FEC- the blind court

Kisufisu

I recently started getting back to miniatures with a friend after a long hiatus. We both used to play fantasy battle a long time ago so we decided to give Age of Sigmar a try. So, I started a flesh-eater courts army, and I have just managed to paint the contents of one of the starting boxes.

I really don't like the ugly human faces of the ghouls and horrors and the rest, so I kind of just went with the idea of them all having armor plating covering their eyes. I also wanted to do some minor converting, so I gave my army some additional plating just so it wouldn't look so much like a wave of naked flesh.  I did come up with a lore-ish explanation for it though. The abhoorrant king of the court sees flashes of reality, where he momentarily sees through his madness. Not being able to believe that his mighty court is actually just a gory horde of cannibals, the king thinks that the flashes of reality are some kind of evil visions tormenting him, possibly created by a powerful magical adversary. So, wanting to protect his loyal people from such terrible hallucinations, he decides to nail armor over everyones eyes or otherwise blind them. The people see the king laying protective halos upon their heads, and thank him for it. The king thinks he is protecting his people, he is a good king after all. So is the blind court born!

fec3.jpg.c6004fdf4963d9f8b63f8291d632bbb7.jpg

Here's what I have so far. The bases are mostly just random greenstuff, toothpicks, and cardboard pieces. The whole army has been painted using only 5 paints: abaddon black, ceramite white, temple guard blue, evil sunz scarlet, and balor brown. Reason for this is because the paints were damn expensive and I'm poor :D

fec6f.jpg.da83983f875002777dfa8d20e605bc3f.jpg

The king on foot, which I actually built from random scratch before I bought the starting box. This dude includes stuff like an old beastman, harpys wings, toothpicks, and, like 7 years old green stuff.

fec5f.jpg.1514ded7875f8daa68e08a8973ef2310.jpg

Basic ghoul-guys with minor conversion(=slab random green stuff bits on them), and a ghast courtier i also threw together from random bits before I got the FEC box. He has stuff like, tau torso & legs, goblin head, skaven arms, toothpicks, and green stuff. He is wearing a tinier version of the kings crown. I also like the idea he is carrying around a dinner bell, that seems like a great war chant for these guys!

fec7f.jpg.10c6a47c750d92bb73be6354273044d1.jpg

Second tiny unit of ghouls. These guys are made of old plaguebearers, except the derpy guy on the far left, he's a random conversion. These guys are a bit bigger than normal ghoul models, but I think they work well enough and are actually quite a nice change to normal FEC models. One can also think that they are somekind of elite ghoul unit, like the "king's ghouls".

fec9f.jpg.6253371563e9fb3ad29a34876080c9bc.jpg

Crypt horrors. These guys aren't really special, I just gave them some legplating and helmet-thingies. On one note, I didn't like the gravestone one of them was holding as it didn't fit the basing, I just gave him a bloody torso carry instead.

fec8f.jpg.f120c85dfe5311b9c4e7550ecdd77f73.jpg

The terrorgheist was kind of a rush job, seems like I just don't have the patience for the larger models.

So there's what I have so far, comments and terrible, terrible criticism welcomed. Also, if someone can tell me what are good models to add next, I'd appreciate it. I do have 3 green stuff-abominations of flayers made out of the left over wings and vargheist heads from the starting box. They have horse legs. seriously, I just cut off the hind legs of 3 high elf horses I've had since I was a kid. They look weird and I love them. I am waiting for the bases for them to arrive, and I gotta buy some more greenstuff to make them, well, less horsefooty. I also have an old dark elf dragon that I am converting into a zombie dragon with the leftover dragon & rider bits from the starting box. Aaaaand also also I plan to convert the old boar riding Wurrzag(or whatever that orc shaman's name was) into a weird ghoul king on foot or a fec-themed necromancer ally.

Hahaha very fun write up! You can't be that poor i you're player a GW game ;) 

Love the consistant conversion across the army. With the fluff it becomes a logical them and really makes your army unique well done!

As to C&C I would also buy one or two shades your next purchase. I came back to the hobby about 14 months ago and that has been the single biggest tip that upgraded my painting  in one go. It really makes life so much easier. Agrax Earthshade and Nuln Oil have become two must haves in my paint set. 

