Help with army building

SolarBur

This is a bit of a weird topic, i wasn't quite sure where to post it since it deals with the aspect of the hobby itself but at the same time is more of a personal issue. I imagine there are some out there in similar positions or some that might have gotten over this, but i thought i would ask, see what came up. 

To put it simply, I have a problem when it comes to this hobby. I have anxiety issues, ranging from just being put off of building or trying to paint something, to full on shaking and feeling sick. Its up to the point now where i want to try to enjoy the hobby, but i have to keep forcing myself into it to try and make any progress. Whether its painting or building i just get anxious and struggle to the point where i stop and just look for another army to try and build and play. Most recently this happened a few days ago. 

There are armies that i love the fluff and story for, but seem daunting to me. Right now i'm sitting on about 1200pts of built bonesplitterz, and a lot of clan pestilens. About... 1500pts of unbuilt and partially built for the ratmen. These armies i just enjoy the fluff for, bonesplitterz i build on and off for since about, February, and the clan pestilens stuff i've had since christmas last year. 

I know this might be a bit outside of the usual questions on here. But up to this point now I'm just needing help, I love the fantasy game and the races i have, with all their crazy antics and stories. But i'm afraid that i'm just going to end up stopping and quitting altogether because i'm just afraid to make any army progress, let alone get anything painted. 

If this topic is in the wrong place, i apoligise. If anyone can help with some way to help me press on so i can get things done i would be really grateful. 

12 minutes ago, TheJagerBear said:

Do you play at all or just at the stage of building and painting?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Well i have played with what i have built. 

But I have caved in at the building and painting stages many times before

So I can't talk to the anxiety part as I can't say I have experienced it myself but something that is somewhat similar is in terms of buying, starting and then leaving an army unfinished. Now this in itself, I imagine, is not that uncommon - especially if you find yourself to be an "impulse buyer" - which I admit, I would term myself as such.

While I can't say my issue is related to anxiety, it is similar because like you I find myself falling for the fluff of different armies and I buy in to the idea of the army before I fully commit to needing a new army. The reason I asked if you play is because for the longest time I didn't and as mentioned kept half starting armies on the idea of using them than actually doing so. I've recently turned that around and started playing at my local stores and now find myself much more engaged and focused in what I want to buy, build and play with.

So while it's not really an answer to your question, I thought I would post some commonalities surround what might be the cause of the problems. I know my hobby isn't being fulfilled as much as it could be because of my approach to it and my actual interactions with it. Again, I didn't spend much time actually chatting to people in store or playing or even being that honest about having the hobby to others. In some cases this caused me to put it off and in the past or drop it all together.

Now I don't know anything about your age, work situation or personal life so I can't make any assumptions about the causes, as I said above, but if any of what I've said sounds similar to you I'm happy to go into more details as to why I think it's an issue for me as I like to think I'm good at self-diagnosing my own issues so maybe it will be of help!

14 minutes ago, TheJagerBear said:

So I can't talk to the anxiety part as I can't say I have experienced it myself but something that is somewhat similar is in terms of buying, starting and then leaving an army unfinished. Now this in itself, I imagine, is not that uncommon - especially if you find yourself to be an "impulse buyer" - which I admit, I would term myself as such.

While I can't say my issue is related to anxiety, it is similar because like you I find myself falling for the fluff of different armies and I buy in to the idea of the army before I fully commit to needing a new army. The reason I asked if you play is because for the longest time I didn't and as mentioned kept half starting armies on the idea of using them than actually doing so. I've recently turned that around and started playing at my local stores and now find myself much more engaged and focused in what I want to buy, build and play with.

So while it's not really an answer to your question, I thought I would post some commonalities surround what might be the cause of the problems. I know my hobby isn't being fulfilled as much as it could be because of my approach to it and my actual interactions with it. Again, I didn't spend much time actually chatting to people in store or playing or even being that honest about having the hobby to others. In some cases this caused me to put it off and in the past or drop it all together.

Now I don't know anything about your age, work situation or personal life so I can't make any assumptions about the causes, as I said above, but if any of what I've said sounds similar to you I'm happy to go into more details as to why I think it's an issue for me as I like to think I'm good at self-diagnosing my own issues so maybe it will be of help!

