Ruler of the night clarification.

Dracothjay

Is this trait only with X" of your general or ALL heros also?

Ruler of the Night modifies Deathless Minions.

Deathless Minions triggers for both the General and other Heroes. That benefit is good as long as the General is "isn't dead" ... pun only slightly intended. [emoji6]

And it currently doesn't appear to be FAQ'd...

It also doesn't specifically clarify that this only is happening in range of the general (unlike the other command traits).

You only have 2 weeks until everything changes or is clarified again [emoji4]

A: They apply to the general and units that are within the range of the battle trait, measured from the general. So, in your example, the bonus for Ruler of the Night would apply to the general, and friendly units within 10" of the general. 

A: They apply to the general and units that are within the range of the battle trait, measured from the general. So, in your example, the bonus for Ruler of the Night would apply to the general, and friendly units within 10" of the general. 

The wording says:

"1 Ruler of the Night: Add 1 to the dice roll to see if wounds are negated by the Deathless Minions battle trait."

There is no reference to "if they are in range of your general" or "for units within range of your general".

Given that the "in range of your general" isn't clarified in the Command Trait. (And all of the other command traits for death specifically address "range from General" and clarify that point explicitly [see command trait 6 for death for an example]).

And the command trait is specifically modifying the base rule, without specifying any other constraints, was there an official/unofficial FAQ that answered the question that you're pulling your source from? (I wasn't seeing one on the GW errata page.)

As an example, Order has the Command Trait:Inspiring. It specifically calls out "within 24" of your General instead of 12"

The trait for Great Destroyer for Chaos and Ravager for Destruction also don't call out the general. (They're modifying the army battle trait as well.)

14 minutes ago, ChippyRick said:

it came up in the FAQ that is was only added to the General. This was pointed out to me not long after the change and something i wasnt aware of until it was pointed out.

This is correct.  Ruler itself is only within 10" of the general.  Deathless still is affected as normal for within 10" of any Hero.

it came up in the FAQ that is was only added to the General. This was pointed out to me not long after the change and something i wasnt aware of until it was pointed out.

"But you don't have to take my word for it ..." Reading FTW!

And there it is: GHB 2016 FAQ v1.1 p.2 Allegiance Abilities. (It even answered the specific question! That's pretty handy!)

"Q: Several of the command traits on the allegiance tables modify the effect of a battle trait – for example, Ruler of the Night adds 1 to the dice roll for the Deathless Minions battle trait. Which models do these modifications apply to?

A: They apply to the general and units that are within the range of the battle trait, measured from the general. So, in your example, the bonus for Ruler of the Night would apply to the general, and friendly units within 10" of the general."

3 hours ago, Bademeister said:

Why we should lose RotN? If you don't pick a specific allegiance you still can pick RotN or Red Fury.

I don't think they will change it. It would otherwise totaly change everything for Deathplayers.

And that would be why it should change. The fact that if your general is on foot you always take RotN and if your general is a monster you can make an argument for red fury but the other 4 are dead weight shows that we need a shake up. Personally i think our allegiance ability should change as well. Its a crutch, masking deaths problems.

8 hours ago, Bademeister said:

Why we should lose RotN? If you don't pick a specific allegiance you still can pick RotN or Red Fury.

I don't think they will change it. It would otherwise totaly change everything for Deathplayers.

Because RotN is SO good that it's doubtful anything else they add will make it worth taking over that.  That's the current question:  Deathless + Ruler is so great for Death, it's likely that no matter what they give to FEC or Soulblight or Nighthaunt, it won't be worth losing Deathless and Ruler.

Archived