Skaven List

TGCMactar

1 hour ago, TGCMactar said:

it is funny seeing my skaven warlord use a "daemonic weapon" , would be nice if there was a seperate part for skaven because having a warlord with a daemonic weapon doesnt sound right

It's all in the backstory and execution. What about a skaven warlord that simply found a daemonic sword next to a dead chaos lord, claiming to his clan he defeated the daemon within (of course killing all witnesses first). Model wise: a rat dragging a sword that is way to big with him. Oh dang, now I got myself inspired  

2 hours ago, Kramer said:

It's all in the backstory and execution. What about a skaven warlord that simply found a daemonic sword next to a dead chaos lord, claiming to his clan he defeated the daemon within (of course killing all witnesses first). Model wise: a rat dragging a sword that is way to big with him. Oh dang, now I got myself inspired  

Off to the conversion table with you! Hurry-rush!

I've been building a skaven army for a year based on the spire of dawn set and then added stormfiends and warp lightning cannon to it as well as some doubling up on warpfire throwers and rat ogors. Using the chaos abilities.

A model to consider adding is the grey seer. Lovely model and it has the vermintide spell. 26" range. With people being encouraged to bring larger units this spell becomes pretty nifty. Who doesn't want to roll 30 or 40 dice?! (6s do a mortal wound). Try rolling 40 dice and see how many sixes you get. Much fun!

one to avoid is the doomwheel unless you fancy its aesthetics. (Super cool, but it very rarely does anything)

Hope this helps.

3 hours ago, Lezlor said:

one to avoid is the doomwheel unless you fancy its aesthetics. (Super cool, but it very rarely does anything)

Can I add: 'rarel does anything.... offensively'? Because with the 8 wounds on a 4+ (3+ with mystic shield) and a big footprint it makes a speedy road block (same as all other chariots in AoS in my experience)

12 hours ago, Kramer said:

Can I add: 'rarel does anything.... offensively'? Because with the 8 wounds on a 4+ (3+ with mystic shield) and a big footprint it makes a speedy road block (same as all other chariots in AoS in my experience)

Kramer have you found the doomwheel worth while then? Because i seriously love that model but rarely use it. I think it was THE reason i started a skaven army back in 8th edition. 

If so, do share how you have used it to success! How do you use it defensively, and how does it serve as a "road block." What other units do you use to complement the defense? Defense is only good if you have an offense to capitalize on it, right?

6 hours ago, Flood said:

Kramer have you found the doomwheel worth while then? Because i seriously love that model but rarely use it. I think it was THE reason i started a skaven army back in 8th edition. 

If so, do share how you have used it to success! How do you use it defensively, and how does it serve as a "road block." What other units do you use to complement the defense? Defense is only good if you have an offense to capitalize on it, right?

True, here's the thing. I usually play with four mates, two of whom have never played before Age of Sigmar. I have 4 armies and building my fifth and Skaven is one of them but is usually played by one of those new players. I only recently added the doomwheel and only played against it so far. But here's how I found it (one of) the most annoying thing he fields. 

His list usually runs, screaming bell, block of rat ogres, block of stormvermin, warplightning canon as biggest threats. Of course, backed by units of clanrats, giant rats and weapon teams. We play with a fair amount of impassable terrain to create bottlenecks and force players to utilize the terrain.  I usually play Dark Elves (or order but I give myself that restriction) or a host of Slaanesh. Now here's what happens when it really annoys me playing an objective based scenario. 

My way to beat him is to avoid is 'heavy hitters' while I take apart his synergies. With both slaanesh en Dark Elves I use fast units to get behind his lines. Or a small squad of chosen/executioners to open a hole and try to leverage a double turn to get through. If this works I usually beat him in the second wave. But he now uses his doomwheel as a counter to my fast harassers. It starts behind enemy lines and just mirrors my moves. If I bring two 5 man squads he does engage one tying it up but usually he tries to just get at 2,9" inch of an impassable terrain feature to just extend my moves or occasionally block them. 
To hinder my elite hard hitters he just puts in smack dead in front of my unit forcing me to go around or through. Even if i charge and kill it and get the double turn I then hit his main lines and can't really get through it in two back to back turns. 

Now all this said, he only started doing this the last couple of games so i'm sure I will get around it. Either by bringing more firepower and just prioritise it more (but that leaves his heavy hitters un-shot at) or something else. Also the one time I played him with ogres and he brought it, it did nothing. 

Hope this helps.

On 9/21/2017 at 11:05 AM, Kugane said:

Off to the conversion table with you! Hurry-rush!

