Maiden Guard

rmbyoung

I've recently obtained a load of the old metal High Elf Maiden Guard (below) and am trying to decide what to use them as in my Order (mainly HE units) army. I have plenty of other units so am thinking about what unit best fits the appearance of the models rather than anything else (although I often don't have much choice about what I take as Battleline).

Anyone got any good ideas? I have 17 models so units that divide into 3 or 5 are better. I was thinking Wardancers might be the best fit (and come in units of 5), although Phoenix Guard, Swordmasters, or Wildwood Rangers could work too if I can find a few more models. The models have no bows but I guess I could stick some on in which case they could be Waywatchers, Glade Guard, or Sisters of the Watch...?

1998p085-00.jpg

I have plenty of other units so am thinking about what unit best fits the appearance of the models rather than anything else (although I often don't have much choice about what I take as Battleline).

The models have no bows but I guess I could stick some on in which case they could be Waywatchers, Glade Guard, or Sisters of the Watch...?

--> does not compute.

Use em as something with stave weapons please: eternal guard, spearman, phoenix guard.

The main focal point of them is that they have spears, so any unit they need to replace should have a Spear as a primary weapon.

I think they'd fit right in as Eternal Guard in a Wanderers army. If you can pick up another few models, you could get the unit up to 20 or just run them as an undersized unit at 17. I think this is probably the best option. 

If you put shields on them, you could run them as High Elf Spearmen. Even though they are compendium, they can slot right in, you just won't get any synergies.

IF you put both shields and bows on them,  you could run them as are Spireguard (Old Sea Guard, now in Swifthawk Agents). 

Thanks everyone. Yes they are very nice models, and in good condition too. I also have the Alarielle model on that page, so will probably use her as a battlemage on an Aelfy Hurricanum...

To fit their appearance with the minimum of modification it looks like Eternal Guard or possibly Phoenix Guard are probably the best option for the Maiden Guard, although I would have to add shields to make the most of the Eternal Guard rules. I have a load of HE spearmen and Sea Guard so don't really need any more of them. I did like the idea of using them as Wardancers, but those models tend to have some short swords too and less armour, and I would rather avoid building new compendium units at this point (I think they are compendium - don't have the Order book to hand right now).

I'd just proxy them as EG without adding shields.. might ruin the look. If you proxy anyway why bother with WYSIWYG.

Wardancers have way more dynamic poses.. they wouldn't make good wardancers IMHO (and yes.. they are compendium which is a shame since they are/where/could be so fluffy)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived