How important is one drop ?

Dragon10

I've never had one nor looked to build a list which was one drop.

Like a good game of chess, I like to react to every situation and attempt to develop a strategy than run a cookie cutter strategy where it can quickly deviate from the plan.

With formations costing a lot more points in GHB2017, I guess that you'll see a lot less of these types of lists.

3-5 Drops may be a target for most. I'll stick with my 11-13 drops though :-D

36 minutes ago, Lousy Beatnik said:

Was there ever any explanation as to why battalions get the one drop rule? The addition doesn't really make any sense to me. Is it purely a "game" rule? It certainly doesn't make any narrative sense, or add any flavour in my eyes.

A battalion in the real world is a group of units trained to work together (or maybe from the same village or 'grove' or something), so they will know what actions other units will be doing or trust they will do their role.  This is represented by the additional special rules and the fact they turn up to the battle together. Im not really read up on AoS lore so dont know if this appears in the fluff but I can certainly envisage it for a lot of factions.  Rules wise I wish they had made it so it was all or nothing on deployment, being able to drip feed in response while still knowing you will finish deploying first is a bit too positive without enough negative.

Generally one drop armies are going to have some sort of plan and abilities that allow them to take and make the most of the first turn. If you don't that then deploying your whole army at once is likely a disadvantage. 

In an ideal game you'll want to have one drop less than your opponent so you can make the most of reactive drops whilst still deciding who has the first turn. 

3 hours ago, Auticus said:

One Drop or minimal drop armies are gaming the ability to choose who goes first which influences who can get double-turn first.

Double-turn can often win the game when it goes off and as such can be extraordinarily powerful. 

As such - being able to decide who goes first has a lot of weight behind it.

Beyond actually getting the double turn, being one drop and dictating first turn lets you either take first turn if there's a tactical reason (generally alpha strike type lists), or remove the risk of the early double turn (in either case, you dictate play). 

Archived