1500pt khorne bloodbound feedback for a new playe

Patrick

I would really appreciate some feedback and thoughts on the following list. I am just starting out, have played a coupleof games with slight variations of this list and was wondering if you have any suggestions for making it better. 

Maybe a bit cheesy (but at this point i am not much of a match for my regular opponents).. a second secrator?

Dark fest

blood secrator

blood stoker

mighty lord of khorne

scyla

slaughterpriest

3x 20 bloodreavers (-1 rend ones)

3 mighty skullcrushers

5 wrathmongers

1 korgorath

My findings: enough targets for my opponent to shoot at (my local gaming group consists of a lot of shooting) and they tend to focus on the skullcrushers or my mighty lord (which i think is fine, because then more reavers make it into combat). Other times they focus on the reavers, which results in me having some ok characters left. 

Still not sure on the reavers, 3x20 or 1x20 and the rest in 10 man squads.

scyla is so much fun to play! He normally lasts the game and can dish out a lot of damage, especially when wounded. And the 6" pile in is awesome.

wrathmongers... are fun, great models

My problem;: in most games my reavers tend to get shot into oblivion. In my most recent game i only had a unit of 20 left after turn 1... and also lost my skullcrushers (my opponent had the first turn and shot them all down). And without the opportunity to get my banner down... 

do you have any suggestions to make this list stronger? I must say that i really like the bloodreaver models and once they get into combat... awesome.

tips on artifacts?  Recently gave my lord reroll to wound and hit with the extra khorne command ability and artefact.

3 skull crushers aren't really going to do anything. They don't hit hard enough. Either go full brass stampede to Garantee those mortal wounds or nothing. 

Same with the khorgorath. If your going to use them then use a few together as a unit. 

id swap out the lord and skull crushers and use the points to beef up the khorgarath unit and add some skull reapers. 

16 hours ago, Blood&skulls said:

3 skull crushers aren't really going to do anything. They don't hit hard enough. Either go full brass stampede to Garantee those mortal wounds or nothing. 

I dont necessarily agree! I think Skullcrushers can be relevant without full brass stampede (7 units). 

On 2017-6-10 at 10:59 AM, Patrick said:

My findings: enough targets for my opponent to shoot at (my local gaming group consists of a lot of shooting) and they tend to focus on the skullcrushers or my mighty lord (which i think is fine, because then more reavers make it into combat). Other times they focus on the reavers, which results in me having some ok characters left. 

Still not sure on the reavers, 3x20 or 1x20 and the rest in 10 man squads.

scyla is so much fun to play! He normally lasts the game and can dish out a lot of damage, especially when wounded. And the 6" pile in is awesome.

wrathmongers... are fun, great models

My problem;: in most games my reavers tend to get shot into oblivion. In my most recent game i only had a unit of 20 left after turn 1... and also lost my skullcrushers (my opponent had the first turn and shot them all down). And without the opportunity to get my banner down... 

do you have any suggestions to make this list stronger? I must say that i really like the bloodreaver models and once they get into combat... awesome.

tips on artifacts?  Recently gave my lord reroll to wound and hit with the extra khorne command ability and artefact.

Your list seems like a cool start to me. I don't think you need Dark Feast but if you want to run it, by all means it's a good way to get a lot out of your Bloodreavers. The basic set up seems good to me, Scyla however in my opinion is better replaced by an additional Khorgorath in this force for that unit. By large because you can buff them aswell if you wanted to. I do think Scyla is great fun but he also soacks up quite some points.

In regards to your own findings and problem, by all means continue the fun! If you dont want to have Reavers removed you are better not running them at all. This sounds silly but Reavers just die really fast to attacks. If you want to have a stronger list some of the core principles could change. For example you could not run Dark Feast and use a 100 points for Blood Warriors or Khorgorath. In addition just by dropping Scyla and Dark Feast you gain points to run a more armoured backbone.

While the bonusses from Dark Feast arn't bad, sniping out the Slaughterpriest often becomes an opponents main plan and isn't too difficult to do. The more guys you bring the better you can deal with missle attacks as removing key characters or a unit of Bloodreavers stops being an efficient way to migate this force.

7 hours ago, misthv said:

I dont necessarily agree! I think Skullcrushers can be relevant without full brass stampede (7 units). 

I use a unit of 6 myself so I agree with you. I find they tend to be useful against lightly armoured units (the juggernaughts kill more than the riders) as a tarpit or a distraction. Iv found people tend to worry about them as they are a big imposing unit but my problem is that 3 don't fulfill any of those purposes very well. 

