New Player, 1000 Point Mixed Destruction

CrustyBoss

Hello all!

After admiring AOS from afar for a while now I've finally taken the plunge and bought a model, an IronJawz Megaboss to be precise (I just thought it looked awesome.) Unfortunately herein lies my problem... I have no idea how to build a decent army around him!!!

I'm not fussed about it being incredibly optimized, I would just like to avoid looking completely clueless when I go to my local store for my first skirmish!

So, sticking with the 'rule of cool' and (I think) including enough Battleline units for a 1000 point army I have come up with this list of mixed IronJawz/Ogors

Megaboss: 140

Weirdnob Shaman: 120

Ogors x3: 120

Ogorsx3: 120

Gargant: 180

Fellwater Troggoths x3: 200

Gorger x2: 120

= 1000 Points

Is this army completely useless? I like the idea of a monstrous ragtag group blasting round the countryside and tearing s**t up!

I also like:

IronJawz Brutes:

Ironguts

Any other Troggoth

The Ogor grots.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance!

Sadly that combination is rather useless :P It's a cool theme, but both the Megaboss and the Weirdnob have abilities that depend on other Ironjawz units being around. A simple fix would be to drop the Gargant and Troggoths for two units of 5 Brutes - that way you still stick to the theme, whilst getting some synergy into the list. It would still not be competitive by any means, but it would be better.

14 minutes ago, CrustyBoss said:

Sadly I was expecting an answer like this! Who will vomit my enemies to death now....?

Thanks for sparing me some blushes at the gaming table!

Hopefully Troggoths and Gargants will get a fix in GH2, the fact that they break allegiance is a huge handicap for them. We will see what happens.

9 minutes ago, Solaris said:

Hopefully Troggoths and Gargants will get a fix in GH2, the fact that they break allegiance is a huge handicap for them. We will see what happens.

Are they still eligible for Destruction specific bonuses until then?

Just now, CrustyBoss said:

Are they still eligible for Destruction specific bonuses until then?

Yes! It's just the fact that you can't include them in e.g. a Beastclaw or Ironjawz army without breaking allegiance that is problematic. In a mixed Destruction list, the issue is rather that they are on the pricey side for what they bring to the table.

5 minutes ago, Solaris said:

Yes! It's just the fact that you can't include them in e.g. a Beastclaw or Ironjawz army without breaking allegiance that is problematic. In a mixed Destruction list, the issue is rather that they are on the pricey side for what they bring to the table.

Right, I see. Thanks again for the clarification! Perhaps some first hand experience of getting my ass handed to me over the table will teach me the relative pros and cons...

The Megaboss pairs very well with Ironjawz Brutes, with giving them re-rolls To Hit rolls of 1, which helps them tear through enemy units.  The Megaboss's Command Ability is also directly affected by the number of Ironjawz units near him, though I find Inspiring Presence is usually more necessary for the Brutes.  Plus, the Brutes look like little Megabosses, so if you like the Megaboss model, you will likely enjoy the Brute models.

The Weirdnob Shaman can work with Greenskinz or Savage Orruks, since his bonus to casting is affected by <Orruk> models near him, not just Ironjawz.  So that is something to keep in mind.

Aleguzzler Gargants are fun to use, and they can put out a bunch of damage despite being so fragile.

A good rule of thumb is to take a unit or two that is the same army or race as your Leaders, especially if they have any synergies.  Sure, it isn't required, and your above posted list is technically legal for Matched Play.  If you have those models already, I can think of worse ways to learn to play the game.  If I were to capitalize on those models, I would go with an Ogor Hero like a Tyrant to be my General.

Thanks Bunkhouse!

I might try to switch out the Weirdnob Shaman,  Troggoths and Gorgers for a Tyrant and some Brutes in that case and have a bit more of a 'small Ogor force meets small IronJawz force' (With the Giant if I can help it, I really like that model!) feel.

On a side note it's great to have found a place where all my questions can find answers, seems like a very helpful community.

that's a total fun list...albeit a low model count list.

May want to think about adding a chaff unit of grots or savage orruks just to tie up other units.  as others have said, at least a unit of Brutes for the Megaboss to follow around would be  on offensive point.  I like that you are wanting a rag-tag bunch of Destruction! :)  I am actually in the process of building out my IronJawz into a mixed Destruction list for a bit of variety in look and game play.

And yes, this is the right place to be to get great feedback...Welcome to AoS!

Archived