Legion Of Azgorh Mega-Thread

Ben

I've yet to play a match with my CDs. Hopefully soon - while I have 30x FGs and 30x ISs, I've got a magma cannon, rocket launcher and iron demon on the way. I'm looking forward to painting them up and trying them out.

I've got my eye on Fireborn later on. Anyone use them yet? They look good on paper, much better than the bull centaurs, who don't look like they'd do well at all - but are almost something that you should taken, if only for the speed of them.

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another game tonight, this time vs Josh with Nurgle Mortals. 

Morbid and Bloab,  Blight Kings formations with 4 unit of 5, the Lord of Plages and a Sorcerer getting -1 to hit and reroll 1's to hit and wound. 10 Nurgle Warriors and 5 Knights.

I used my Option 1 list.  

Blackshard Warhost.
2x 20 IG
2x 20 FG
BSB - Chaos Talisman
Castellan, Great Weapon, General, Lord of War, Crown of Conquest
2x Daemunsmiths
2x Magma Cannons
2x Deathshriekers
Iron Daemon.

It comes in at 2000 points.  

I was not going to get the choice of 1st turn even if I deployed the formation in 1 drop as Josh had less units and a formation too so I decided to drop my death shriekers first and then the Infernal Guard and characters waiting to see where the Magma Cannons and Fireglaves needed to go.

I was pretty confident that a volley from 20 Fireglaves would drop the Maggoths as long as I could get a few buffs on them.

I ended up with 1 unit opposite each Maggoth and the Magmas opposite the Knights

Josh decided to take first turn and ran to the centre of the board.  I'm not sure whats the right choice vs my army.  I have more drops so if he has to deploy deep with whole army to avoid the magmas, and still gets shot with the Deathshriekerrs.  If he takes turn 1 then there is a chance he gets double turned with my whole gun line in range.  

He took first turn.  I didn't get the double so it was game on!

I did manage to drop Morbidex on turn 1.  The firglaves got re-roll 1's from the formation and +1 to hit from Lord of War.  A deathshrieker had to help out bring him down after some awesome save throws.  

Josh won the priority roll and charged my lines.  The Iron Deamon didn't provide and ossicle at all with 1 unit of Blight Kings doing 9 wounds thought it s 3+ save!!!  Bloab killed a few gunners but in my turn my Martial Contempt ability was in range and he didn't stand a chance.

I think if I had won double turn here it would have be a wash.  Josh won again and the Blight Kings went on a rampage.  I think I lost around 40 infantry this turn.  It was looking pretty dicey and my objective (we played Take and Hold) was under serious assault.  

Over the new few turns I managed to pick off enough models from each Blight King unit to stop the carnage and finally wipe them out.  A massive slugfest with Josh's whole army fighting my remaining infantry ended up with the Spite Shields and magma cannons doing enough damage to win me the game and wipe Josh out to just a single Chaos Spawn.  

I had remaining most of my army.  I lost the Iron Deamon and all the Infernal Guard. The fireglaives were on their last legs.

Overall the lest felt solid and not as dull as I expected.  The Deathshriekers i'm totally unsure on.  They are so cheap that its also a shame to to take them, anything I swap them for probably doesn't do as much as the pair of them, but they actually do very little other than a wound here and there.  The impact of placing them on the table is far more than their damage output.  This might change vs Order and Destruction with the BSB ability.  

I think dropping them for the Skullcracker might be a good idea.  I can still play aggressive with the Iron Deamon and hold the skullcracker for late game.

A note on Traits and Artefacts.  

Lord of War on my General is fantastic with the Fireglaves.  I could gamble and take Dark Avenger but I know in that case I will face infantry heavy chaos all weekend and regret it.  

Chaos Talisman on my BSB seems a solid choice.  He is a week link that is great against order but will likely die to a single judicator volley, the talisman should keep him alive.  

Crown of Conquest of fantastic. Its the only item that I will get use form in every turn.  It could be a good shout on my BSB or Demonsmith too.  Double crown is totally a thing.

Still time for a few more practice games.  I have the fir day before the event free to get 2/3 games in too 

IMG_4778.JPG

IMG_4783.JPG

IMG_4779.JPG

IMG_4784.JPG

IMG_4768.JPG

IMG_4781.JPG

IMG_4769.JPG

IMG_4785.JPG

IMG_4780.JPG

IMG_4770.JPG

IMG_4773.JPG

IMG_4775.JPG

IMG_4776.JPG

IMG_4771.JPG

IMG_4772.JPG

IMG_4777.JPG

Crown of Command and Talisman are all I will bother with taking. Usually 3 crown of commands or 2 and 1 Talisman because Pestilens. I pay the extra points for formations specifically to get them as they are so vital for my stuff. I'm the same with Lord of War too, Dark Avenger is too much of a risk against death/destruction/chaos

That's good about the list playing alright. Bad about the Deathshriekers though ( I just bought 2!) I will have to swap them out for Magma's.

