Blightwar - how are you gonna play it?

Greasygeek

Just got my Blightwar box and split it with a friend so naturally we will have to fight it out. But how?

We agreed to play the first battleplan using only the box contents and battalions. The second battle will add 200pt per army and same goes for the third and final battle. In addition we will award the winners of each battle with +100pt for the final battle. Added up the exiciting end to the blightwar experience should give each of us box content + 400-600 points.

However we had some trouble deciding alligiance abilities. Nurgle (me) will get the wheel and nothing else. Clear and simple, however what about my stormcast buddy? The Blightwar rules details the Scions of the Storm battletrait as presented in the SE battletome but none of his artifacts or such are mentioned. This has kinda led us to believe that when fighting the Blightwar only, SE will only use the Scions of... ability and nothing more. 

What do you people think?

How are you planning to play the Blightwar?

I think the idea is to play Blightwar specifically without Artefacts, Command Traits etc. :) By large because they are an additional set of rules that are there for 'experienced' players.

So what I would do is play without Artefacts for the starter box, not only because it's cooler but also because at those levels Heroes don't really need to be more powerful as they are. The Battle Traits are also really there to support the narrative design for the starter box.

None of the Nurgle/Stormcast artefacts or command traits are included because both the forces in the box only contain named heroes who can't take them. If you want to expand on the Stormcast in the box pick up their Battletome. If you want to get maximum use out of the Nurgle allegiance abilities for now, load up on Epidemius and Maggoth Lords. ;) 

I was gonna play matched play with the new formation and the 2.5 boxes worth of Vanguard I already have. (Seriously, that formation is the ONLY way to run Palladors or Hunters and have them be any good. It's not too shabby for the raptors either.)

• 3 weeks later...

So far we have played the first two battleplans and it has been great fun but I gotta say that Nurgle is having a hard time..

The first battleplan - the one where Nurgle has to avoid loosing 2+ units, was a minor victory for Nurgle but it was a close run despite tricking the SE player to believe that I would go at him hard on the left just to flee to the right. 

The second battleplan - the one where the SE will win if two or more units escape through the Nurgle table edge. Was a major victory for the SE player. Though we did have a few rounds of fun I cannot wrap my head around how I could have won that battle. Maybe it is just me but it seemed lost before it began. The reason for this is the palladors and Neave being able to make that once per battle 6D6 flying move. Though I managed to stop them and would have eventually destroyed at least the palladors there was nothing I could do to hold them from flying out of reach. Palladors have 5 wound each so wiping out three of them in my first round of attack is extremely unlikely and even if I did throw everything at them I would be open for vanguard hunters and Aether wings to sprint by. I understand that narrative games often create lots of imbalance and I do enjoy playing such games too. However this mission just seamed poorly planned. Or was it?

How did you guys do? Has any Nurgle player won this battleplan?

Archived