Burn forest basing block, any tips?

Kramer

Hi all, 

I’m struggling to make a vision reality and hope  someone here has a winning tip.

i’m looking to make a burned forest base. So lots of black, maybe the occasional glimmer of something still smoldering etc. but I have no idea where to start...

thanks all!

*optional: the backstory for my slaanesh force is they are invading the realm of Fire from the realm of shadows. They are spartan/Greek inspired so I think a dark base will allow the bronze to pop more. I did a lava base, which was fast, looked good but turned out was to fragile. 

For burnt effects I literally use a match and burn it. You have to just hover the flame over for literally a second as plastic goes up in flames fast. 

For the bases I would get some wood bits off a bits website. Then paint the entire model and Base as you normally would then flambay with a match. 

I'm on holiday at the moment but when I get back I can send a picture of the effects of it on a burnt wing look. 

1 hour ago, MaxPounder said:

For burnt effects I literally use a match and burn it. You have to just hover the flame over for literally a second as plastic goes up in flames fast. 

For the bases I would get some wood bits off a bits website. Then paint the entire model and Base as you normally would then flambay with a match. 

I'm on holiday at the moment but when I get back I can send a picture of the effects of it on a burnt wing look. 

Wow, why didn't I think of that! Actually burning something :D. Would be much obliged for the picture! 

Burning small parts might be difficult.  I would suggest making a forest base, then using some dry brushing and pigments.  For the basing, add some small twigs and paint them, then add some birch pod leaves and grass.  If you wash with Agrax thinned with lahmia, it should provide added stability and good color befor  drybrushing with some grey.  Add a little red/orange really thinned to the center parts for glowing embers, then add the pigments to wash it down and make it look burnt.

I've been thinking about my next basing scheme and have been trawling through various sites and found serious-play.co.uk. Not sure if you've heard of them, I hadn't and I haven't actually bought anything from them as yet, although I reckon I will probably pick up a whole bunch of stuff in the new year, but I've been scanning through and saw some of the following things that I was reminded of by your post:

https://www.serious-play.co.uk/collections/modelling-flock/products/scorched-earth-modelling-flock

https://www.serious-play.co.uk/collections/standard-grass-tufts/products/pine-brown-2mm-standard-grass-tufts

There's all sorts of other bits one there (I'm sure I've seen some black tufts, but couldn't find them when i looked today) and I've no doubt there are cheaper options, but it got the creative juices flowing for me, so thought I'd pass on the links in case you'd not seen them.

7 hours ago, Tzaangor Management said:

I've been thinking about my next basing scheme and have been trawling through various sites and found serious-play.co.uk. Not sure if you've heard of them, I hadn't and I haven't actually bought anything from them as yet, although I reckon I will probably pick up a whole bunch of stuff in the new year, but I've been scanning through and saw some of the following things that I was reminded of by your post:

https://www.serious-play.co.uk/collections/modelling-flock/products/scorched-earth-modelling-flock

https://www.serious-play.co.uk/collections/standard-grass-tufts/products/pine-brown-2mm-standard-grass-tufts

There's all sorts of other bits one there (I'm sure I've seen some black tufts, but couldn't find them when i looked today) and I've no doubt there are cheaper options, but it got the creative juices flowing for me, so thought I'd pass on the links in case you'd not seen them.

Those look really good! I just might give them a go!  Thanks! 

The quick and dirty way I'd tackle it would be to make the base up with twigs and other foresty bits.  Then use a can of black spray (or an airbrush) and just dust over the top.  Once dry go in with a light drybrush of orange and then pale grey to make it look like bits are still smouldering.  This would need you to make the bases up without the models on.

Archived