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NL/Painting-Modelling?N=749935623+882366425&Nr=AND(product.locale%3Aen_NL_gw%2Csku.siteId%3ANL_gw)&Nrs=collection()%2Frecord[product.startDate+<%3D+1509957960000+and+product.endDate+>%3D+1509957960000]

45 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Hahaha very fun write up! You can't be that poor i you're player a GW game ;) 

Love the consistant conversion across the army. With the fluff it becomes a logical them and really makes your army unique well done!

As to C&C I would also buy one or two shades your next purchase. I came back to the hobby about 14 months ago and that has been the single biggest tip that upgraded my painting  in one go. It really makes life so much easier. Agrax Earthshade and Nuln Oil have become to must haves in my paint set. 

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NL/Painting-Modelling?N=749935623+882366425&Nr=AND(product.locale%3Aen_NL_gw%2Csku.siteId%3ANL_gw)&Nrs=collection()%2Frecord[product.startDate+<%3D+1509957960000+and+product.endDate+>%3D+1509957960000]

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, gw stuff takes money, and the problem was mostly that it is always an expensive hobby to restart even with existing old models, since there's the battletomes, miniatures, paints, glues, green stuffs, etc. to buy.  My money situation atm is bad so I've had to cut all the corners I can just so I can actually dabble in the hobby even a bit. Converting old childhood miniatures into new ones goes a long way though! I actually would have wanted to add at least purple into the army's color scheme too, but I had money for only 5 paints after the green stuff and glues etc. I am considering adding it still, but not completely sure how i would implement it into the already painted figures. Maybe give their arms and legs a purple tone? I dunno. My friend bought a shade box, so i might test out those first, thanks for the advice.

Also, thinking about the future of this army, I am thinking of just buying another starter box, since it gives me extra parts to once again convert 3 vargheist/flayer thingies(this time with leftover old cold one legs -yes, the fat ones!), and I am too salty over paying 37€ for a box of just 3 flayers/horrors. So atleast, no deadwatch flayer spam army for me :E Although, while waiting for my friend to paint his army a bit further, I have also thought of rebasing/reconverting/repainting my old clan skryre models into a tiny army. And I have much interest towards a small sylvaneth or tzeentch army in the future, once I can afford one that is. But I guess those are a thing for another post :D

• 2 weeks later...

NEW STUFF! though, we'll start with some modified old stuff.

fec12.jpg.6c3a634e8b1a8b144f3e78dd364c6bf6.jpgfec11.jpg.26bdced8e0e741543c81faeeaae8aba9.jpgfec10.jpg.8d3da27df542b42eaf31bf516c61663e.jpg

Gave the crypt horrors some random bits for added detail and painted a sickly scabby purple to their hands and feet. Next, actually new stuff!

fec13.jpg.7570fcaff2be9cc69c53a901d6acc669.jpg

Another crypt ghast courtier, this time made of an old dark elf harpy. The angry skeleton growing out of his back is a weird dead conjoined twin brought back by the necromantic powers flowing through the courtier and their habitat, and everyone sees him as a prince who talks etc. That, or this guy just rammed a random skeleton in his own spine for giggles. Who knows.

fec15.jpg.23a3963ff12700ddb4e8cdb8145f46f3.jpg

This menacing looking fella is kind of a comedy piece. Made out of a doomdivers torso and maybe skaven feet :D or goblin? anyway. I like the idea that this guy is so jealous of the flayers(not yet finished) that he tries to be like them veeeery forcibly. For gaming purposes, he's just a poor little ghoul.

fec14.jpg.16168f553a414d459ee16bc96ba6f0d7.jpg

Allied necromancer, thrown together from an old necrach vampire, chaos swordy bit, some hands, and a spooky scary ghost skull! I know the tooth hanging from the hood isnt painted, since I havent yet figured out what I'm gonna do with the hood. Simple stuff, mostly I just wanted to get a necromancer done fast, probably gonna make another that is more FEC-styled later. I like that this guy's scroll is so full of evil of evil evilness, that it has a spirit skull coming out of it. That's how you know the scroll's evil!

fec16.jpg

A new abhorrant ghoul king on foot, made out of the old orc shaman riding a boar, wurrzag ub ura zahubu or something like that.

