Proposed Medium Cav Update

Hi all,

So I've been looking at a lot of different Medium Cav models' rules (Black Knights, Dragon Blades, etc) and I know I am not alone in finding them underwhelming. Lack of rend on most and needing to charge to be even somewhat effective really limits these models. After thinking about it a bit I've decided that units such as these should probably all have their musician be a retreat and charge ability. This would allow them greater flexibility as harrassers and let them stay effective the whole game. Now, they need to pull out of a combat, miss a turn, and charge back in to be effective. Most aren't good enough to justify this strategy, and those that are its very situational.

Now, I'm not proposing this for things that I would consider Heavy Cav (Dracoths, Gore Gruntas). Those units I see as a charge and stick role, what with the high wounds, good armor and rend. I'm thinking just the two wound cav models that are melee focused (Sorry Reavers!)

I know this is wishful thinking as I seriousy doubt a general Warscroll update would ever go out, but would you like to see something like this for these types of models?

I find it is more of a "Battletome vs. Not" problem as even some models that SHOULD be heavy cavalry fail, like the Demogryph Knights. Stormcast Palladors are also mediumish and yet do fine. They were just designed more recently and with the strength and strategy of AoS in mind.

I do like the change, though. Would be welcome in my eyes, maybe with addition of rend and such, even if on the charge. As is, lack of rend, number of attacks, and needing to charge to work at ALL makes the units in question suck... Which is a shame, they are often awesome models and cool concepts.

I think Medium Cav would see greater usage on larger game boards with more open areas.  For example if you double the game board size a medium cav unit with high movement (and lower point cost than heavy cav) becomes very valuable since they can up and move to capture objectives, break through etc. 

Currently most games devolve into a few large melee's where they suffer.

Savage Orruk Boarboys and Marauder Horsemen already have retreat and charge abilities.  Which works as they represent lighter cavalry.  Although not montorous, Black Knights, Dragon Blades and the like aren’t light cavalry and are still supposed to be shock cavalary I’m not sure a hit and run mechanic fits. Something to better represent the momentum of their charge so may be add a -1 rend to the charge bonus or have an extra pile in and attack like Savage Boarboy Maniaks might help thematically and power them up a bit. 

On 1/9/2018 at 11:59 AM, flamingwalnut said:

I find it is more of a "Battletome vs. Not" problem as even some models that SHOULD be heavy cavalry fail, like the Demogryph Knights. Stormcast Palladors are also mediumish and yet do fine. They were just designed more recently and with the strength and strategy of AoS in mind.

I do like the change, though. Would be welcome in my eyes, maybe with addition of rend and such, even if on the charge. As is, lack of rend, number of attacks, and needing to charge to work at ALL makes the units in question suck... Which is a shame, they are often awesome models and cool concepts.

Palladors aren't very good either tbh

Archived