Ogor/Destruction Plog

Ademo

Thinking about squatter legs got by brain working in weird ways and @Ademo's GorkChosen inspired me to spend a couple of hours creating:

Grombrindal Unforged (supremely wip):

large_GU01.jpg.376a6273164d53663bcea94aa

large_GU03.jpg.b2d6eb2a563041f92ee98e8fe

large_GU02.jpg.a89d104d935dcbbbdfdff7612

And to think, when I finally got my White Dwarf yesterday morning I almost gave the Slaughterpriest away.

Silly background bit justisfying the White Dwarf looking like this:

After a particularly heavy bender on the outer ring of the Realm of Fire (rivaled only by the one left him bereft of his clothes, his axe and all his trademark magic items, leaving him only with a sore head and idiotic hairstyle) Grombrindal, the legendary White Dwarf was caught unaware by a skaven raiding party, formed of the minions of the dread Grey Seer Skurrik. Bored of trying to unlock the secrets of the Stormcast Eternals Skurrik had turned his claw to attempting to create warped counterparts to the legendary Fyreslayers, purchasing scores of duardin slaves from Zharr Goroth slavemasters and hammering shards of pure warpstone into their flesh to little avail.

None of the duardin Skurrik had experimented on had survived more than a few agonising minutes, so when heheard rumours of a legendary immortal duardin, said to be unkillable, even at the hands of the most dread champions of Chaos, the Grey Seer sent his servants abroad across the Mortal Realms to capture this improbable test subject. Upon finally being able to experiment on his coveted subject Spurrik's eagerness quickly turned to frustration and boredom, the duardin displaying no visible discomfort or reaction to the ever increasing warpstone hammered into his flesh, only occasionally waking up to insult Skurrik and burp.

After weeks of static results and almost exhausting his warpstone supply the only noteworthy mutation Skurrik was able to render was a second mouth appearing on the back of the subject's left hand. When the second mouth resolved only to insult Skurrik and burp at him, the Grey Seer resolved to clear his (now massive) warpstone debt and sell the duardin to the Khornate fighting pits of the Brass Horde.

Now just about on the second stage of his hangover (blearily staggering about and whacking things while complaining of a sore head) Grombrindal thrived in the Brass Horde's fighting arenas, the Bloodbound only realising he was impossible to kill moments after they'd run out of warriors to challenge him in the pit with, the White Dwarf having sent the entire tribe's souls back to Khorne.

Now on a stage three hangover Grombrindal wanders the Mortal Realms, convinced enough hair of the dog will drown the warpstone influence out of his system (the second mouth on his hand having become rather annoying, constantly backtalking and asking for more beer), taking his headache out on any servants of Chaos, Death or Destruction who stand in his path.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Double Misfire you're a hard man to please ? but thanks for the feedback! I don't feel he's too skinny anymore but perhaps it's more to do with his height? So Lanky might be a better word? Like you say, most orruks have squatter legs! I'll have a think - I definitely want to keep the original legs in some form, as I feel they are quite a key part of the original mini that I want to carry across but I think perhaps some of @Soulsmith's suggestions might help him seem even more orruky! And if a few parts are bulkier he may feel less lanky?

Anyway, cheers for commenting and looking forward to seeing your duardin take shape - glad my orruk inspired you ?

The slaugterpriest's thighs aren't much to write home about (no1 in statements I thought I'd never type) , so you could try keeping his awesome spikey boots and kneepads and attaching them to to a propper squatter orcy pelvis? I don't know the orc/ork/orruk kits very well so I've got no idea what pelvis I'd recommend starting with (no2 in statements I thought I'd never type).

I don't mind the borders on his plates, just add a few scratches to anything that doesn't look immediately orruky and say it was looted.

Stray thought while hacking details off the discarded legs of my slaughterpriest: it's a bit of an extreme option but you could potentially solve the Gorkchosen's lankiness issues by sticking him on the back of a boar, or even a bigger beastie. The Slaughterpriest's legs would easily fold onto the side of most mounts.

So, I started work on Dorghar...no wait. I mean I started work on orrukifying the legs - it looks messy now but dont worry, I'll make sure he's cleaned up and plated up. Just want to know if its in the right ball park! He is definitely lower to the ground and feels wider.20160912_235905.jpg

Looking good so far!

If I'm not being too fussy maybe try bringing his right leg (the one stood on the skull) in a bit? Orcs legs always seem to 'tuck' under them, and having the right leg out to the side looks slightly unnatural (as unnatural as you can get when it comes to creatures that don't really exist). His waistline might also need bulking up with a bigger belt or some trophies, his abdomen's looking unusually brittle for an orruk (I'd suggest doing what I did with my duardin and actually trimming his abdomen down above the belt, but you've done such an amazing job resculpting his body it would be shame to chop up your hard work).

(Disclaimer: I am way too fussy, and you are a way more talented hobbyist than me. Feel free to disregard everything I say)

Yeh now I lokk at it, the leg has an odd twist but it could just be where it's pinned it has swung out for the photo, it'll be put back in line when I get fixing it up. Can I just check what you mean by 'brittle'? Saw your duardin in the other post - looks great!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Ademo said:

Yeh now I lokk at it, the leg has an odd twist but it could just be where it's pinned it has swung out for the photo, it'll be put back in line when I get fixing it up. Can I just check what you mean by 'brittle'? Saw your duardin in the other post - looks great!

Thanks. It'll be interesting to see if I can combine all the contrasting elements of his look in a way that gets across the narrative I created for him with a consistent paint job, or if he'll come out looking like a messy kitbash. :S

Ergh.... those legs! Why guys, why??? Haha - let's just say they were very testing of my patience, they kept bending and twisting, refusing to stay where they were meant to. Then eventually when they were in position, adding the plates and metal scraps mucked up the alignment again! Argh!!! Anyway. I stuck with it and here's what I ended up with - the mini is now 99% done. I will go over the legs one more time and improve the chainmail texture between plates and straps etc. etc. I decided to keep the chaos looking lower legs as I quite like them and didn't want to remove the details - hopefully I can make them look orruk appropriate with the paint job. Man It's been a long ride! Thanks guys for your input. But I dont think I can spend much longer building. I neeedx to start painting and soon!20160913_223320.jpg

The lower legs don't look supremely chaotic and if you're worried they do, just say he looted them!

He looks awesome, props on the amazing conversion and putting up with my awful input, can't wait to see him painted and vote for him. :D

Out of interest, what are you planning on using him as in game? Orruk Warboss with waaagh banner?

82252de53d00d4cc7f385df4e32cba54.jpg

Phew! Had a big push on this guy today- think he's pretty much done but will have a check over in daylight. Then begins the process of getting the best pic (s) for the comp. Any tips/advice appreciated!

Archived