Any downside to mounting a character?

Banglesprout

Hey guys. Is there any downside to giving a character a mount, if they have the option to take one?

In my case I'm specifically thinking of the Gitmob Shaman who has the option of riding a wolf - is there any reason why you wouldn't choose this option?

I'm asking purely from a game affect perspective, rather than aesthetics.

Don't really know how you can misinterpret true los. Sure for super-competitive games I'd much prefer a LoS determined by the bases of the miniatures (such as in Warmachine/Hordes by Privateer Press), but for AoS I'll just stoop down if there's any question about LoS and see if my miniature could see any part of their miniature.

Drop the grot shaman behind 40 orcs and no man-sized enemy without elevation can see him for sure. Drop the same shaman on a wolf and they will.

Sure, there's some interpretation of what consists as "part of the miniature". If they can see the tip of the staff I'd say 99% of the players will agree there's no LoS. That one guy in the hundred can get the LoS if they insist for all I care.

9 hours ago, tom_gore said:

Don't really know how you can misinterpret true los. Sure for super-competitive games I'd much prefer a LoS determined by the bases of the miniatures (such as in Warmachine/Hordes by Privateer Press), but for AoS I'll just stoop down if there's any question about LoS and see if my miniature could see any part of their miniature.

Drop the grot shaman behind 40 orcs and no man-sized enemy without elevation can see him for sure. Drop the same shaman on a wolf and they will.

Sure, there's some interpretation of what consists as "part of the miniature". If they can see the tip of the staff I'd say 99% of the players will agree there's no LoS. That one guy in the hundred can get the LoS if they insist for all I care.

Well, for me you can hide any goblin(not on a mount) behind an Orruk, and even a Big Boss behind 30 Arrow Boyz. But I played games when opponnent was sniping the Boss because he said it is visible thru 30 Boyz because they are not a wall...

Archived