Magnifiers

Praecautus

So after a period of denial I am coming by to the realisation that my 40+ year old eyes are not as good as they were when I was a teenager. I keep seeing little bits on enlarged photos of my minis where I have missed a bit or got paint where I don't want it.

I was wondering if any of you good people use some form of magnification device to aid you when painting, if so what would you recommend?

40+ here too. Just got back to the hobby after 7 years and also had to succumb to the fact that I cannot focus close enough anymore to do fine detail.

Got one of those magnifier lamps with a circular bulb around the lens, and it definitely is helpful, and not least because as mentioned your head is never between the light and the mini, and because the light comes from a wider area, the mini doesn't cast too many shadows on itself either!

I can heartily recommend one. I couldn't do without anymore and am wondering why didn't I get one back in the day already.

The only thing I find bothersome is that sometimes at a certain angle the wooden end of my brush hits the lamp/lens. I've circumvented this by shortening the detail brushes a bit (basically sawed off ~2 inches off the brush).

Not quite in the 40+ bracket yet (though it's creeping up) so know where you're coming from.  At one point I was using a magnifier visor for a lot of the things I was painting, but have slowly but surely wound back with it and tend to use it only when I'm painting faces.  The most important thing as has been said is a really good light.  Most LED lights are good enough, but you want it in a position that it illuminates everything you're painting.

If you speak to people on some of the painting dedicated forums such as CMoN, quite a few painters simply pick up a cheap pair of reading glasses - just go into a shop that sells them with a miniature you've missed bits on and try a few pairs on until you find a pair that work for you.  The benefit of glasses is that they're fixed - you move your head and they move with it!  If you go away for a holiday your glasses come with you too!

22 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

Not quite in the 40+ bracket yet (though it's creeping up) so know where you're coming from.  At one point I was using a magnifier visor for a lot of the things I was painting, but have slowly but surely wound back with it and tend to use it only when I'm painting faces.  The most important thing as has been said is a really good light.  Most LED lights are good enough, but you want it in a position that it illuminates everything you're painting.

If you speak to people on some of the painting dedicated forums such as CMoN, quite a few painters simply pick up a cheap pair of reading glasses - just go into a shop that sells them with a miniature you've missed bits on and try a few pairs on until you find a pair that work for you.  The benefit of glasses is that they're fixed - you move your head and they move with it!  If you go away for a holiday your glasses come with you too!

Ha ha maybe the best solution is the simplest, it won't hurt to get some cheap glasses and give them a go - Poundland sell glasses so that is less than the cost of a pint of beer ?

40 minutes ago, Praecautus said:

Ha ha maybe the best solution is the simplest, it won't hurt to get some cheap glasses and give them a go - Poundland sell glasses so that is less than the cost of a pint of beer ?

Didn't realise Poundland sold them!  One other benefit of glasses is that they won't get in the way of your brush.  Magnifier visors are a pain as the focal length means you have to hold the miniature and brush quite close to them :D

Archived