Repainting Models...

Mr. White

So, I originally got into AoS through Silver Tower. Initially, I thought Silver Tower would be the extent of my AoS journey. I was wrong...

The way I colored my ST models is how I'd rather paint a different faction. I want to repaint parts of my ST models. If I'm only changing skin color, is it possible to just repaint the skin on the Tzanngors and such and still have good looking modesl or is a complete strip and repaint necessary? :/

I wouldn't advise overpainting already painted miniatures. This is because it adds layers to the paint, and the underlying ones are not necessary (you wouldn't do them if you were pursuing your scheme from the beginning). However, I agree that clearing one part or segment of the miniature is possible. I did in on some occassions (eg. repainting banner, I only put the banner inside solution that removed paint, without even touching the bearer. I also remember repainting face underneath the helm, it is possible too). What you can do is to apply paint remover with toothbrush or cotton buds. Just make sure you later clear the surface with soap or dish soap. In any case, good luck:)

Easily done mate, especially if it was painted decently in the first place.

If the model was already a bit think on the paint, then I'd consider stripping.

I currently do this with some of my Freeguild models. They're from an older Empire army I had which was painted in different colours. In general I've been changing one of the main colours to match my armies main colour, and touching up other areas (Which may include repainting the skin).

Same as others have said, it depends on how much paint you've already lain down and what colours.  I've repainted models in the past with no ill effects and you wouldn't notice any difference.  Others would need to be properly stripped beforehand.  Stripping just the flesh of a model will be fairly time consuming and you always run the risk of messing up the surrounding area or taking it back to bare plastic (so might need priming).

Archived