Buy Warhammer Quest Silver Tower or wait for Shadespire?

Chillpill

Shadespire and Silver Tower are fundamentally two very different games, which is something to keep in mind.

Shadespire will be a relatively quick and intensive 1v1 competitive game.

Silver Tower is a semi-narrative "dungeon crawl" where the players cooperate.

Silver Tower might be better for beginners to the hobby?

Silver tower has loads of minis to paint. (I'm still painting mine.) If you're okay with assembling and playing without painting then ST is good.

Gorechosen is also a quick/fun competitive board game for up to 4 players. (Don't need to paint the models if you don't want to.)

(Both games do look really nice on the Shattered Dominion bases without needing to be painted btw.)

They are very different, it depends on what you think your family would appreciate more.

Shadespire will likely be something more in tune with the card-game crowd, 1v1 and competitive between each player. I don't see your wife getting into this sort of thing (unless she already is a Magic player or something), but your kid might like it.

Silver Tower is cooperative and allows for more players, you can invite your son's friends and so on. Everyone is on the same page, so it might be easier to involve a spouse. The same is true for Shadows Over Hammerhal, which is more RPG, although one person has to be a Dungeon Master (likely yourself). The rules are not very complicated but might take a bit to digest if your kid is smaller than 8 or so.

ST and SOH both pack a lot of miniatures, so if you have a strict "no-unpainted" ethos, it will take a while before you can actually play. I think their overall scale is on a different level from what Shadespire will likely be, and this also involves having more fluff and being more immersive.

Thanks! I think I might go for Silver Tower for now!

If the lady (ladies?) in your household have a preference for playing female characters in their Boardgame/Roleplay (more roll-play than role-play in ST) There are three female hero models in the game:

- Mistweaver (comes in the main ST box)

- The Sorceress (available in the arcane heroes expansion or purchasable separately and the rules are in the App)

- The Branchwytch (available separately, and rules only in the App)

It is one lady and one 7 year old boy [emoji14]

Silver tower comes with 6 heroes.

The Mistweaver is a solid hero. And there are 5 other options that come in the basic set.

The Orruk Wierdnob Shaman, Orruk Warchanter and the Savage Orruk Warboss also have hero rules available for them. (And everyone can play together ... the Silver Tower brings heroes from all of the factions into the same party.)

And it works well, even with only 3 players.

Archived