Allocating wounds to units with models that have more than 1 wound

Azlak the Damned

Question

I've had a quick scan through the forum but cannot see an answer to my question but I apologise if it has been asked already.

Blood Warriors have 2 wounds each. If my opponent causes 1 wound then I put a dice next to that unit to indicate a model in that unit has 1 wound left. I do not state specifically which model. Then if my opponent causes another wound I I would then decide which Blood Warrior to remove.

My opponent took the view that you must state which specific model has 1 wound left and you must remove that model before any others.

The rules state:

After all of the attacks made by a unit have been carried out, the player commanding the target unit allocates any wounds that are inflicted to models from the unit as they see fit (the models do not have to be within range or visible to an attacking unit). When

inflicting damage, if you allocate a wound to a model, you must keep on allocating wounds to that model until either it is slain, or no more wounds remain to be allocated.

I can see where my opponent was coming from with this description above but I am sure I have read somewhere that you allocate wounds as above but you decide which model is removed. I have played AOS for about a year and this is the first opponent I have come across with this view.

Help on clearing this up or what everyone does at their club is appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

9 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Ralphy99 said:

You choose which model to remove by allocating the wounds onto a model.  Your opponent is correct.  

But once a model has a wound allocated to it future wounds to that unit must be allocated to that model first, until it is slain, right?  I.e. Can't have a unit of 2 wound models all running round on one wound.

7 minutes ago, stato said:

But once a model has a wound allocated to it future wounds to that unit must be allocated to that model first, until it is slain, right?  I.e. Can't have a unit of 2 wound models all running round on one wound.

Correct - so think ahead when you decide which model to allocate it to. For example you may have to decide between allocating to a model in combat (so when its slain you will have less attacks in combat) or your standard bearer at the back (so when he is slain you lose the benefits of the standard). You need to think ahead and decide which is more important to you.

In my opinion the only time you can "keep wound in a pool" is when you opponents attacking unit have multiplies different attacks and some or all of them are tageting one of your units.

technically all attacks are going down in the same moment. so after all attacks of 1 unit are rolled then you have to allocate your wounds.

I understand this. What I'm trying to say is that a unit of 10 Blood Warrior gets attacked and 3 wounds are caused, if I don't save any then 1 model is slain and 1 is wounded. I place a marker next to the unit to indicate that 1 model has 1 wound left.

Here is my point, when I place this marker do I say a specific model in the unit had 1 wound left e.g. the leftmost model has 1 wound left.

I have played that I don't choose a specific model and then when I get another 1 wound, I remove any model I choose.

I never play where I share all 2 wound models having 1 wound.

In summary, i look at it as wounds allocated to a unit aren't directed at specific models, but the unit as a whole. Then it is up to the player which models are removed for every 2 wounds the unit takes.

Just now, Azlak the Damned said:

In summary, i look at it as wounds allocated to a unit aren't directed at specific models, but the unit as a whole. Then it is up to the player which models are removed for every 2 wounds the unit takes.

I think consensus is you are doing it incorrectly. A wound must be allocated to a model, from that point any further wounds must then go on that model until it is slain, then further woulds go onto the next model etc.   Basically when you get that first wound you allocate it immediately, rather than allocate it once you have enough to kill a model.

1 hour ago, Azlak the Damned said:

I understand this. What I'm trying to say is that a unit of 10 Blood Warrior gets attacked and 3 wounds are caused, if I don't save any then 1 model is slain and 1 is wounded. I place a marker next to the unit to indicate that 1 model has 1 wound left.

Here is my point, when I place this marker do I say a specific model in the unit had 1 wound left e.g. the leftmost model has 1 wound left.

I have played that I don't choose a specific model and then when I get another 1 wound, I remove any model I choose.

Wounds are always allocated to models, you can't allocate the wound to the unit and then decide (when it reaches a threshold that will kill a model) which one to remove. In your example, 3 wounds are taken by the blood warriors, you allocate two wounds to one model, which removes it, and then have to allocate the remaining wound to a new model.

I am not sure where you get your "I look at it as wounds allocated to a unit aren't directed at specific models" from, that is not at all what the rules say! The rules say

After all of the attacks made by a unit have been carried out, the player commanding the target unit allocates any wounds that are inflicted to models from the unit as they see fit

So after all attacks have been made, the wounds MUST be allocated to MODELS, not to the unit.

You are playing it wrong, your opponent is correct. You opened this question to find whether you or your opponent were correct, and the answer is your opponent. 

9 hours ago, Azlak the Damned said:

In your example you would need to specify which is taking the third wound.  This becomes especially important when it comes down to models with special items that enhance a unit in some way.

Archived