Did you ever try running your IG or Fireglaives in units of 10 then? Die too quickly?

The fireglaves only shoot twice vs monsters in units of 10 or more so they really need to be in 20's  

Infernal Guard are great in 10's too but I think with the rule of 1, and the Crown of Conquest units of 20 might be a better choice.  

Really enjoyed it - cheers! The extra inspiring presence is really strong, if you run a couple of biggish units I can't see how you'd take anything else! That turn where your armour saves abandoned you though, sheeeesh

Couple of people I play with regularly are keen to head down one night too, so thanks for your warm welcome

It's looking like I won't get my list painted for Warlords so added to the fact that I wanted something a little more varied to play i'm thinking of taking this.

unspecified.png

2 War Engines, Drazhoath and the Taur'uk give me a good amount of combat troops.  The Lord of War nicely buffs Drazhoath of the turn he wants to fly off and cause some damage and hopefully the same to the Taur'uk the following turn. 

My main concern is the lack of bodies.  

My army has previously excelled at winning the grind.  Now I don't want to get into a grind fight.  

Hi Ben,

I just noticed that the 'official' Infernal Guard in the photo for the Blackshard Warhost on the Forge World website are mounted on 25mm bases, while yours are mounted on 32mms. Do you find the larger bases give you any kind of noticeable handicap in games (namely not being able to fight in ranks with the Ironsworn), or even advantage (the way you screened the Fulminators in your livestream game at Warlords)?

Also, is it just me or are Legion battleline infantry infinitely better than their Dispossessed counterparts for less points?

4 minutes ago, Nico said:

Their Battleline infantry may be ok, but they don't have elite infantry - Dispossessed have like 4-5 types of elite infantry.

Yep, the two things I can take solace in is that Dispossessed have a million different ways to buff their units with heroes and a very good battalion and that Forge World can't into points.

our club has a monthly gaming/hobby challenge. This months task was to write some background for our armies. 

Here is mine. 

------

Hrakan The Souless, Lord of War, Master of the Black Gate, Supreme Hellsmith of Aqshy looked up from his work.

The interruption must be urgent. Why else would he be disturbed.  Orders have been issued, threats delivered and slaves sacrificed.  All of his minions understand the importance of the Blood of Hashut ritual and none would dare interfere. 

The silence was enough to tell the wretch to speak and be quick about it.

"Lord.  The Lightning Warriors have been spotted" said the Infernal Guard.  

That was unexpected.  It was only a few short weeks since The Knights of Azyr had last been vanquished and they were not expected in this area any time soon.  

Hrakan was old beyond measure. In the depths of his memories were visions of other worlds, forgotten wars, enslavement of entire empires and at the centre of it all, the Black Fortress.  The seat of power of the military might of the Dawi Zharr.  It was all gone.  

Aqshy was a fitting replacement, a suitable site for a new base of power for the Legion.  Work has already started on a new fortress city to surpass even Mingol-Zharr-Naggrund.  Lord Drazhoath might command this new city of Fire and Desolation but Hrakan's Black Gate will be its crowning glory.  

The Sigmarites had until now been content with boarder skirmishes on the edge of the Legions territory, but since that fool Korgus Khul had been defeated they were pressing further and further into the Realm of Fire.  Construction must not be interrupted. 

The Guard stood ready for orders.  His regiment, the 9th battalion, clear by the colourings of his faceless helm.

Hrakan barked his orders.  "Send out the 9th.  Magmas and Shrikers to support.  Fire up the daemon engines"

The guard understood.  The infantry took the brunt of every meeting with the Lightning warriors and his entire battalion would pay for this disturbance.

It took only a few minutes before the sounds of preparation for battle drifted into Hrakan's workshop.  The unmistakable wail of the tortured Daemon engines being stoked and the stomp of boots as the 9th battalion formed ranks. 

The ritual was nearing completion now.  The Blood of Hashut was the Legions most prized secret.  In order to ascend to the rank of Daemonsmith a sorcerer must create his own recipe, an alchemical mixture infused with the Daemonic magics.  A true prophet of Hashut will drink his creation and ascend to his rightful position or, if he is lucky, die in the attempt.  

The battle was raging now. Familiar sounds of screeching Deathshrieker rockets filled the air accompanied by the thump of magma cannons and the maddening, wailing sounds of the enraged Iron Daemon war engines.  

