Nurgle blightkings good or bad?

Boomfrickle02

Played my first couple of games with them. Hit really hard, will be fantastic for dealing with hordes I would have thought, especially if you can get them a +1 to hit. Really needs a harbinger though, mortal wounds really suck against them at 3 wounds. Please give them DR!

On 11/1/2017 at 8:24 PM, Thomas Lyons said:
  1. Command Traits like Cunning Deceiver, which stacked with the other penalties to hit in Nurgle makes your units fairly invulnerable for the first turn.
  2. Items, while toned down, still have a number of nice offerings including the Crown which gives you an extra battleshock immune unit 1/3 of the time and a 5+ ward save against Order.
  3. Nauseous Revulsion shuts off your mortal wounds output from Plaguetouched Warband, one of the best costed  battalion options we have.  
  4. Healing from Corrupted Regrowth has a limited effect on a Nurgle Mortals army.
  5. Unpredictable Destruction, while random and unreliable, is still a great boon to Blightkings and their exploding attacks.  The bonus to wound from Fecund Vigour offers no similar benefit in Nurgle Mortal armies (while granted it does have some benefit for Nurgle Daemon armies).
  6. If you go Chaos allegiance, you can grab things you can't normally ally in, like Blue Scribes (which can let you reliably cast Sayl's teleport and Glottkin's Vigor spells, something you wouldn't be able to do otherwise).  
  7. Finally, the Cycle of Corruption is utterly unreliable.  You don't get to choose where the cycle starts, so you'll be getting buffs sometimes when you don't need them while buffs that you definitely need could remain unavailable for entire games given the random character of the cycle.  Compare this to Fyreslayers who have a similar suite of abilities in their allegiance abilities...but they get to pick exactly when their buffs fire off.   In competitive play, reliability is really important and this mechanic is arguably less reliable than the Chaos Allegiance's ability.

Seven reasons. That seems pretty Nurgle-ish.  If I need to come up with 7 more for you, I could probably make that happen as well.  Until we get a full suite of Traits, Items, and Prayers, the Nurgle allegiance is DOA to me.  Once we get those other things, I'll evaluate Nurgle allegiance and, if that other stuff is strong enough, I'll run it and just ignore/not rely on the terrible Cycle mechanic like I do Chaos Allegiance's currently.

1. I find when you use cunning deceiver, the opponent plays it safe and goes for positioning.. knowing the trait goes away after turn one. Has never been very effective for me. 

2. The crown is useful, in some army compositions, but not in all. and the only other artifact worth taking is the runeblade. 

3. For one turn.. and depending on your cycle it may not even affect the game or come into play at all! My last game I got this result as turn 1.. so literally affected nothing. 

4. Mortal nurgle has many multi-wound or high wound count models.. no I think its high potential actually. Glotkin and/or the EGUO would heal 2d3 wounds for example..

5. UD is nigh pointless. Also since they nerfed it even further in GHB17 in terms of range.... and the whole point to my post was that I think they should change the rusted weapons ability to trigger on 6's to wound.. which would make fecund vigor an amazing stage on the cycle. 

6. This is true. Cant argue with this. I dont use sayl because I think the mechanic is lazy and stupid. Even in tournaments I refuse to use models with rules which are blatantly overpowered. 

7. While the cycle of corruption is unreliable.. atleast you can plan ahead because you know what will be coming up in the course of a game. I will move towards terrain when The burgeoning is up, be a little most risky/aggressive if I know corrupted regrowth is coming.. etc. UD is almost worthless. even to blightkings who seem to benefit the most. 

Archived