And then for some WIP Stuff:

fec17.jpg.c4d981a0d60e0cbc6e98677d37274439.jpgfec20.jpg.83fa1490aa2b0f333646f1c503b5a402.jpgfec19.jpg.f799bd7c9366253704b88bc8c3a649a3.jpgfec18.jpg.ff9ffb26c821fa1628cf0b9acdd688d5.jpg

Ghoul king on zombie dragon, made out of an old black dragon, green stuff, and the left over bits from the zombie dragon/terrorgheist in the starter box. The vampire himself is just the basic vamp lord in the box, I just switched the head to a goblins head, and stuck skeleton parts on the shield and lance. Still a lot to paint and who knows when the base arrives. Oh well, next time, the horse-footy flayers!

fec16.jpg

More stuff! Last time I forgot to add that I built more ghouls out of left over bits, making my total 30 now. The starting box had some extra ghoul heads and arms, so I figured I'd just use some old goblin  and skaven legs I've had since I was a kid. The legs are shorter and more awkward when compared to normal ghoul legs, but the sizes of the figures match, and they kind of meld into the ghoul mass anyways.

fec21.jpg.67a4fbeaa8567d42227184b7a3d9ebe0.jpg

fec22.jpg.585d3168a2ace8aa52ada990f5739182.jpg

Then for some more WIP stuff. First, the horse-footy flayers are coming together slowly but surely:

fec23.jpg.0eb2725c794c4ba2630107fa0cd3068c.jpg

As I chose to build crypt horrors out of the starting box, I was left with the vargheist heads, backs, and wings. naturally, I decided to make my own flayers out of them. I much prefer the bat-heads of the vargheists to the flayer heads anyways. To still get a bit of that horror/flayer spiny back thingy, I just stuck random spikes into these guys. The legs are random old high elf horse legs, with toes made out of greenstuff. Torsos were also just bulks of green stuff with a piece of plastic etc inside them, to save a bit of gs. Then there's just random armor plating and blinding helmets out of gs and cardboard.

Theeeeen some pics of the zombie dragon progress, not hurrying too much with this since I have no idea when the base arrives.

fec24.jpg.763500df9f100870f30397b552966945.jpg

fec25.jpg.a8b3c46fef62cc55e424cfea681f1516.jpg

fec26.jpg.b3f8e760d302a85975b6e871c41d0a63.jpg

Still lots of random detail to paint, more work on the king with the crown, goblet, book etc. Havent fully decided on the lance either, maybe a blue glowy type effect. I like the glowy insides/neck/mouth of the dragon, though I have to switch the light paint to the back of the tongue, now it just looks silly. I guess I tried to make it look like it was spitting something out, rather than have the light glow from within the mouth. Not sure about the bright red gory bits on the dragon yet, but atleast without the bright red base, they give a nice contrast. Might end up darkening/recoloring them once I get the base done. Probably gonna have to do more work than the average "green stuff for the gory blood ground and toothpicks for glowy necromantic crystal thingies" of the rest of the army, since I probably gotta repose the dragon to point a bit downwards. probably gonna use the stonebits leftover from the original terrogheist/zd.

Next time, painted flayers! I hope.

Progress on flayers:

fec27.jpg.8ff98f5cb668337c7788e9bd85901e8a.jpg

fec28.jpg.0c7a40b609108aa3bae56b0e86e063a4.jpg

fec29.jpg.15ef203f5e973a576efb586ac795a19e.jpg

Stil gotta clean up the painting a lot but they are atleast "playable" now.  The spikes could be a bit more gory, but I have no idea what to do with the blue back hair. Maybe just some blue washing, I don't know yet... Anyway, pretty working flayers out of leftover and random bits.

And then something completely new and random! I found the riding version of the necrarch vampire, so I figured I'd make an allied necromancer on a steed, just because.

fec30.jpg.f07d89bbeded1c9e9508d46314dfed90.jpg

fec31.jpg.95121507b823e24b558451b29cffb465.jpg

I have no idea where either of those necrarch's other hands are, I actually think I bought the necrarch 2-guy box for very cheap since some bits were missing. This would have been years and years ago, when I was a kid. I never collected vampire counts, so I have no other explanation for why I would have these. Anyways, this is the base of the necromancer, professionally put together with blu tack for testing! I will be adding a ton of other bone related stuff with green stuff, and will probably remove the spear from the skeleton and give them skulls. I happened to find another one of those chaos swordy bits that had already been broken, so I got a similar looking staff for the necromancer as well. No extra severed hands I'm afraid, so either I add something else or just leave it like that. The flag might be a bit over the top too, for a moment I thought this guy could double as an army standard, though I don't even know if those are still a thing :D probably not. Also, I will cut off the old square base and switch to the one under the figure.

