New Slaves to Darkness player, what to buy next?

AaronWilson

Hey guys, I'm a new player to AoS / Slaves to Darkness. I've just started up my collection and so far have

1 Chaos Lord on Manticore
1 Chaos Sorceror Lord
2 Chaos Chariots
1 Chaos Gorebeast Chariot
28 Chaos Warriors
10 Chaos Knights
10 Chaos Marauder Horsemen

Where do you think I should go next? Varangaurd look oh so tempting..

To me, thats virtually a complete army for the game sizes I like to play at and that from there, choices really mean "more of the same"

One possible direction is to now add another Chaos force, so maybe you add a force of Beastmen, or daemomic servants of your chosen god.

Alternatively, add a whole tribe of Maurauders, both the raiders on foot and horse, and theme some of the units to be hunters, fishermen, trappers & hunters and so on.

1 minute ago, AaronWIlson said:

I like the idea of picking a god to serve though, if I picked one it woulf be Tzeenthch!

In that case, you could do worse than picking up Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower. You get small but serviceable units of Tzeentch Kairoc Acolytes and Tzaangors, a Gaunt Summoner, an Ogroid Thaumaturge and some Horrors, plus the Darkoath Chieftain makes a great character for Slaves to Darkness. 

Oh, and you get a whole fantastic board game to play as well. :D 

6 hours ago, graemelyon said:

In that case, you could do worse than picking up Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower. You get small but serviceable units of Tzeentch Kairoc Acolytes and Tzaangors, a Gaunt Summoner, an Ogroid Thaumaturge and some Horrors, plus the Darkoath Chieftain makes a great character for Slaves to Darkness. 

Oh, and you get a whole fantastic board game to play as well. :D 

Except none of those models are slaves to darkness. :P

8 hours ago, AaronWIlson said:

Hey guys, I'm a new player to AoS / Slaves to Darkness. I've just started up my collection and so far have

1 Chaos Lord on Manticore
1 Chaos Sorceror Lord
2 Chaos Chariots
1 Chaos Gorebeast Chariot
28 Chaos Warriors
10 Chaos Knights
10 Chaos Marauder Horsemen

Where do you think I should go next? Varangaurd look oh so tempting..

Look's like you already have a very sizable force.

If Your'e planning on playing point based games with the GHB i'd say stick with what you got and get some games in to see what you like and dislike unless money is no object in which case do as you wish. If you're looking to stay Slaves of Darkness allegiance I believe varanguard would cause you to lose that. They are awesome however. 

18 minutes ago, AaronWIlson said:

Thanks for your responses guys.

So if I take anything outside of Slaves to Darkness I lose my alligeiance, how does that effect me?

From what we know, having a Slaves to Darkness Allegiance allows you to take Chaos Knights and Marauder Horsemen as Batteline units. Battleline are like your core choices. 

Since there aren't any Slaves to Darkness-specific Allegiance Abilities in the General's Handbook (just the Grand Alliance: Chaos ones), then as long as everything in your army has the Chaos keyword, you can use those. 

The only difference it would make is to Battleline units, and then only in Matched Play games that are using those rules. 

Looking at what's floating around online, it seems that your Chaos Warriors are Battleline regardless, and there are a few other nice choices throughout the various Chaos lists that seem to be Battleline regardless of Allegiance – looks like at least another 9 across Brayherd/various Skaven/various Daemons/Bloodbound. That's a lot of choices and cool models to paint.

If you choose to stick to solely Slaves to Darkness, your Knights and Marauder Horsemen become Battleline, but you're limiting yourself to just what's in that list rather than being able to experience the full majesty of Chaos, as it were.

Neither is the wrong choice – it's just down to what you'd prefer to paint and play with.

And of course, if you're playing Open or Narrative games, the whole Battleline thing is likely a moot point anyway.

Thanks both of you, super helpful responses.

If I was to ally with Tzeencth for example I think I would be okay being able to field enough battle line between Chaos Wariors and whatever Tzeencth battle line units are, but if I was to stick to just StD I could have Chaos Knights and Marauders as battle lint units as well.

But as both are Grand Alliance:Chaos I can stull use the Grand Alliance:Chaos alliegiance abilities, I got it. If StD had any, I would lose it by mixing the army with Tzeencth, similiary with pure Tzeencth compared to a mix.

6 minutes ago, AaronWIlson said:

Thanks both of you, super helpful responses.

If I was to ally with Tzeencth for example I think I would be okay being able to field enough battle line between Chaos Wariors and whatever Tzeencth battle line units are, but if I was to stick to just StD I could have Chaos Knights and Marauders as battle lint units as well.

But as both are Grand Alliance:Chaos I can stull use the Grand Alliance:Chaos alliegiance abilities, I got it. If StD had any, I would lose it by mixing the army with Tzeencth, similiary with pure Tzeencth compared to a mix.

I would say if you decide to break ranks on the StD allegiance, I would go with the Varanguard. Most of the stuff in the Silver Tower box would be redundant to your army as they wouldn't add much to it except maybe the mage. Stuff like the Acolytes and Tzangors are just tzeentch flavored gors and marauders and would only be more useful if you planned to run a magic heavy tzeentch list.

Archived