Feed Back On OSL Attempt

TheWilddog

Hey all, I think of myself as a decent painter.  I can get to a tabletop level and sometimes a little more.  I have been wanting to try some new stuff and decided to give OSL (object source lighting) a go.  Here is my first attempt, on a  test model for my Skaven Clan Skryre project.  Thoughts and feedback are welcome. 

2018-01-08 15.58.06.jpg

2018-01-08 15.58.52.jpg

Good start if you've never done it before!

I'd suggest pushing the highlight on the ball and backpack (yellow or white) and applying the same edge highlight to the crystals. 

The glow effect is a bit subtle on the model (the base is great).  I'd probably do a fairly broad glow effect with the mid-green colour and then a smaller one with the yellow/green.  Don't use the brightest colour for the glow effect as it'll make the actual light source seem dull - I can't look at a light bulb, but I can look at the glow on my hand.

I like it! Subtle works for me! However, if you're going to have (no idea of skryre model counts) 70 models with this effect, and look at it from 3 to 4 feet away, the effect might get lost.

I think the effect could be strengthened not by tweaking the glazing but the surface you're glazing on and creating a lighting contrast.

What I mean is, the model and the base are bright and warm and the OSL is bright and warm.

What I might experiment with is darker colours for the base. Like cold, black, slick rock. You'd then have a contrast with a bright warm model and a darker cooler base - which would also take the OSL glazes better.

That said that's preference only as this "works". Looking at the model I see the intended effect (OSL) instead of seeing paint laid on some areas.

The base source if the light is actually green, rather than yellow. So if you look at a non white, often times yellow, lightbulb, the source of the light is often times much brighter than the cast light on walls and furniture. So the cast light should be more green. You can easily d9 this by using GW green glaze paint. 

Secondly, you want to darken the brown where the light doesnt hit, but still in close proximity to the soruce of light.. That way you build up the contrast needed to make the light more convinsing. See blue in picture i have attached for direct reference.

you can also see how the rocks are very dark where the light from the fire does not reach. It helps to enhance the shape of the rocks as well as the brightness of those rocks. Now. Obviously this is an extreme example and non of us are expecting you to paint like that, neither are you intending to. But these types of paintjobs are great to steal techniques from and use as reference.

good luck!

39A46624-B144-401D-8265-63C5CA4647EA.jpeg.f9246438f8f0ca630fd74824042b9681.jpeg 

Archived