Grand tournament finals - what are you taking ???

So I recently attended heat 3 at whw with 2 frostlords on stonehorns and the kunnin rukk and qualified for the final (only just), but I realised after that I was really bored of the list I was running and wanted something different for the final ( and blood and glory later but the year). So I sat down over a few evenings and wrote some strange lists factoring in what I'm likely to face, what I like the look off and something that you don't see that often I.e. Not tzeentch cos that's everywhere. Needless to say that a few armies stood out but blades of khorne and kharadron overlords stood out the most, both are solid factions but both play very different; the list I wrote for khorne contains a lot of bloodletters as part of the murderhost backed up by the gore pilgrims which having played 2 games with I feel works very well, however the list does contain a lot of models not only to build and paint but time consuming to use play while the overlords is a lot less models focuses more on shooting and the games should go quicker. c6cd10181ebbdcbaf9a52fdcfa0c1650.png2ee3a3b1c554d3ea524ba31034df0796.png So the big question is which do I go for and will the gbh2 affect the lists that I've taken, simply put I won't know until I have it in my hand so I'm not going to think about it, so I thought which would I prefer to build and paint and the answer; I like both equally. But then I thought what are we most likely to see at heat 3 and my money is on overlords. So while I make my mind up what is everyone else planning on taking to the final I would love to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

You can only benefit from the totem once. The second is superfluous. 

Redundancy is key to successful lists. You can benefit from the totem zero times if it gets killed first turn before you act. A backup is nice.

I took the kunnin rukk to heat 3 and the big boss died to shooting turn 1 in every game except 1 and tbh I expect the same will happen to the bloods creator too which is why I've included 2 in the list, plus he does 2 things with his portal of skulls which a lot of ppl forget about 

13 minutes ago, bottle said:

How come people say the Bloodsecrator no longer stacks? The Warscroll seems the same to me in every source I check and the wording doesn't seem to prevent stacking.

Can anyone fill me in?

People don't want it to stack so they misinterpret the wording to suit their goals.

Mental gymnastics.

671807b70db463b38a74468aa990aa32.jpg I've always thought it stacked could be in the FAQ, but rules as written I would argue it stacks

Of course the counter argument could be can a unit be affected by the rage of khorne rule more than once; you could also ask can a unit be buffed by a kharadron overlords chemist more than once

Ah, I see the change in wording now. Thanks for your help! Looks like it doesn't stack because a unit is either affected or not by Rage of Khorne, its a binary relationship. The previous wording didn't make this distinction. 

Well I've seen both these lists before and dodgy roller is my mate. 

I love the khorne list as I think it will destroy most tzeentch lists out there through sheer wait of numbers and it would look awesome on the tabletop.

The KO list looks good too, I just think that double stacking will cease come GHB2 which will limit the above disagreements as well as kemists double stacking.

Ive qualified too after going all three heats and had a great time. I took three different factions stormcast, slyvaneth and mixed chaos.

I have no idea what to take, I may go with stormcast and the aether strike but with the GHB2 dropping before the heat I may go back to my favourite army Serphon if their is a decent points drop and cool Allegiance abilities.

I hope so one takes it out with a crazy list that no one else has used!

Both lists utilise the same strategy but in different ways i.e spam the thing that is good. In the case of the Khorne list its take 90 bloodletters and back them up with gore pilgrims formation. The 2nd list is triple stacking khemists onto the same unit to overpower 1 unit and then murder your opponent. Both lists will be strong and will probably do well at the finals. Neither list will have fun fighting 90 plaguebearers with -3 to hit with shooting (cunning deceiver) and -2 to hit in combat (again cunning deceiver). I predict we will see a ton of spam combat lists and shooting lists.

So 90-120 plaguebearers in the tally formation with the rest of the points on skyfires will be something you wont have any fun against :P

I believe something like this would currently  do very well in the GT final. Units that rely on +to hit modifiers are negated by plaguebearer blocks, so skyfires, bloodletters etc, especially with the 5++ save as well. Armies like KO that don't have very good shooting can barely hit them anyway as 4's become 7's on the first turn meaning they can't even hit you without damned terrain. Then you also have your own gun platform to deal with long range threats.

Allegiance: Chaos

Heroes
Great Unclean One (240) - General - Trait: Cunning Deceiver - Artefact: Chaos Talisman
Tzaangor Shaman (120) - Artefact: Chaos Talisman
The Changeling (140)

Units
30 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (300)
30 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (300)
10 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (100)
10 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (100)
1 x Beasts Of Nurgle (60)

1 x Beasts Of Nurgle (60)
9 x Tzaangor Skyfires (480)

Battalions
Tallyband of Nurgle (100)

Total: 2000/2000

That's a very interesting list I think anything that can ruin your opponents shooting phase will definitely do well if you get the right match ups but as you said that list plays well against anyone relying on bonuses to hit. I'm expecting to see a lot of tzeentch, stormcast and mixed destruction at the event, and big blocks of plague bearers would do well in most matchups especially if you can go first; things like thundertusks that don't roll to hit could course issues against non experienced but that's what the sky fires are there to do. Also I wonder how many sayl the faithless' we will see as his spell is still really good.

Archived