And the weirdest bit for last!

fec32.jpg.ba598b85a292ad6aafd06359e9b90daf.jpg

fec33.jpg.1f82aae19142cf306f821da3e8368e93.jpg

This is a weird one, some one of you might recognize this old toy:

index.jpg.a5ac529af9213fb5056f79d89f0cd585.jpg

It's some little bat familiar or something from some old spidey toy. I have no idea where Morbius himself might be(shame, might make nice bits for a varghulf), I found the little guy from my parents' place ages ago, thinking I might try turning it into somekind of chaos demon or something. But now, he's probably gonna be my crypt infernal courtier. A ton of work there, as I've just started. Probably gonna add more armor pieces or skeleton bits, and mod the weapon thingie somehow. and a crown, definitely a crown. Well, maybe a crown. I do already have a base for him, I just haven't decided if I want to put him sitting on a crystal/rock, or maybe stick him on one of those see-through sticks, I think I have one around somewehere from the old doomdiver kit.

a bit more progress on the necromancer on nightmare:

fec34.jpg.6c5aeb6f401b43ba27e0c3c11485e801.jpg

fec35.jpg.2ebe0449c8422dc714939010eab72f3a.jpg

Got rid of the flag and added some skulls. Still need to figure out what to do with the staff. I was gonna hang skulls on its sides, more specifically the upper parts of those skull thingies now on the horse, but I decided to use them to build random skeleton warriors just for fun. Also, probably gonna add some ghotly flame-type thingies on the skeletons tied at the back of the horse, and maybe the horses head. And I don't actually know if this is the right base size, maybe it should be one of those oval bases.

Then, a bit more of the infernal courtier:

fec36.jpg.30bf3de1c3c6cb5bac6c72b868db4122.jpg

fec37.jpg.0e7c0ace6f0e8591587348037738326a.jpg

Now he's based, just went with the giant rock/crystal thingie because the transparent flystick would be the only one in the army, and I think it would look too different. Next I will probably add more armor pieces, maybe some bone spikes. And I have to figure out what to do with the stick/weapon. Either I'm just gonna add torn ribbons on the stick, or I might switch the whole thing to something else. Maybe make him hold a severed hand etc and put a bloody torso in the other hand. We'll see.

Oookay some more progress! And some new stuff!

fec38.jpg.c6b32c2784b9525e97cdfba7834a0f0b.jpg

fec39.jpg.8cf22b24e706ad3915f4dcfb96146ff6.jpg

The necromancer on nightmare steed is coming along well. Still gotta do the weird gory stuff/crystals to the base, which I know is the wrong size, but it doesn't really matter to me. I'm not even sure if I'm ever gonna play this guy, anyway :D Might add some green stuff roping to tie up the skeletons, but I'm not sure if I want to do that. Might be cooler to just leave them looking as bony as possible. Also, not sure if I want to leave the horses errrr vestments(?) as clean as they are now. Might add more ghostly flames to it, like the rest of the figure.

fec40.jpg.010f49a0eb6e84a8883ed292b3371198.jpg

The infernal courtier is almost ready for coating and painting, probably gonna add some random detail like bones or skulls or chains. I decided I like the "weapon" as it is, just added the ribbons.

