Mortal Nurgle - Chaos Knights

SimonL

Hi All

I have decided to start a Nurgle army. I wanted to start by sticking to a mortal Nurgle army, as I think the putrid blightkings are some of the coolest figs in AoS ( and I can have them a battleline)

Question is - is a mortal Nurgle army a viable army? (Sure someone on here has a mortal Nurgle army but can't find the post) or would I be better off with deamons.

Thanks

Simon

I can't comment on the viability of mortal nurgle as I've yet to play a game of AoS yet.

However, with the pattern of recently released and the teased upcoming death guard release for 40k I wouldn't be at all surprised if Nurgle were to get the disciples of tzeentch and blades of khorne treatment sometime this year.

They will certainly get a book, Mortarion is also around the corner.

As for models, Blightkings are very solid, so are Papas, so simply said, go for it.

The only thing you have to accept for the time being is that their theme isnt completely fleshed out yet.

If you are into Blightkings, the Blightguard battalion is great. Use either the Glottkin or the Harbinger as your general as they have the best command abilities. Make sure the Lord of Plagues has a Chaos Runeblade so he is at least a bit of a threat. Bloat Rottspawn, followed by Morbidex Twiceborn are the useful Maggoth Lords. I like to have a summoning pool to drop some Plaguedrones and Plaguebearers too.

The problem with the Plaguetouched battalion is the requirement for units to be in multiples of 7 before they start spitting out mortal wounds, which doesn't work well with Blightkings.

Rats are probably quite useful, but I'm a bit old school for them to be a palatable option in my Nurgle army.

Large blobs of marauders are the best option to take advantage of grandfethers joy (primary plagetouched warband ability) as 30 is only 180 points and losing two for the battalion is no big deal. Mortal nurgle should ALMOST always use the harbinger as a general. There is really no comparison in terms of command abilities. 

2 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Large blobs of marauders are the best option to take advantage of grandfethers joy (primary plagetouched warband ability) as 30 is only 180 points and losing two for the battalion is no big deal. Mortal nurgle should ALMOST always use the harbinger as a general. There is really no comparison in terms of command abilities. 

A large blob of Chaos Warriors works even better... ;-)

I know you had success with it, but its not my style. In your list it was the main course, where as I prefer to have that gimmick (grandfathers joy) be my side dish. Would love to see this become an ability I can utilize on many other units rather then one that is restricted to only units in the battalion and under restrictive circumstances. 

Plaguetouched or Blightguard  ohh not sure, there are so many choices. Need to have a good think as I need to build one first (as funds allow)

sal4m4nd3r I found a post of yours with the following army -

Harbinger of Decay (General)

-Lord of war

-Chaos Talisman

Glotkin 

Festus the Leechlord

Rotbringer Sorcerer

Lord of Plagues

-Chaos Runeblade

Blightkings x5

Blightkings x5

Blightkings x5

Blightkings x5

1760/2000 With point left to summon 2 units of 10 plaguebearers. 

It was the one that I referred too in my first post, have you had a chance to use it?

I was thinking of something similar

Thanks

Simon

I must have been high when I wrote that. Because The blightguard or plague touched warband isnt paid for so only one squad of PB's could be summoned. But the blightguard is just simply not as good as the plague touched warband because it forces you to use two mediocre AT BEST heros (lord of MEH and the MEHbringers sorcerer). I think I tried this out for a week and realized its just all over the place with no focus. Everything has the same role and can be boat raced. Take out the lynchpin (harbinger) and the army will fold easily.  

Blightguard can do well at 1500, with help from artifacts on lord of plagues. Cant fit in 1000 points but is lost at 2000 point IMO. 

Thanks for the reply.

I will look at building an army around the Plague Touched warband, luckily I am in no rush. I have a few figures to play with for colour. While I am working it all out

Simon

Just reading bits and wondered if Chaos Knights would add a bit of speed to the army, are they effective enough for the points?

I can see the value of Marauders, but not keen on the figures. Might have to find alternatives. And Chaos warriors look alright, so will be getting some as the 5+ against mortals seems good.

Just looking at units and wondering there stats/points costs/effectiveness.

I am not trying to build an all powerful army, but one that will be fun and challenging.

You can certainly add them, I wouldn't say they are bad at all, however you might want to look into Daemonic Nurgle models to continue your theme. I have read that in your initial post you mentioned you like the Mortal side because of the Blightnights (and rightly so!) but I feel that the Plaguebearers and Glottkin blend in so well with the Daemonic Nurgle models that you might want to expand your collection there. I can also amost guarantee you that when Nurgle will get his own book that the combination of Mortals and Daemons will be very likely. 

But back to Chaos Knights! I personally think they are great. For 40 points a model you get a great deal that is indeed very fast, hits very well on the charge and also helps substracting that Bravery which is always a nice ability to have.
Currently you could say it's a bit of a toss up between them and Plague Drones, which technically have the same number of wounds, a slightly lower save (but a true old skool ward save!) and some ranged attacks. I do think that without conversions the Plague Drones thematically fit a mono-Nurgle army better.

So really go for what pleases you. The Blightkings box comes with enough bits to make the Chaos Knights look awesome also and all I can really say is that aiming for something awesome is essential for this game. 

Edit: In additon things like the Plague Furnace are also amazing. Nurgle has quite some depth to it if you think about it. Skaven Pestilens, Nurgle Rotbringers and Daemons of Nurgle basically are the pool I'd browse trough. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2017 at 11:17 AM, Taketheskull said:

If you are into Blightkings, the Blightguard battalion is great. Use either the Glottkin or the Harbinger as your general as they have the best command abilities. Make sure the Lord of Plagues has a Chaos Runeblade so he is at least a bit of a threat. Bloat Rottspawn, followed by Morbidex Twiceborn are the useful Maggoth Lords. I like to have a summoning pool to drop some Plaguedrones and Plaguebearers too.

The problem with the Plaguetouched battalion is the requirement for units to be in multiples of 7 before they start spitting out mortal wounds, which doesn't work well with Blightkings.

Rats are probably quite useful, but I'm a bit old school for them to be a palatable option in my Nurgle army.

I did run the BKs in a unit of 14..... they performed as per usual, sitting on the objective at the end of the game, sneering at all comers.:D

I've played against blightkings and they're pretty brutal.

If you're into converting, I'd pick up some beastmen, and some plague bearers and chop and change bodies and heads adding in some warrior heads for marauders.  Aesthetically GW loves nurgle as their sculpts are pretty much the most fun and characterful of all the chaos powers I think.

Another take which I was thinking about was inspired by the harbinger of decay figure, so instead of bloated nurgle, you have skeletal nurgle, all emaciated and withered, so you could bulk out with a box of zombies for bits as well. :)

Thanks Guys

Nice conversion ideas Kaleb, will look into it.

Just working on a 2K army to start with. Will be using Chaos Warriors/Knights/Marauders as a base with Blightkings and the others at the rear. And maybe some Deamons for summoning - maybe ;)

3 minutes ago, SimonL said:

Thanks Guys

Nice conversion ideas Kaleb, will look into it.

Just working on a 2K army to start with. Will be using Chaos Warriors/Knights/Marauders as a base with Blightkings and the others at the rear. And maybe some Deamons for summoning - maybe ;)

As a free gift, I'd like to point you in the direction of a thread on Librarium, where I also inhabit.

Mr Dee is pure nurgle gold and his painting and work is jaw droppingly awe inspiring.  It's a massive thread, but I'll start you on the page where the inspiration came from, and you can fill your boots from there ;)

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/projects/117742-dees-ruinous-powers-wip-153.html

Archived