I used to be a pretty heavy impulse buyer when i was younger (currently 29), used to take whatever cash i could get together or trade in other armies and models and just buy new stuff. Never the newest or shiniest toy around, but just things that i thought looked cool. And even back then i never really got to the painting part, but i was always building up and cleaning the models quickly so i could get them to the board and play some games with them. Though nowadays i'm very hesitant to buy things cause i just wonder if they will get built. 

I was recently in a campaign that encouraged people to build up and paint armies, adding something new on a weekly basis so their forces would slowly increase. Though i was given permission to use what i had built, and to build up anything that i needed to add. I think for the campaign i built up maybes a new unit and added a few troops to another unit, but by the end of the campaign i just grabbed anything i had built to put in there. 

Thanks for replying, i have some ideas now. Using the gaming aspect to try and get me to get things built at the very least. I think another problem i have is, well honestly just seeing all the great pieces everyone does here. I know that as a beginner i have to start at the bottom and work my way up. But seeing all of these paint jobs, creative kitbashes, and all the armies people are getting done. It feels like I have a lot to live up to with my armies, and that i can't do them justice. 

1 minute ago, SolarBur said:

Thanks for replying, i have some ideas now. Using the gaming aspect to try and get me to get things built at the very least. I think another problem i have is, well honestly just seeing all the great pieces everyone does here. I know that as a beginner i have to start at the bottom and work my way up. But seeing all of these paint jobs, creative kitbashes, and all the armies people are getting done. It feels like I have a lot to live up to with my armies, and that i can't do them justice. 

I definitely know what you're talking about here as I have felt the same thing. I think one of the hardest concepts to wrap your head around as a beginner to this hobby isn't the skills or techniques but actually knowing and accepting your current level and ability. I always think "oh I'll get this army, smash it out and get it to the table looking great" but in reality, and I'd like to think others might agree with me, is that it does take time to produce a great looking and fully done army. And actually seeing projects through is all practice and will inevitably improve your skill and ability. 

While I can't say I've completely curbed my impulse buying something that I found really helpful was getting myself organised. That applies to tools, bits, boxes, armies and paints. I took the time to go through everything I had whether it be built, boxed or half baked and built working lists around it (used the app which is great). That determined what I physically did with it - either stored away out of sight, in trays as a manageable project or finished off and stuck in foam ready to be used.

Having a clear idea of what I wanted to work on was a lot better than feeling overwhelmed with piles of models around that might or might not make it to the table! I certainly have felt overwhelmed with what I've purchased and then stressed about how much I've spent and then gotten angry at how little I've finished. It can be a downward spiral but that's what I came to terms with. This is now my number one hobby choice, I spend within my limits as long as I keep myself organised. 

Now, I just need to go home from work and actually get to work on the new Fyreslayer army I purchased at the weekend lol! :)

Hopefully this has been of some help. Happy to answer any questions you might have!

@TheJagerbear gave you some relaly good advices. I've been into the hobby for 20 years now, 2/3 of my life, I've been to Golden Daemons, tournaments and so on, but even now after all that time, I have issues focusing on a single target.

However DO NOT compaire your works with those of other people. Be honest ot yourself, try to get the best result you can (or whatever you feel satisfies you at the moment) and use other peope works just for inspiration, not for quality comparaison, otherwise it's the end.

trust me the first times I met the "great painters" from the Golden Daemons my first instict was to stop the hobby. The first sculpts with green stuff I saw made my jaw drop, and I trully fel "empty" and completely unwilling to go on, but what you should think of is that in our hobby it's not the result that matters, will it does in a way, or if you go to a paiting competition but that's the minority of people. What really matters according to me is that process you know, the time you spend paiting, kit bashing, scultping or just thinking about your army.

This is not a race, it's a way of spending time sometimes alone (hobby) sometimes in company of others (game), so you should focus on enjoying what you do in the moment when you do it, more than getting frustreted on the final paiting results, or on how your army looks compared to someone else's who's been into the hobby like 50 years!