Then for something not-so-FEC. I am gonna branch out to the rest of the grand alliance at some point, so I thought I would see if I could build some basic skeleton warriors out of my bits:

fec41.jpg.e8b992204ee0e092adddedd0b9c45061.jpg

fec42.jpg.3d828b681f8a18d066cc9fde2f58e4bb.jpg

We used to trade random bits with friends when I was a kid, so I have all kinds of weird miniatyre corpses laying around in my bitzbox. I had once bought a box of skeletons, mostly to use for converting other stuff, so I had some heads and torsos left, and a ton of legs and spear-arms. The rest of the skeletons consist of other weird stuff I found, there's even a whole dark elf spear guy there that I'm gonna paint to look like a skeleton. I loved the whole randomness the skeletons offered, and I think they look much more interesting than some basic spooky bois. I mean skeletons.  Still gonna mod these guys a bit while waiting for the bases (which might take 3 weeks -.-), mostly by adding some random arrows and swords/daggers impaling them. Might also convert some hair or helmets on some of the skulls. I made a total 15 of these guys, since apparently I own an old grave guard command group and 2 basic spear skellies with armor(might be graveguard too), so my skeleton count is already 20 strong. If I decide I want to replace the command group with spear skellies, I can probably still bash 3 more together with random bits, although I am out of skulls and torsos. Some random chaos armor/helmet pieces might do.

fec43.jpg.b1ae67504e4fb24426dab3b06a4e5a8c.jpg

All together.

The bases for the skeletons and zombie dragon arrived, so I have started working on those. Additionally, I managed to paint the necromancer and the spiderman-batguy-toy infernal courtier:

fec44.jpg.7cad3545bee55a28052e3ef0d0a6f17b.jpg

fec45.jpg.b68b8e87ef25b5197a65f39a109089fd.jpg

Kind of rushed through with painting this one, just wanted to get it done. Gonna paint some details later and fix stuff like the red on the hand.

fec46.jpg.37ab77bad58e4457a9a05bafcf6d5033.jpg

This guy actually ended up looking pretty cool. Tried something new with the crystal on the base, and I kinda like the result! The weapon still needs some paints, but I will probably get to that once I get the skellies and the ZD on bases.

• 2 weeks later...

More stuff! I have been working on a greenskin warband for skirmish, so I haven't had the time for the undead fellas in a while. I decided to finally get some paint on the skellies though, so here goes!

FEC47.jpg.78d48914a5b85c11791667a6a2965e8b.jpg

FEC48.jpg.8ebb1e9ce0636c8e36664fcaf4b42585.jpg

FEC49.jpg.4898247d76e72f47313ccd0dfb42ce1d.jpg

FEC50.jpg.1601c6a51936eca02a33f07e55cbbe81.jpg

FEC51.jpg.ad5ad61eae57aa495b5e7b04407119f1.jpg

As can be seen, the paintjob on these guys was pretty rushed, and the white drybrush kind of f*cked up some bits. I might come back to those later, although one has to remember these guys are meant to be just basic skeletons, and I don't really have the patience for painting them well when no one will ever see them from among the 20 or 30 other skellies. The converting is my favorite part anyway. Even though the command group is from the old grave guard, those guys will just count as skeletons. Also, there was not a whole lot to convert on them, except for the standard, since I couldnt find the original one. The flags on the standard are not really that crooked, it's just the angle of the photo. Also, I will fix the markings on the flags, they are actually much better on the backside :D Funnily enough I did find the original standard days after converting these guys, but at that point I liked the converted one better. Anyway, I like these guys well enough, I still think they are more interesting looking on the field than basic naked skeletons. The dude with the axe buried in his head is my favorite, but don't tell that to the others.

Then, a new guy!

FEC52.jpg.da00799a1d3e772424676db2e6448a9f.jpg

I found an old vampire(I swear, this is the last old VC figure I had), and with all the armor stuff going on with the rest of the army, felt he could still fit even if he seems a bit too dressed up for the flesh-eater tastes. He did need a bit more "primal" feeling though, so I added the wings of an old DE harpy that I still had lying around, and gave him the corpse to gnaw on. Guess I still gotta fix the hand holding the snack, it didn't look so smudgy in my forgiving work-light.

Soooo yeah, still got the zombie dragon to base and finish, then I've kind of run out of death-miniatures. That's actually okay, since I kind of gotta wait for my friend to finish some of his army anyway. TBH I'm not even sure what would be the next mini/minis to get, though I have always loved the morghast models, maybe that's something I will consider next. I am also currently slowly working on greenskin and nurgle skirmish warbands and a clan skryre army from my old minis, so it might be a while before I get new death-stuff after the ZD. ofc, first I have to finish the darn dragon :D

Archived