What Should I Use to Clean Brushes?

I use Masters Paintbrush cleaner, it works wonders and will last forever. I treated myself to some Winsor Newton Series 7 a few years ago and they are still like new due to this. 

In my experience, the best thing is do regular water swaps during painting sessions. That way you don't 'clean' your brushes with water that has a lot of paint in it. And when you're done, clean your brushes with some brush soap (like DaVinci's) and lukewarm water. I bought some Series 7 a couple of years ago, and they are still in excellent condition.

During session maintenance is pretty important too - regularly rinse your brush out as you feel it getting "dry" or the paint has travelled too far up the bristles and refresh your water when it looks too murky.

Might sound simple but I find it really easy to get carried away on a painting job and miss one of the above.  Also never leave a brush in your water overnight - ever...

During session maintenance is pretty important too - regularly rinse your brush out as you feel it getting "dry" or the paint has travelled too far up the bristles and refresh your water when it looks too murky.

Might sound simple but I find it really easy to get carried away on a painting job and miss one of the above.  Also never leave a brush in your water overnight - ever...

That's an excellent point. Make sure the paint never touches the ferrule of your brush. That way you'll make the brush last much longer. Clogged paint on the ferrule will make the hairs split after a while.

1 hour ago, BasetheRuin said:

That's an excellent point. Make sure the paint never touches the ferrule of your brush. That way you'll make the brush last much longer. Clogged paint on the ferrule will make the hairs split after a while.

This is something I definitely need to start avoiding. I think I need an old brush for mixing on the palette to avoid clogging up my Series 7 ones.

Excellent tips everyone! Masters it is then. Thanks. 

17 hours ago, hobgoblinclub said:

This is something I definitely need to start avoiding. I think I need an old brush for mixing on the palette to avoid clogging up my Series 7 ones.

I've transferred many of my citadel paints into dropper bottles (you can put water/lahmia medium in one too) so it's pretty rare that I get an issue with paint getting into the bristle base.  Some paints are evil though - metallics will knacker your brushes quite quickly for example and the new Retributor Amour shoots into the ferrule like a ferret up a drainpipe!

20 hours ago, Naishy said:

On a related note, be careful with the masters brush cleaner around your significant other! My dear wife discovered it is excellent for cleaning her make up brushes and now we have to share....

Yes, my ex discovered this too :P  That said it will mean you can easily justify the replacement

• 2 weeks later...
On 6 June 2016 at 2:13 PM, hobgoblinclub said:

This is some thing I discovered the painful way, early in my painting journey I destroyed a Series 7 size 0 due to using it to take the paint from the lid and mix! What an idiot! I now have an old brush for this job.

Also I would like to give another vote for the masters brush cleaner.  Buy the biggest tub you can afford and enjoy!

Archived