Open War Deck...still usable?

I love this deck of cards from AoS1 to generate battles. I don't recall there being a ton of mechanics, so it seems like they would be usable with AoS2.

_However_

I see that the new GHB (don't own yet) has a battleplan generator in it. Also, the Warlord Edition of that book comes with some deck of cards that look similar.

So...is the original Open War deck still viable...or has GW required a new method for generating battles under AoS2?

I've been through the old and the new battleplan generators and it's definitely worth holding on to your old cards.

I'm trying to remember this all of the top of my head so forgive me if I make a mistake here however:

The new generators in GHB1 8 have exactly the same 12 deployment cards. However, the six new objectives are different to the old 12 objectives, so we now have 18 objectives total rather than the six published last week. Likewise, the six twists published last week are different to the 12 from 1st ed so we've now got a total of 18 to pick from. The six new ruses are also different to the old six so we now have a deck of 12 twists. The six old sudden deaths are also different to the old six so they are now a deck of 12.

So, by combining the old cards with the new cards/tables we have a vastly expanded selection for each part of the battleplan generator.

Depending on whether you use dice and tables or card draw you'll need to take into account that the two decks have different backs, so sombre dice are needed I guess.

Caveat - when I say I've been through them, I've just skimmed through so please don't shoot me down I'd someone points out that one of the old cards is basically the same as a new one...

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2018 at 10:31 PM, TheAntsAreBack said:

Depending on whether you use dice and tables or card draw you'll need to take into account that the two decks have different backs, so sombre dice are needed I guess.

Just sleeve the cards, the Shadespire ones should do!

Archived