Brayherd vs Grand Alliance

thebloody9

Hi

I'm running a goat posse 2000pts deep and was wondering if Brayherd alliegence or Grand Alliance Chaos was the better bet?

I'm leaning toward Chaos with the Wildstalker battalion. This seems to give me enough bodies, some very useful buffs and Ambush with access to more toys.

Is it worth giving up Herdstones and forgoing the Brayherd traits & warfare for?

9 hours ago, Budda said:

erm why can't you do both?

You....can only have one allegiance ability?

I would say go with the Brayherd allegiance unless you really want to add a lot of non-Brayherd stuff as well. Being forced to take the battalion to get the ambush bonuses seems rough, and the herdstones are pretty awesome (and a fun conversion chance, though your mileage on that may vary...). But the important thing is: test it. Try the Brayherd allegiance, and then try general chaos. What are the differences, do the Brayherd traits feel good? Do you want to run units outside of Brayherd and their allies? Do you really take advantage of Herdstones. Playtesting is the best way to do this, but my gut says relying on a battalion is probably not the best way to go.

30 minutes ago, flamingwalnut said:

You....can only have one allegiance ability?

I would say go with the Brayherd allegiance unless you really want to add a lot of non-Brayherd stuff as well. Being forced to take the battalion to get the ambush bonuses seems rough, and the herdstones are pretty awesome (and a fun conversion chance, though your mileage on that may vary...). But the important thing is: test it. Try the Brayherd allegiance, and then try general chaos. What are the differences, do the Brayherd traits feel good? Do you want to run units outside of Brayherd and their allies? Do you really take advantage of Herdstones. Playtesting is the best way to do this, but my gut says relying on a battalion is probably not the best way to go.

Sound advice thankyou.

I feel some dice rolling coming on...

I made similar thoughts, my conclusion was that the brayherd abilities are great when you want to put your focus on the theme and character of the army, I also made my own herdstone and will add trophies of crushed enemies To it :) 

The Chaos abilities I would take for a more competitive focus. They give you some nice to-hit bonuses, which you need to get your bestigors, allied Bullgors etc. to hit in a reliable manner. Especially combined with the extra attack from the Batallion 

As brayherd you won’t play defensively, so the herdstone will not help you in most of the battle rounds as all the  goats will try to overwhelm the enemy at his front, flanks and back. 

I would agree with that Groje. The Herdstone being a static buff piece does seem a little off for such a mobile army. 

It's still a great excuse for a cool looking model though. I've been collecting bits from my club mates to represent all the races my goats have..., taken a beating from.¬¬

Archived