Hunting the Great, White Magmadroth.

Kamose

So I've expanded my Fyreslayers with a new Start Collecting box and I built the 'droth as a Runesmiter (Country Mac) to go with the Runerfather (Frank) on his Magmadroth (Popkins).  Since the Runesmiter's Magmadroth would presumably be of religious significance, I decided to really make her stand out.  I've decided I want to try an albino color scheme.  I've had some experience painting white on clothes before (for Freeguild) but never on a living creature.

Normally I prime grey and basecoat with Celestra Grey.  Then I use ever lighter layers of Ulthuan Grey and White Scar to build up white on the raised areas.  I'm wondering how this will look though since albino creatures tend to be pinkish.  Should I try a red wash at least for some areas (eyes, mouth) and highlight up to light pink?  My concern is that the red wash will be rather too dark and, well, red.  I've also not used a wash in the past when painting white.  Also are the dry brush whites worth a look?  I've never used them before.

If anyone has experience and advice I'd greatly appreciate it

Celestra > ulthuan > white scar will look grey / blue (as you no doubt know) which might look odd with some pink blended in.

You could create a more creamy white (I'd opt for a Ushabti > Screaming skull > white scar progression with maybe some brownish grey in the recesses). Experimentation is probably needed before doing a big model.

Now for reddening - I would be selective and glaze rather than wash.  The pink colour is from blood near the skin surface (the skin has no pigmentation with albinism). So when doing albino, pink tinged areas are those that are thin skinned.

An all over wash wouldn't necessarily look right given you want the scales to look hard and parts of the skin to look very tough.

I'm thinking the underbelly, face and maybe some inner joint creases. The scales you want to keep grey white

I'd be tempted to look at Pallid Wych Flesh as you main colour, this is a pretty pale white colour.  As @Turragor says, Celestra and Ultuan are both in the blue (cold) range.

Alternatively if you're not fixed on Citadel paints, Vallejo does have a pretty decent range of whites.  Their White Grey paint is what I used as the base colour for my pale flesh Bloodbound.  I then used really thinned washes to push the shadows and highlighted up through the base colour and adding Pallid Wych Flesh followed by White.  The key is lots of thin layers to try and build up depth into the flesh.

Carronberg Crimson is actually pretty dark, so you might be better looking at mixing your own wash using a brighter red, or finding an alternative red.

Slaughterpriests-WIP2.jpg.4257a052433605464305a92c40dfb5f8.jpg

Archived