@tupavko Thanks! And you're absolutely right, work by others should be inspirational and not the goal. My local store manager gave me advice that really helped me, similar to what you said, and that's to paint to a standard you are happy with. That could mean the 3 colour minimum or extra basing, highlighting and conversion.

It really is finding the sweet spot that you enjoy. 

On another note, I'm 31 myself and it's nice to see other hobbyists close to my age! 

So to the both of you, how do you think i should start out ? I have a lot of models, so i'm not really spoiled for choice. Though i think since they have laid around for so long i owe it to the plague monks to start with them. 

In terms of goals, i would like to start out with 750pts. A doubles in a couple of weeks, and a triumph and treachery at the end of the month are taking place at my local GW. I think that these might be good goals to start with in terms of just getting built and painted. It also means that i don't need to buy anything excepts tools. Think i have 2 start collecting sets and 10 censer bearers around.

My pace is pretty much setting the bar on the floor, so maybes start with lifting it ? ^^;;; 

Great advice above. Not much to add, but to make sure you know you are not alone in this (although I must admit. it's nothing so extreme for me)

It's good to bring it up. Speed isn't everything, your pace is the perfect pace. 18 years after I thought of my current army, I finally started. Costs, wanting to do it perfect, skills were all part of the reason I postponed it. Now I started, can't be happier because I managed to lower my own expectations and just want to have fun. 9 months after I started I finished: a lord, 10 warriors, 10 daemonettes. Nothing more but it still makes me happy. 

1 hour ago, SolarBur said:

There are armies that i love the fluff and story for, but seem daunting to me. Right now i'm sitting on about 1200pts of built bonesplitterz, and a lot of clan pestilens. About... 1500pts of unbuilt and partially built for the ratmen. These armies i just enjoy the fluff for, bonesplitterz i build on and off for since about, February, and the clan pestilens stuff i've had since christmas last year. 

And now a practical tip! For the Skaven, and bonesplitterz, you could look into colored primer. I only paint three layers (base, ink, highlights) nowadays because otherwise I drive myself crazy. With some exeptions for single models. If would paint clan pestilens, or bonesplitters for that matter, I would spray paint them green. Then use a dark natural colored ink (Agrax Earthshade), highlight the green robes. Then go in for the skin, fur and details :D Should save a lot of time. 

Maybe look into the army painter range if GW doesn't have the color you are looking for. 

5 minutes ago, TheJagerBear said:

On another note, I'm 31 myself and it's nice to see other hobbyists close to my age! 

Yeah, that's a good thing about this forum. The store here is almost all up to 19 years old. 30 here as well. 

I think you should abbandon the idea of "goals" at the moment, they will appear to you when the time comes.

I think at the moment you should look at those things you really like, it can be even 2 armies maybe one 40k one AoS or both AoS. Then just paint what you like, and enjoy doing it. When you get bored, unconfortable or whatever, switch tot he other thing.

Narrow down the options but do not torture yourself with "goals"! I think that in your case it's a matter of appreciating the various stages and moments that chacarterize this hobby...

I hope this doesn't come across as glib, because I understand that it's potentially an expensive solution (either literally in money, or simply in time investment) but I would suggest getting some kind of therapy - it sounds like you have literal panic attacks.

I say this as someone who has a lot of anxiety issues which I've wrestled with for most of my life and now in my 30's getting therapy has meant I've made a lot of progress.

I don't experience anxiety directly relating to this hobby, at least not exactly as you describe, but I certainly understand what you are saying.

The thing that helps explain why I think therapy might be good (and this is something I've learned through my own therapy) is that the anxiety you experience is due to some underlying core issue or belief that triggers in this particular scenario, often a learned behavioural trigger from early childhood.

The problem is, by adapting your behaviour around the scenario to avoid it being triggered, the core issue will simply find another way to bubble to the surface. In my case I went through several periods of anxiety and OCD in my childhood without really knowing what it was at the time, I developed coping mechanisms, but then later in life something else would crop up with a vengeance (depression, social anxiety etc.)

