New Khorne Player

J.J

Hey all!

Just jumped into AoS with the release of the GHB 2017 and dived straight into Khorne. I currently have:

• Mighty Lord of Khorne
  • Bloodsecrator
  • Skullgrinder
  • Aspiring Deathbringer (/w axe and hammer)
  • Slaughterpriest x 2
  • Bloodstoker
  • Exalted Deathbringer x 2
  • 25 x Blood Warriors 
  • 20 x Bloodreavers
  • 3 x Mighty Skullcrushers

I'm a bit stuck for where to go next, or even putting a list together. A pile of 30 Bloodletters could be nice coupled with the Slaughterpriest's Killing Frenzy so I was eyeing them up next. Are there any good ranged options available? Being able to shoot out key targets would be nice. Warscroll battalions seem really pricey now as well, are there any good fits there for the collection I have?

Thanks!

Very solid start, I think you'll be really happy with the Bloodletters once you have them, likely so happy you'll want another 30. Khorne is typical in that it doesn't have any great ranged options. However with Slaughterpriests and Gore Pilgrims or Skullcannons you'll at least have some ranged options. The downside in having a ton of attacks for us comes in the form that we're generally not very well equiped in shooting out key targets. Warscroll Battalions most certainly are very pricey. With what you have you could make a nice Gore Pilgrims or Bloodforged start. The other nice and viable Battalions focus more on Bloodletters or Skullcrushers.

Cheers,

This is what I was currently thinking of building towards for 2k:

Allegiance: Khorne

Leaders
Mighty Lord Of Khorne (140)
- General
- Trait: Violent Urgency 
- Artefact: Gorecleaver 
Bloodsecrator (120)
Slaughterpriest with Hackblade and Wrathhammer (100)
- Artefact: Talisman of Burning Blood 
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
Bloodstoker (80)
Skullgrinder (80)

Battleline
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxes
- 1x Goreglaives
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
- 1x Goreglaives
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
- Meatripper Axes
3 x Mighty Skullcrushers (140)
- Bloodglaives
- Khorne Bloodbound Battleline (Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut General)
30 x Bloodletters (270)

Units
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Skull Cannons (160)

Battalions
Gore Pilgrims (180)

Total: 1990/2000

Takes into account the models I already have which would make this fairly cheap for me, I'd only have to buy the 30 Bloodletters and a Skull Cannon to make this work (forgot to mention I have a Khorgorath). I'm a bit uneducated when it comes to the artefacts, but these seemed like two good options to take for some scarier attacks and some more reliable charging!

Really like where this is going, would suggest running 3 Slaughterpriest for sure now however due to the relative high cost of Gore Pilgrims. Cool as the Skullgrinder looks he isn't as potent as an additional Slaughterpriest in this set up, especially because one also has to 'babysit' the Bloodsecrator to ensure you get all the advantages of the Battalion.

What you could do to find the additional points for this is to drop the Khorgorath and bump the Bloodreavers to 30. This way you also present 4 very potent units with a solid backbone. 

Cheers,

PS In terms of Artefacts I would go for Mark of the Destroyer on your MLoK. Also because of Gorelord I think you can actually skip on Violent Urgency and go for Desciple of Khorne. Because the Fleshhound is not a mount your then talking about one guy making 18+ attacks. However in general Mark of the Destroyer is great with the MLoK because my meta prediction remains that you'll see more Monsters hanging around which in turn makes 8 Axe of Khorne attacks more relevant as ever.

Thanks for the tips! I might see if I can convert something I have into a third slaughterpriest. I also had no idea that Mark of the Destroyer also applied to the dog. As I'm still sort of fresh to the rules - is it made clear what is a mount and what isn't? Would all of a Coven Throne's attacks be modified if they have a similar artefact?

GH 2017 gives us a description of what Mounts are, so far as I can read the Coven's Throne would be unlikely to not count as a mount.
As it is a likely war machine they can stand upon.

Some heroes have a mount, such as a battle steed, a powerful monster that they can ride, or a massive war machine that they can stand upon.

Keep in might though that TO's can rule otherwise. Likewise I think that Sigil of the Sanguine Throne would be a better weapon on the Coven's Throne anyway as many have adapted to measuring from the base instead of the model making that AoE truely massive. (Which is another reason as to why I expect more and more Monster play with GH2017)

How is the Bloodforged battalion looking in GHB2017? I came across it whilst browsing the book and the ignoring -1 rend seems fantastic, coupled with all models within 3" hitting themselves on a 6. Considering Wrathmongers and Blood Warriors are some of my favourite models it's mighty tempting!

Allegiance: Khorne

Leaders
Mighty Lord Of Khorne (140)
- General
- Trait: Disciple of Khorne 
- Artefact: Mark of the Destroyer 
Skullgrinder (80)
- Artefact: Talisman of Burning Blood 
Bloodsecrator (120)
Bloodstoker (80)
Slaughterpriest with Hackblade and Wrathhammer (100)

Battleline
- Goreaxes
- 1x Goreglaives
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
- 1x Goreglaives
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
- 1x Goreglaives
40 x Bloodreavers (240)
- Reaver Blades
3 x Mighty Skullcrushers (140)
- Ensorcelled Axes
- Khorne Bloodbound Battleline (Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut General)

Units
5 x Wrathmongers (180)
5 x Wrathmongers (180)

Battalions
Bloodforged (140)

Total: 2000/2000

On 05/09/2017 at 7:23 AM, J.J said:

How is the Bloodforged battalion looking in GHB2017? I came across it whilst browsing the book and the ignoring -1 rend seems fantastic, coupled with all models within 3" hitting themselves on a 6. Considering Wrathmongers and Blood Warriors are some of my favourite models it's mighty tempting!

Don't forget that it's only ignore -1 rend in combat.  Sadly it doesn't apply to ranged attacks :(

I have to say, I haven't coveted shooting much at all since I started running 3 Priests... I just can't stop Blood Boiling dudes. People say they're squishy, but I find I reach Blood Rain pretty quickly and just heal them up again.

Archived