Triumph and Treachery Threeway Tips

Kramer

Whatsup my peepz,

Next weekend I have 2 mates over (although a 3rd might be there as well). It's a great moment to test the Triumph and Treachery rules from GhB17. 

But what are you experiences with the rules? I watched a game by Miniwargaming in which everybody just kept 'spamming' the change alliance ability and their suggestion was to limit all treacheries to ones per player per turn. What do you think?

Als with three players, square tables or the usual 6:4?

(my strategy in a meme):

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor treachery triumph

Our group has simple house rule to counter the whole "secret alliance" spam. Basically you can never use any treachery twice in a row so for example, if I use secret alliance, before I can use it again, I must use one of the other treacheries first (and it doesn't matter how many turns or phases I wait).

Another house rule we have is for those secret objectives. Basically at the end of your turn you can drop your current secret objective and roll for another. This way, players won't be stuck with hard or down right impossible secret objectives.

Also for table size we just use the usual 6:4, some scenarios would be almost unplayable in any other.

Agreed, limit people to not being able to use the same treachery twice in a row or possibly one use per game and jobs a good one!  Also, photocopy the treacheries out on a sheet - it makes it a lot easier in game to glance down an A4 page than keep flicking through the GHb or set of cards ;)

3 hours ago, angrycontra said:

Our group has simple house rule to counter the whole "secret alliance" spam. Basically you can never use any treachery twice in a row so for example, if I use secret alliance, before I can use it again, I must use one of the other treacheries first (and it doesn't matter how many turns or phases I wait).

That might be a better solution. 

3 hours ago, angrycontra said:

Another house rule we have is for those secret objectives. Basically at the end of your turn you can drop your current secret objective and roll for another. This way, players won't be stuck with hard or down right impossible secret objectives.

Good call!

44 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Also, photocopy the treacheries out on a sheet - it makes it a lot easier in game to glance down an A4 page than keep flicking through the GHb or set of cards ;)

Haha, that's the most practical tip as yet. That's going on the list for sure. 

Don't forget you have to roll for the abilities to go off (although you can increase the odds by paying more TPs). In a 3-player game, no-one should be generating enough TPs to spam anything, although the Secret Alliance is definitely the most powerful one available. To get around it, you just need to make sure each of you is trying to engage the other two - so if someone pulls the ol' switcheroo, you've still got options.

On 10/31/2017 at 12:34 PM, CyderPirate said:

Don't forget you have to roll for the abilities to go off (although you can increase the odds by paying more TPs). In a 3-player game, no-one should be generating enough TPs to spam anything, although the Secret Alliance is definitely the most powerful one available. To get around it, you just need to make sure each of you is trying to engage the other two - so if someone pulls the ol' switcheroo, you've still got options.

Hmm, good point. Ah, I think will just wing it. Another friend might be joining but as het has never played AoS. It gives as a good opportunity to play a 500pt test game for him and will see how big the impact is. If it's to prevalent will try one of the suggestions above. 

Thanks all!

On 11/3/2017 at 7:08 PM, CyderPirate said:

Only other bit of advice would be to try and have some counters for VPs and TPs. We just used the gold and power tokens from the Game of Thrones card game. 

Good call! I'll see what I have lying around. Shouldn't be a problem. 

Archived