Ogor/Destruction Plog

Ademo

With the release of the destruction grand alliance book, I decided to collect and paint up a small force of ogres (ogors) and other members of the grand alliance. I've always loved these chubby brutes and I think the models have aged really well and I've always had a soft spot for greenskins too! Part of my mission was to cut costs - so all model purchases will be made on ebay and other second hand or reduced priced outlets - hence the name of the group - 'The Tight-Fist Clan' Like me, they will be a tight fisted bunch.

So - progress so far: completed a unit of 6 ogors - the iron fists are magnetised to allow them to be swapped for an additional weapon (not having played AOS yet... I wasn't sure what the best weapon option would be)

WP_20160614_20_36_55_Rich.jpg

A closer shot of a few members

WP_20160518_17_20_51_Rich.jpg

I'm aiming to give each unit its own 'wound gnoblar' to help keep track of wounds on the unit, here's mine for the first unit:

WP_20160530_21_32_33_Rich.jpg

A close up on the banner and lookout gnoblar:

WP_20160603_11_58_38_Pro.jpg

And lastly, my latest bit of progress - a grot shaman. Really enjoyed painting this guy

WP_20160617_12_19_20_Rich.jpg

C&C welcome!

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the wound gnoblar! That's a great idea.

I did my Ogor heroes on a larger base size than the normal Ogors as well. I feel that it's a nice way to separate them from the normal troops and give them a bit more status.

On the weapons front the Iron fists are nice as they let you play a more defensive role with the Ogor unit. As the mortal-wounds-back activate on a "6 or more", you're allowed to use modifiers on them. Plant them in terrain, and it's 5 or more. Give them mystic shield as well, and you're returning mortal wounds on a 4 or more. Get two mystic shields off on a unit in terrain, and you're cooking with fire! Even the everyday 6 or more beats rerolling 1s in my book.

That's some good advice on the ironfists - I also tend to prefer the look of them too! What are your thoughts on Mournfang weapons? I notice they have the same options as the ogors (and bizarrely no great weapon option) - would they benefit more from ironfists also in your opinion?

2 hours ago, Ademo said:

That's some good advice on the ironfists - I also tend to prefer the look of them too! What are your thoughts on Mournfang weapons? I notice they have the same options as the ogors (and bizarrely no great weapon option) - would they benefit more from ironfists also in your opinion?

I don't really use Mournfang, so take this with a grain of salt, but I'd go for dual weapons. They have a more offensive role to play, so going for rerolling ones to maximise damage output is probably a good idea. They have a better natural save than the regular Ogors, but are also more likely to be out of range of mystic shields

Makes sense, may go for the magnet option to allow both - seems to work quite well. 

Update time! Although it was Fathers' Day today, I managed to squeeze in some hobby time (My son is only 2 weeks old, so he wasn't really up for doing things all day, and the Mrs needed a nap too! - perfect painting window). I constructed 2 of the ironguts and made a start on painting them - so far just the base coat and a wash (reikland on the skin and agrax everywhere else - I love that wash...)

WP_20160619_20_13_32_Rich.jpg

With the other Ogors I painted them without the gutplates on first, but these guys seemed a little more fiddly, so I decided to stick them fully and assume I could get my brush in all the nooks and crannies, so fingers crossed for the layering and highlights. I'm by no means a pro painter, so as long as they are a similar standard to the other boys (not boyz, they're the other ones) I'll be happy!

On another note - with my shamans (shamen? I have another in the pipline) He/they look like the gitmob variety - what are peoples' opinions on the  'sneaky stabbin' spell vs 'curse of da badmoon' and would it be permissible to use him as the moonclan variety? Would certainly help for gobbo models in the future - the night goblins are just sadly so much better than the big hamfisted commons - decisions, decisions...

Small update today - no painting (I find I have painting and building moods - today I was in a building mood). I spent a fair bit of time constructing my tyrant. He sure is a beast! Huge even by ogor standards and being the metal version makes him feel even more brutal - certainly wouldn't want to drop him on my foot that's for sure. I had to spend a bit of time bending and twisting his weapon to make it line up properly with his wrists, this took surprisingly long! I also had to fill the gaps at the wrists and sculpt into a chainmail texture (pretty much stabbing it with my sculpting tool so hope it blends in ok!) 

WP_20160621_21_37_42_Pro.jpg

Also put together the other 2 ironguts from the box - I really like these minis. It wouldn't be warhammer without a few skulls so added a few to the champions base (these were part of a larger cluster in the fantasy resin basing pack).

Although not painting/modelling related - I did play my first game last night and had a great time! This prompted me to get the ironguts together as they performed amazingly! 3 damage is hefty and did a nice job of keeping the chaos warriors and knights they fought in check.

Looking good as always! Glad to hear your first game went well, can't wait to have my first match too some day. I have an old tyrant somewhere, I think he promptly fell apart before a brush ever touched him, as the old large metals were want to do! (whoever designed the old metal hydra was evil)

As painfully unoriginal as it is - I followed the gw rust tutorial vid: Leadbelcher, typhus corrosion, ryza rust then chip edges with runefang - really really simple but I like the effect it gives!

Thanks guys! The Duke - I love the technique, I just meant that I wish I could say I'd discovered something groundbreaking or developed a new method haha!

So - small update, no painting but had a few minutes so I put together a couple of wound gnoblars - one is pretty standard, just an irongut gnoblar, the second is a little bit of a mini diorama (well that might be a stretch but....) It's using an ebay find, a metal gnoblar from the old scraplauncher, I just snipped off the gubbinz on the shovel and thought it'd be fun to turn him in to a gravedigger.WP_20160623_20_39_23_Pro.jpg

Update time! So, a little bit of progress, finished the second irongut for the unit

WP_20160629_15_24_01_Rich.jpg

The astute amongst you may have also noticed a mournfang in the background - I finally plucked up the courage to have a little play with one.

WP_20160629_14_24_06_Rich.jpg

The fur turned out a little darker than intended but I'm actually pretty pleased overall with the look - I think it looks pretty wild and savage - I'll probably do a bit more work on the tusks as I'm not 100% happy, think they need some lightening up.

Lastly - it's my birthday today and I was given the citadel project box by my lovely wife! It's really darn good and a bit concerning how happy it has made me - definitely recommend one if you need a storage solution for your hobby goodies.

WP_20160629_15_06_33_Rich.jpgWP_20160629_15_07_32_Rich.jpg

Thanks! On the subject of riders: any recommendations? Thinking I'll definitely have a hornblower - that charge ability is too good not to, but not sure whether to make the other one a standard or champ or regular guy? Having a pistol is cool from the modelling side but not sure it's hugely worth it. And banners look great too and have some useful function...

Archived