Okay, did a quick test build with some spare parts. Decided I; 1 need a bigger weapon to make it comical. 2 would need to cut the body in half to pose it more like he's dragging it.  3. Need a steeper 'hill' to make the position of the arm seem more like he's being dragged down  

Not yet ready to do so as I'm saving the parts for when an upcoming path to glory campaign to which I would love to keep my lord in sync with his upgrades. but still a very good possibility as we will be rolling for artefacts :D 

IMG_0785.JPG.4d7d8bcf79af73fdc84fb8eda484fe8b.JPG

IMG_0781.JPG.0fb58a8d5a39807499dd4342400d9748.JPG

IMG_0783.JPG.ec60a1fcc0f5d5668204faef7eaff8f6.JPG

I think that looks incredible! The effect you got of him dragging the sword is spot on! Looks very natural. 

Also thanks for your resonse on the wheel. Ill give it a shot sometime, although i still think its probably better off to simply take something else :(. I just wish they gave the wheel a bigger points drop. It doesnt really synergize with anything, so i dont know how to get it into a list and at the end say "ya, that definitely needs to be there." Id almost always chop it out to include something else i DO need to synergize the list. 

On 9/23/2017 at 12:10 PM, TGCMactar said:

hey nice skaven warlord! the sword is kinda ordinary though but still great! if i were to do a conversion i would have used the champions blade from the knights set!

Which one is that? The flaming one? It's slightly smaller I think. If I would do it I think I would go for the 'cleaver' style blade I think. looks the most massive. Or go even bigger and look through my Ogor bits :D But I agree it's not necessarily very 'daemonic' although the paintjob can make a huge difference .

Chaos Knights

On 9/23/2017 at 5:01 PM, Flood said:

I think that looks incredible! The effect you got of him dragging the sword is spot on! Looks very natural. 

Also thanks for your resonse on the wheel. Ill give it a shot sometime, although i still think its probably better off to simply take something else :(. I just wish they gave the wheel a bigger points drop. It doesnt really synergize with anything, so i dont know how to get it into a list and at the end say "ya, that definitely needs to be there." Id almost always chop it out to include something else i DO need to synergize the list. 

Thanks so much, we;ll see what I roll up. No it's never going to beat the synergie units. But give it a couple of goes before you totally trash it. 

11 minutes ago, TGCMactar said:

sorry if im dumb but can u still take a vermintide claw pack if u have chaos undivided skaven? thanks

Not a dumb question at all. Because the answer is not simple.

For matched play: No the claw pack has no points  so is not useable. 

For narrative/open: Sure! 

As to the question if you can take it a chaos undivided... Yes, I believe so. As long as a battalion does not require you to be a certain allegiance and you still fulfil every requirement for the battalion it's perfectly fine! (But still needs to have points in GHB2017 for matched play though)

On 22-9-2017 at 11:14 AM, Kramer said:

Okay, did a quick test build with some spare parts. Decided I; 1 need a bigger weapon to make it comical. 2 would need to cut the body in half to pose it more like he's dragging it.  3. Need a steeper 'hill' to make the position of the arm seem more like he's being dragged down  

Not yet ready to do so as I'm saving the parts for when an upcoming path to glory campaign to which I would love to keep my lord in sync with his upgrades. but still a very good possibility as we will be rolling for artefacts :D 

IMG_0785.JPG.4d7d8bcf79af73fdc84fb8eda484fe8b.JPG

IMG_0781.JPG.0fb58a8d5a39807499dd4342400d9748.JPG

IMG_0783.JPG.ec60a1fcc0f5d5668204faef7eaff8f6.JPG

I'm loving it haha. Especially with the back story. I might make my own soon.

17 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Go for it! :D And make sure you share it ;) 

I'm considering to create a warlord with 2 chained slaves dragging behind carrying a sword 3x their body size for him. Perhaps it is time to get that warlord on brood horror for that very purpose.

6 minutes ago, Kugane said:

I'm considering to create a warlord with 2 chained slaves dragging behind carrying a sword 3x their body size for him. Perhaps it is time to get that warlord on brood horror for that very purpose.

Hahaha that's brilliant! If I ever finish, and of course win, that PtG campaign that will be the warlords reward. Imagine him going through the campaign with a ridiculous big sword and for ever after just getting his weapon bearers as a reward. And as a constant reminder to my gaming partners who won ;) 

41 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Hahaha that's brilliant! If I ever finish, and of course win, that PtG campaign that will be the warlords reward. Imagine him going through the campaign with a ridiculous big sword and for ever after just getting his weapon bearers as a reward. And as a constant reminder to my gaming partners who won ;) 

Ahaha, thats really awesome. I wonder if I can get my hands on some chains somewhere, I found a few clanrats with chains for the conversion in my bit box. Another excuse to NOT  start painting my clanrats.

6 hours ago, Kugane said:

Ahaha, thats really awesome. I wonder if I can get my hands on some chains somewhere, I found a few clanrats with chains for the conversion in my bit box. Another excuse to NOT  start painting my clanrats.

Mostly diy and hobby sell small link chains (at least the few I frequent). Haha and we all need that excuse! 

Archived