem that people don't like the double turn. And sometimes you just have to accept that people won't enjoy the game unless you start changing big parts of it to suit.

There's also nothing wrong with that, but it also means it can be harder to get new members to join your community.

I think that's a really good point.

One of the obstacles to players who want to get into the tournament scene is the idea that the rules and missions will not be the same as the ones they are used to. This is one of the reasons the GW heats are so popular as a first GT in the UK - everything is out of the book and familiar.

I think it does better service to the AoS community in general if events are designed to be welcoming and accessible to new players who are enjoying the game casually and want to get more into it rather than designed to suit people who would be happy to play the game if it had different rules.

Archived