An new sound made Hrakan pause.  At first it seemed like lightning, more reinforcements for Sigmars armies, but that wasn't it.  The sounds was odd, wrong almost with a strange crackle to the air.  Finally, a smile creased Hrakan's grizzled face as he came to realise what it was. 

The Clan Skryre has arrived.  

22 hours ago, Suave said:

Ben- where did you get those sweet dice for keeping track of buffs and abilities?

I designed them myself and sell them on this website ;)

check out the store section on here or go to scenerydice.co.uk

I designed them myself and sell them on this website [emoji6]
check out the store section on here or go to scenerydice.co.uk

Good stuff. Any new designs planned for the near future? Might buy some of these on your ebay store.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Back on topic, I have 2 events to do write ups for but first I have  aClub League to win.  

I finished top of our League table.  Tied with @Rob for first on total score but with 5 wins to Robs 3. (Best 3 scores count) 

This of course means going undefeated I will los the play off!

The play off is taking place this thursday and will be 4000 points.  The battle plan is TBC but this is my army for the game.  

Drazhoath The Ashen (380)
Shar'tor the Executioner (240)
Bull Centaur Taur'uk (180)
Daemonsmith (100)
Daemonsmith (100)
Infernal Guard Battle Standard (80)
Infernal Guard Castellan (120)

Bull Centaur Renders x 3 (160)
Bull Centaur Renders x 3 (160)
Infernal Guard Fireglaives x 20 (200)
Infernal Guard Fireglaives x 20 (200)
Infernal Guard Ironsworn x 20 (200)
Infernal Guard Ironsworn x 20 (200)

Warpfire Dragon (200)

Iron Daemon (200)
Skullcracker (240)
Hellcannon (300)
Deathshrieker (120)
Deathshrieker (120)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)

Blackshard Warhost (80)

Total: 4000/2000

my 3rd Magma won't be painted so i'll be swapping it out for another Leader.  Probably a Castallent with a different Weapon option.  

Looking forward to this Rob.  Gonna be an epic battle! 

That's a super huge battle indeed. Love to see pics of it, if you can!

And I hate to be a wet blanket - and maybe you and your opponent have considered this and don't care about the details - but doesn't the Warpfire Dragon disqualify your army list simply by making the Fireglaives/Ironsworn no longer battleline?

• 2 weeks later...

I am done painting my last project so I need a new army to build. I like something a little bit unique or left field but still something that I could bring to tournments and not expect to loose every game. I am really close to pulling the trigger on the legion.

Models I like and would like to include: Dreadquake Mortar, Iron daemon, Skullcracker, Magma cannon and Kdaai Fireborn.

Models I dont care for: Bull Centaurs.

If I would take the models I like and fill out the rest with the Warhost, do you think it would be viable. 2000pt would look something like this:

1    Infernal Guard Castellan    120
1    Infernal Guard Battle Standard    80
1    Daemonsmith    100
1    Daemonsmith    100
20    Infernal Guard Ironsworn    200
10    Infernal Guard Fireglaives    100
3    K'Daai Fireborn    100
1    Dreadquake Mortar    200
1    Magma Cannon    140
1    Magma Cannon    140
1    Iron Daemon    200
1    Skullcracker    240
-    Blackshard Warhost    80

The idea being that you use the warmachines and fireglaives to make the opponent come at you then you use the Iron Daemon, Skullcracker and Fireborn to try to sneak around and score objectives. Or use them distract your opponent while you shoot.

A few questions: 

Are 50 Infernal Guard enough to hold the line? Do I need to switch for example the Iron Daemon for 20 more? (or the mortar which I really like the look of :().

Can you compete in 3 places of power without bull centaur heros and only one slow semi-suvivable. Do I need to switch for example the Skullcracker for Shartor or the Iron Daemon (or the mortar) for a Tauruk?

What is the best set up if you only have 50 Infernal Guards? I have been thinking that maybe I should take 20 Ironsworn just to be able to put IP on the and use them as the main anvil. I am a roller so no guarantee that I can get it on more than one unit.  Then take 3 units of Fireglaives to max out the naptha bombs and force the opponent to spread out damage at the expense that I quickly lose the bring down the beast ability.

Should I drop the warhost formation and battle standard for more bodies or another magma cannon or a tauruk or are they worth it in practice?

What do you think? This list is going to look amazing if I go for it but could I run it as is in a tournament enviroment or what do I need to change?

Edit: I forgot Drazhoath, that is a great model. Maybe switch the Skullcracker plus the battlestandard and formation for him?

Archived