Vanguard Stormcast Warband

Let's 'ere it for da boyz!

Hey all.  I'm loving this wonderful game and really looking forward to future expansions and the new warbands.

With that being said, I'm very curious about how the upcoming Vanguard Hunter-focused Stormcast list will play.  In AoS, they are a force focused on hit and run tactics, able to appear and disappear from the battlefield at will. 

How will this mobility be represented in the Mirrored City?  What will their stats look like?  What are some cards you expect to see in their deck?  How many heroes will there be in the warband?

Here goes my completely off-the-cuff speculation, based on no real information whatsoever:

I reckon they will be similar to Steelheart's Champions, with a little more movement and slightly weaker defense.  I'm thinking 4 movement, a shield for defense, and 2-dice hammer attacks.  

I'm guessing there will be 3-4 models in the band.  The leader probably has the ability to pull some movement shenanigans to reposition his bros.  I also suspect movement will factor into each model becoming inspired.

What do you guys think?  I am super excited to see what this great community comes up with!

I won't even begin to guess on how they'll play. As of now Guard is the only warband who really have any "special" mechanic on their fighters in their ability to resurrect and move two fighters in a turn. It shows at least they use special stuff sparsely.

The big question in my opinion is whether they will be a separate faction with their own symbol - or if they will be an alternative stormcast faction who shares the same symbol as Champions - and thereby can use the same cards.
Same goes for the upcoming chaos warband. I really hope they are "just" Khorne and they throw in a couple of cards specifically to help the Reavers out a bit. 

4 hours ago, Turragor said:

I think they'll go all ranged with them - the majority will have a 2 hex (is 3 super OP?) attack doing 1 damage or so. If I remember right, all vanguard units have ranged attacks.

I hope you're right, because this could be really cool.  Attacking without fear of easy reprisals is big and so is plinking off wounds from 1-2 hexes away while sat on an objective.  A whole faction that can do this without power cards could be a lot of fun. Definitely a unique style - until those stunties and their throwing axes show up.

I would not be surprised if we saw something like each fighter getting a regular attack, maybe 2 Hammers for Damage 2, and then a ranged 2-3 attack that's 1 Hammer for Damage 1. I would dislike there being a force that does high damage from a range - that feels like it would be very difficult to play against, especially for Liberators or Sepulchral Guard. But everyone having a "harass" mechanic that can't really be used to kill but offers some utility, that could be quite interesting.

49 minutes ago, Requizen said:

I would not be surprised if we saw something like each fighter getting a regular attack, maybe 2 Hammers for Damage 2, and then a ranged 2-3 attack that's 1 Hammer for Damage 1. I would dislike there being a force that does high damage from a range - that feels like it would be very difficult to play against, especially for Liberators or Sepulchral Guard. But everyone having a "harass" mechanic that can't really be used to kill but offers some utility, that could be quite interesting.

I agree that a ranged attack could be very game-breaking.  I'd think either making it weaker or less likely to hit as you've suggested is a good compromise.  Or perhaps it could be a particularly taxing activation - like a charge - and "reloading" would take the rest of that piece's focus for that action phase.

On 13-12-2017 at 12:36 AM, Let's 'ere it for da boyz! said:

- How will this mobility be represented in the Mirrored City?
 - What will their stats look like?  
- What are some cards you expect to see in their deck?
 - How many heroes will there be in the warband?

Here goes my completely off-the-cuff speculation, based on no real information whatsoever:

I reckon they will be similar to Steelheart's Champions, with a little more movement and slightly weaker defense.  I'm thinking 4 movement, a shield for defense, and 2-dice hammer attacks.  

I'm guessing there will be 3-4 models in the band.  The leader probably has the ability to pull some movement shenanigans to reposition his bros.  I also suspect movement will factor into each model becoming inspired.

What do you guys think?  I am super excited to see what this great community comes up with!

- I think that we will see a copy of Sidestep and Confusion as one of their exclusive Ploys.
- I expect their stats to be akin to Steelheart's Champions but with a different Inspire trigger and not inspiring to double Shield defences. Instead I think they will have a ranged attack that is essentially a Shardfall Darts but with range 2 (twice), have one fighter without ranged attack but stronger general attack and I even expect them to have a single Aetherwing (probably with the stats of Targor).
- In terms of cards really anything is possible. 
- As above some cards I expect them to be long ranged but also mobile in melee. We allready see a confusion upgrade with their art and this will probably serve them well also. I think they will have 4 fighters in total, 3 being what we expect of uninspired Stormcast and 1 "Targor".
We don't know how many fighters the Warband will have but I do expect 4. Which would make them akin to Magore's Fiends aswell, as in being 3 relevant fighters and 1 pet. 

I think your guess is as good as any for now. As soon as we know more I'll certainly share it aswell :) 

I do not hope they all will get range attacks. Slower units won't get in melee range, when they are allways pushed back by range attacks.

Maybe the Leader could geta attack like shadeglass darts. The Atherwing could have some special ability like, charge and move after the attack or can be moved twice in a round.

Think there will be 4 Models. 1 Boss, 1 Aetherwing, and two other guys. Every warband should have their own cards. Don't mix different Stormcast (or Khorne) Warbands up. Balancing could be damaged by something like this.

Archived