boss

warchanter

Nob

x10 brutes

x10 brutes

x10 brutes

or can cut 5 brutes and add vortex

Ironfist formation

What items should I take? This is what I personally have in boxes and have yet to put together. Would this be very competitive? Just from a stat and wound standpoint, seems strong on paper.

The short answer is no that's no where near competitive jawz.

you can only really run one big unit of brutes as you can only inspire one unit. They suffer terrible from battle shock. 

13 hours ago, SlowPlay85 said:

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

6 hours ago, SlowPlay85 said:

Anyone? 

Patience brother! Only 8 hours between your 3 posts ;) 

Unfortunately as @Tom correctly states that is not a very strong list. Battleshock is utterly crippling to Brutes; losing 3 wound elite 36pt models due to their low Bravery 6 is not fun! If you run a unit of 10+, more often than not (ie, all the time!) you will want Inspiring Presence on them. In your list your opponents will be able to target the unprotected units freely.

I did actually use 2x 10 and 2x5 in a tournament and even then it was a massive problem. I tried to mitigate this with the Black Orc Big Boss as the General, but he was too squishy and his Command Ability has too small a range to be effective tbh.

My list, which I have run for most of this year, including the UK Masters, is;

Megaboss - Brew
Cabbage - Talisman
Shaman
Warchanter
15 Brutes - General, Bellowing Tyrant/Ravager
5 Brutes
3 Gore-gruntas
10 Ardboys
Ironfist

For your list, I'd probably drop 10 of the Brutes and split one of the other units of 10 into 2x5. Then use the spare point for 2x10 Ardboys (or Gore-gruntas if you like). Having all the units at 180 is nice for easy list construction haha!!

Like @Solaris said, the competitive Ironjawz thread has a plethora of solid advice and ideas. Well worth a good perusal for any budding Megaboss!

Chris

23 minutes ago, SlowPlay85 said:

Dam thats terrible ill just sell the army 

That seems a bit severe!

You said everything is in boxes, so you are still able to equip the Brutes however you fancy (ie 10 with Hackas and 2x5 with Choppas or whatever you decide). You could then return 1 box and pick up the other bits you need, it's not really the end of the world.

Also, you could just run with the list you posted if you were keen on it. Whatever build you settled on it wouldn't be top tier, unfortunately Ironjawz just don't compete at that level.

Can I ask why you bought the army outright like this? If it's because you like the models then just crack on with it man, you'll have a blast!

2 hours ago, SlowPlay85 said:

Keep the faith it's surely only 2-6 weeks away from the Generals Handbook version 2 and considering the drastic changes to Fyreslayers and tomb kings there is hope that Ironjawz will feel the love they deserve, they are a "new" faction model wise so just from a pure business perspective GW will not want them too fall too far behind, they also suffered (like flesh eater courts and Fyreslayers) of being released before the onset of allegiance abilities this I am hopefull will be changed. 

Secondly and this is probably a good bit of advice generally ironjawz are world wide known to not be a competitive choice right now (and for at least the last 12 months oh wait that was when they were released.....) basically they are a knife edged army, some match ups and you will pound and pound the enemy into a bloody pulp and they will walk away wondering what on earth just happened, other games will be practically over by the end of turn 2 and you will looking at the board desperately searching for a model that isn't dead. 

Thats ironjawz plain and simple, once you get over that and accept it then "competitive" becomes "efficient" instead. As @Chris Tomlin has said battleshock is the ironjawz worst enemy (not actually the enemy) brutes have bravery 6 so if 1 dies you can lose one on a 6 roll (or a 5 roll of the enemy has sinister buff or a 4+ if decimators are about or worst 3+ if decimators are close and have sinister) it's an extreme example but 1 single decimator in this situationwith a star soul mace has a 50% chance to kill 2 or more brutes (potentially 4 brutes!!!) 

So with this in mind how do you mitigate our biggest weakness in our best unit? And make a more "competitive" list? 

Ardboyz are bravery 6 (8 if in 3" of enemy) so these guys will stick about a little more than brutes to hold objectives in units of 20 or 30 that's bravery 9/10 potentially so you need to really hit them hard for them to run

1 big unit of brutes that can be made immune to battleshock 15 is a serious threat coined "Megabrutes" but the forum here under current rules champ can be general so that means the unit is immune to battleshock until the last model dies. Couple this with +1 to hit (Bellowing tyrant) or +2 movement (ravager) and suddenly you have brutes working at maximum effficency all the way till the enemy has chewed thru the 46(47maybe) wounds. 

Gore grutnas are bravery 7 so u have to kill 2 in normal circumstances to force a BS test so that's 10 wounds of pig flesh before you even have to worry about it. Using these units to tank or pin enemy in place for you to Smash helps a lot. 

Lastly and this route is the way my ironjawz armies have gone since the masters just ignore battleshock and take multiple small brute units so that worst case scenario is if they focus on a unit you have lots of others to compensate (and therefore more boss choppas/Klaw and Smasha) 

so back to your models if you don't have Ardboyz/goregrutas or don't want to use them a real quick and simple fix would be to run 1 large unit (10 or 15 brutes) then the rest in 5 mans it will be more "efficient" not necessarily the most "competitive" but in a few weeks time who knows 3x10 man brutes may well be "competitive" when the winds change direction with GHBv2

9 hours ago, SlowPlay85 said:

You need to realise in aos. Competitive isn't really a thing in my eyes. Well it is but not for us mortals. 

What I mean is the state of the game at the moment. If you buy the "best" thing out right now. By the time you buy it build it an paint it it's probably not the best anymore. Or at least not for long. 

Some people hate that. To me that's a great place because the best solution for most of us who love the hobby as a whole is to lean into the models we love. Make them work as best we can. An enjoy them. 

What if ghb2 drops an combat is king characters are safe An ironjawz get the crown of command (or possibly conquest the one that grants inspiring presence so you can do it twice) any way. Everyone will be rocking ironjawz rolling out with 2x15 brutes an stomping the world!! Hard. 

Forget "COMPETITIVE" it's utter bs. 

Love ironjawz! Love life! 

On 6/14/2017 at 8:55 AM, SlowPlay85 said:

yeah, 'competetive' + IronJawz are not always coexisting in any kind of harmony ;)

but it really depends on what you are in it for; if you want to run a top-tier army that has built in power and forgiveness, then the IronJawz are probably not your best bet.  They can be very good (especially when the dice Gods are breathing life into your dice!) but they are rather singularly focused, so when that focus falls short, they tend to fall quite short and quite frustratingly flat.  That being said, I play knowing they are limited and play them because I absolutely fell in love with the new line of models (I am building a third Megaboss on foot simply because it is my favorite AoS model.  And they can wreck face!) when they were released and love that they play in tune to the narrative of their character.  Well, the Gore Gruntas could be so much more, but I digress...

Can I ask what made you choose Ironjaws?

Also, what makes a game fun? Do you have to win to have fun? Do you have to have a good looking army? Do you need fun, evenly matched games? 

If you think about what you want out of AoS you will have a good idea on whether ironjaws is for you.

Archived