Skaven Chieftan with Standard

bushman101

hey,

Keeping your Clanrats from fleeing is half the battle. Before GH17, I was using the Crown of Domination to hand out the extra Inspirational Presence. Now it only works on a successful die roll.

I know people are using Greyseers to help with Morale but what of the Chieftan?

How do people feel about the Chieftan? Or other AoS app models, for that matter?

Does the chieftain affect bravery at all? I don't see anything like that on its warscroll, but I'd love to be wrong ;)

The grey seer is the best answer to bravery problems. Screeching bell being a good second option. Outside of that, Warlord on brood horror helps as well, but that's where our bravery safety stops :(

The rules are: 

Sacred banner of the horned rat: 
In your hero phase you can declare that this model will plant his battle standaard and call upon the curse of the Horned Rat. If you do, you may not move this model until your next hero phase but in the battleshock phase, Skaven units from your army that are within 13" do not need to take battleshock tests. In addition, you can re-roll hit rolls of 1 for all Skaven units in your army that are within 13" of a planted Banner of the Horned Rat. 

Also he can stab your general if he has one wound left to become general. Not very useful but oh so characterful. Love it. 

2 hours ago, Kramer said:

The rules are: 

Sacred banner of the horned rat: 
In your hero phase you can declare that this model will plant his battle standaard and call upon the curse of the Horned Rat. If you do, you may not move this model until your next hero phase but in the battleshock phase, Skaven units from your army that are within 13" do not need to take battleshock tests. In addition, you can re-roll hit rolls of 1 for all Skaven units in your army that are within 13" of a planted Banner of the Horned Rat. 

Also he can stab your general if he has one wound left to become general. Not very useful but oh so characterful. Love it. 

This rule is old and no longer exists. The chieftain bsb warscroll was compendiumed (so cannot even use it in competetive play) and the rule was changed to the one below (see attachment). Check the skaven compendium book. 

Screenshot_20171110-113335.png

22 minutes ago, Flood said:

This rule is old and no longer exists. The chieftain bsb warscroll was compendiumed (so cannot even use it in competetive play) and the rule was changed to the one below (see attachment). Check the skaven compendium book. 

Screenshot_20171110-113335.png

I stand corrected. It still showed as the old rule but when I deleted the scroll, restarted the app, it showed the rules like you showed. 

2 hours ago, RoyalDachshund said:

Well... can he still stab-kill the dying general to seize the command? 

Still got the old warscroll and the new one is not downloading (guess I'll redo the entire app)

You actually dont need to renew the entire app. I think if you click and hold the document image (what used to be the download button), you can delete that one warscroll and redownload it. At that point it will be updated. Alternatively, you can download to skaven compendium book in the apps under the "generals handbook" section. 

And to answer your question, yes he can still stab the poor general in the back to obtain a brief moment of influence before dying himself :p. Just what every skaven lives for.

Screenshot_20171110-150855.png

This was a huge kick in the teeth for skaven players. There is no reason you cant make a battle standard out of the Stormremin box, so there was no reason to discontinue him, and even less reason to change his scroll. 

This is another example of the shortsightedness of GW's balancing. When viewed in a bubble, sure - the concept of 300 clanrats that are immune to battleshock seems overpowered. But, if you contrast that with actual game results, skaven have never done well at any tournament, and were (with the old BSB) a mid-tier army at best. After this change Verminous is no longer a list.

The concept behind it seems to be their +2 bravery for every 10 models, a trait given to Pestelins and Skyre. Unfortunately it was not given to anyone else, so at the moment those are really the only half-decent lists you can take with Skaven at the moment. I think this emphasizes the fact that Skaven are not chaos and should be in their own grand alliance, where they could have an overall 'Skaven' Allegiance trait which includes the Strength in Numbers for any and all Skaven lists.

Until the GH:2017 squashed my fun, I was really getting into Verminous lists with clanrats, stormvermin & the Verminlord Warbringer. My only hope is the exclusion of verminous in the GH:2017 (and the complete squatting of the BSB) is indication that they are getting ready to release a new Verminous Battletome. Unfortunately, there is absolutely no evidence to support this theory. If you look at recent history, the most likely situation for Verminous is that GW will ignore them, only bringing them up if they want to add some arbitrary nerf in a FAQ.

