Thundertusk running and throwing a snowball

Fridge_Opener

Blasts of Frost-wreathed Ice: In the shooting phase, pick a unit within 18" that is visible to the Thundertusk. Roll a dice; on a 2 or more that unit is struck and suffers a number of mortal wounds shown on the damage table above.

From the Warscroll. Reading that it's an ability which is used in the shooting phase not a shooting attack. As such it can be used after running.

2 minutes ago, Malakree said:

From the Warscroll. Reading that it's an ability which is used in the shooting phase not a shooting attack. As such it can be used after running.

But it's listed under a missile weapon in the warscroll no? Don't get me wrong I'd love to be able to run and throw it I just need to fully know the argument before I take it to a GT

11 minutes ago, Fridge_Opener said:

But it's listed under a missile weapon in the warscroll no? Don't get me wrong I'd love to be able to run and throw it I just need to fully know the argument before I take it to a GT

The ability makes it clear you aren't actually making a shooting attack. The range is listed as a missile weapon but you aren't making an attack, there's no "hit roll" or "wound roll".

Perfect thank you, my issue with it is the shooting phase rules

"In your shooting phase you can shoot with models armed with missile weapons.

Pick one of your units. You may not pick a unit that ran or retreated this turn."

Seems pretty clear to me that he can't run and shoot

1 hour ago, Fridge_Opener said:

Its a missile weapon so you cannot run and shoot.

You can however run and "shoot" with the blood vulture as this is not a missile weapon, but something that is used in the shooting phase. Note how the two are slightly different in the warscroll.

I looked to see if there was an FAQ and couldn't find one. My interpretation would be that he can run and shoot though realistically his threat range is huge anyway.

Best way to deal with it then is to ask the question before the event and get what is in essence a house ruling. That's how I deal with ambiguous rules.

As sad as I am not to be able to get another d6 effective range out of thundertusks, @Caffran101 has the right of it.

Untitled-3.png.93fd03de5f225f77e0abd22aa431be7a.png

You can shoot with models armed with missile weapons. When picking one of your units, you may not pick one who ran or retreated.

Untitled-5.png.7d75f3c8795df070ad85ad976b31dfc7.png

Frost-wreathed Ice is classified as a missile weapon, and so you can't pick a running Thundertusk to shoot, regardless of how you would later resolve the shots of his missile weapon.

The Blood Vulture may be released to hunt irrespective of running or retreating, since it's not a missile weapon, but an ability, and it's not a missile weapon because it isn't listed under "Missile Weapons".

Archived