As someone who is now getting on a bit and is well past the point of wishing I'd dealt with this years ago, I can say it's better to tackle it sooner rather than let it hinder your life periodically for the foreseeable, and potentially flare up in unforeseen ways later on. A key thing I was told to remember is that a problem in your head like this is only a problem once it starts impacting on your quality of life and changing how you live it or what you do - and it sounds like that is already the case. I've spent a long time running from these things, and it is time wasted hiding rather than getting past it and starting to live more truly to yourself.

I appreciate that is all rather heavy, especially for a painting forum, but thought it better to actually address your problem as presented regardless.

12 minutes ago, SolarBur said:

In terms of goals, i would like to start out with 750pts.

For what it's worth, I could never force myself to actually paint models until a Facebook group was started locally (northeastern Ohio in the US). The guy who started it went to Adepticon last year and spread the word there, so we now have members from a variety of places. https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rend4/

I got started really painting my armies because we started having "seasons" (that last about 6 months) and points are award to you for painting models (and/or playing games). So now I have a real incentive to paint -- especially since one of our local shops is officially providing prize support for whoever paints the most. There will also be judging at a later date for "best painted," but I have no illusions of winning that.

Ok, first off. Thanks for all the advice. It means a lot. I don't really have much in the way of friends i can talk to about GW things, and my closest GW has a staff member thats a little less than enthusiatic to help. I usually get a shrug of the shoulders and i dunno. So having someone answering my questions and trying to help out with my problems is greatly appreciated. 

Right now I'm just making a list of some things i will need. I'm not sure on colors just yet, but I'm just putting down spray because i will need it at some point. 

Like i said, i'm going to start with 750pts. Its a lot of plague monks.. but i think i can manage it, plus i don't need to buy anything clan pestilens wise cause i have pretty much all of it. My plan right now is:

Plague Priest

50 Monks

10 Censer Bearers 

Plague Claw Catapult

As for things i will need:

Brushes (guess small and detail ?)

Spray. I have some chaos black and white, but will probably pick up some colored spray when i think of what color i want to do the clan. though there are some examples in the book i can look at. 

Paints. Same as the spray

Drill and bits. This is most in case i want to do a little converting for the hero. I think i can manage pinning ^^;;;

Oh, and hobby knife and blades. 

I think that's everything. I am pretty sure i got some glue. I can also pick up some supplies on friday to make a start. Am I missing anything ? Sometimes i tend to miss out obvious things ^^;;;

Stop thinking about armies.

Just stop. Completely.

Okay, now go buy the Skirmish book.

Now pick one of your unfinished armies.

Now build a Skirmish warband, I recommend 50 points consisting ONLY of models that are not done.

Build and paint them- and ONLY them.  Pit all the other models away.  Out of sight, out of mind.

When you finish that project,  go play with it.  Them write anther warband.  Same rules as above. 

Rinse and repeat until your armies are done. 

However DO NOT compaire your works with those of other people. 

I forget where I heard it, but I once heard the following that can apply here as it can apply to so many aspects of life:

"The only time you should look into your neighbor's bowl is to make sure he has enough to eat."

I think it's a great saying to live by.  Never look to be better than anyone else or have more or whatever.  You do you, and make sure you help anyone along the way who has less.

@Criti Ok, i could give that a try. I do have the skirmish book, though i would have to cheat a little to get to 50pts since clan pestilens can only get up to 36 points. So maybes count the censer bearers at 3 pts per model or something. When building things up i really just tend to stick to one faction no matter what army i pick, plus i think it would be good for me not to have to pick up anything other than what i have. 

I dont know if its quite the same as what your describing, but I often get put off or overwelmed by a project. Be it a matter of putting too much on front of me "Oh I'll paint this whole necron batallion" to "I'll make this cool zombie dragon. and magnatize it! And make it my best paint job ever!!". The thing is, when I do this I end up getting no where, I wont start, the project is too big and scary.

I think its been said here but painting should just be at -your- level. My level is, kinda tabletop quality at best, and every now and again I get it in me that I'll paint a master piece. and it doesnt happen. But by just painting out what is good for me, my painting has gotten better over the years and I'm happy having results that sit nicely on a shelf and get to game with.

Finally I guess, this is a hobby, so try enjoy it! Even if its just in reading fluff or only building the models, find what you like and go for it :)

Archived