You can still enjoy Skaven to an extent as a mixed chaos list, but there is no real incentive to this so generally you would just be confining yourself to a limited chaos list for thematic reasons. Some people like the idea if throwing in a Bloodthirster with your Skaven. Personally I feel like this is a slap in the face to 30 years of lore so, its not for me.

12 minutes ago, WoollyMammoth said:

This was a huge kick in the teeth for skaven players. There is no reason you cant make a battle standard out of the Stormremin box, so there was no reason to discontinue him, and even less reason to change his scroll. 

This is another example of the shortsightedness of GW's balancing. When viewed in a bubble, sure - the concept of 300 clanrats that are immune to battleshock seems overpowered. But, if you contrast that with actual game results, skaven have never done well at any tournament, and were (with the old BSB) a mid-tier army at best. After this change Verminous is no longer a list.

The concept behind it seems to be their +2 bravery for every 10 models, a trait given to Pestelins and Skyre. Unfortunately it was not given to anyone else, so at the moment those are really the only half-decent lists you can take with Skaven at the moment. I think this emphasizes the fact that Skaven are not chaos and should be in their own grand alliance, where they could have an overall 'Skaven' Allegiance trait which includes the Strength in Numbers for any and all Skaven lists.

Until the GH:2017 squashed my fun, I was really getting into Verminous lists with clanrats, stormvermin & the Verminlord Warbringer. My only hope is the exclusion of verminous in the GH:2017 (and the complete squatting of the BSB) is indication that they are getting ready to release a new Verminous Battletome. Unfortunately, there is absolutely no evidence to support this theory. If you look at recent history, the most likely situation for Verminous is that GW will ignore them, only bringing them up if they want to add some arbitrary nerf in a FAQ.

You can still enjoy Skaven to an extent as a mixed chaos list, but there is no real incentive to this so generally you would just be confining yourself to a limited chaos list for thematic reasons. Some people like the idea if throwing in a Bloodthirster with your Skaven. Personally I feel like this is a slap in the face to 30 years of lore so, its not for me.

I totally agree. I like my skaven but each list i write makes me one step closer to giving up on them. Considering a sylvaneth list at this point :( (What a sell out aye?) Hopefully my enormous skaven collection will have some relevance in the future. 

Skaven are deceptively strong :) do not despair. We have all the tools we need to compete, and can only become even stronger going forward, due to lack of battallions and allegience abilities etc ;)

For reference, I generally use mixed skaven chaos allegiance. Emphasizing board control with heavy use of clanrats, magic heroes, and plagueclaws. Board control is something Skaven excell at due to their high-numbers + high mobility. They CAN punch like a rock, but that's not where their biggest strength lie. 

Do not run-flee!!

51 minutes ago, tolstedt said:

Dude if your rats are running away just bring more rats.

@tolstedt's turn

Hero phase 

<->

Move phase

<---------------------------------------->

Shooting phase

<->

Charge

<-------------->

Combat phase

<---------------------->

Battleshock 

All + more rats run. 

5 hours ago, Flood said:

I totally agree. I like my skaven but each list i write makes me one step closer to giving up on them. Considering a sylvaneth list at this point :( (What a sell out aye?) Hopefully my enormous skaven collection will have some relevance in the future. 

Its not a sell out to abandon your old product to buy new product. Its what GW is betting on to increase their sales.

If they release a new Battletome:Verminous, they might make $40 (assuming you don't pirate it, which is absurdly easy these days). If they 'support' an old army by releasing some new models for it (they have yet to do this at all in AoS) They might make $100-200 off you buying supplementary boxes. 

If they instead, kick your army while its down, while releasing beautiful new, tournament-winning armies, you are likely to spend about $400. Or, closer to $700 if that army is Fyreslayers. On a completely unrelated note, Fyreslayers just started winning every tournament....what a coincidence.

In all seriousness, the new armies (SCE, Khorne, Tzeentch, Fyreslayers, Sylvaneth, Ironjaws, Kharadron & Archaon) are gorgeous & fun. Everyone who enjoys AoS really should supplement their 'old' armies with the wonderful new models. You can add on to your army with new models from yoru grand alliance (unless you play death..) or start over with a totally new army while every day hoping GW finally comes around and starts supporting your favorite army.

Archived