Well I think it works out as support units. The thing that's very relevant in AoS is that you compair unit to unit, cost by cost, so no, 160 points of Skullcrushers will not deal with 300 points of infantry very well but 140-180 is certainly in the realm of possabilities. Double up on units of 3 and suddenly two of those units can deal with 300 points of whatever...

Truth be told, I like them but they are dicey. A lot of their poweress comes from doing those first mortal wound or not. Like a Skullcannon this means that sometimes they are wonderful and sometimes they are not. However this is the 'weakness' Khorne has to deal with for these units because their threat ranges are much larger as our regular troops who preform more consistantly.

For semi-casual levels or armies that run powerful other units the Skullcrushers are more than allright. Granted obviously maxing out that Battalion makes them worth it as the 'backbone' because your 2K force with 7 units of them will have not much room for more "backbone" either.

i think you are right. At the moment the reaver list isnt very competitive. And based on the feedback here and elsewere (and my own experience).. i doubt they ever will be. I think I am going to try and create a more armoured bcakbone of bloodwarriors and skullreapers. I don't like to rush and buy all sorts of models, so probably will slowly add them and see what works and what doesnt. 

Somehow I find it difficult to drop Scyla. I'll have a game this thursday and i'll drop Scyla and dark feast and add some armour and see how it feels and works.

I really like the skullcrushers... true they are hardly consistent in their output and ability... but they are fast and an imposing unit (and as such get a lot of attention).

On 2017-6-14 at 4:42 PM, Killax said:

Your list seems like a cool start to me. I don't think you need Dark Feast but if you want to run it, by all means it's a good way to get a lot out of your Bloodreavers. The basic set up seems good to me, Scyla however in my opinion is better replaced by an additional Khorgorath in this force for that unit. By large because you can buff them aswell if you wanted to. I do think Scyla is great fun but he also soacks up quite some points.

In regards to your own findings and problem, by all means continue the fun! If you dont want to have Reavers removed you are better not running them at all. This sounds silly but Reavers just die really fast to attacks. If you want to have a stronger list some of the core principles could change. For example you could not run Dark Feast and use a 100 points for Blood Warriors or Khorgorath. In addition just by dropping Scyla and Dark Feast you gain points to run a more armoured backbone.

While the bonusses from Dark Feast arn't bad, sniping out the Slaughterpriest often becomes an opponents main plan and isn't too difficult to do. The more guys you bring the better you can deal with missle attacks as removing key characters or a unit of Bloodreavers stops being an efficient way to migate this force.

6 minutes ago, Patrick said:

i think you are right. At the moment the reaver list isnt very competitive. And based on the feedback here and elsewere (and my own experience).. i doubt they ever will be. I think I am going to try and create a more armoured bcakbone of bloodwarriors and skullreapers. I don't like to rush and buy all sorts of models, so probably will slowly add them and see what works and what doesnt. 

Somehow I find it difficult to drop Scyla. I'll have a game this thursday and i'll drop Scyla and dark feast and add some armour and see how it feels and works.

I really like the skullcrushers... true they are hardly consistent in their output and ability... but they are fast and an imposing unit (and as such get a lot of attention).

An option to consider is to have some Bloodreavers around, just not so many that they also become the prime target. 
Threat saturation is the only way for Khorne to really compete these days, it's obtained by bringing mass and armour. 

Scyla can certain be the kept, he and Valkia are the few 'assassins' weve got. If you like him, keep him. 

I think Skullcrushers are also very neat though they do push you in the Brass Stampede direction quite fast. Go for that if you like to run 3+ of them for example. 

1 hour ago, Killax said:

An option to consider is to have some Bloodreavers around, just not so many that they also become the prime target. 
Threat saturation is the only way for Khorne to really compete these days, it's obtained by bringing mass and armour. 

Scyla can certain be the kept, he and Valkia are the few 'assassins' weve got. If you like him, keep him. 

I think Skullcrushers are also very neat though they do push you in the Brass Stampede direction quite fast. Go for that if you like to run 3+ of them for example. 

I've been thinking about this and Khorne really needs to have a unit that can fly or even have Scyla-like ability to jump over blocking units. We can not reliably assassinate a back line character or unit unlike any army with decent range like all the current top performing armies in the tournament meta.  This makes Valkia and Scyla who are likely both a bit overcosted still very interesting because they are really our only options to do this.  

I was reading the Let's Chat DoT thread and what can Khorne do to massed Skyfires or even Enlightened protected by a cheap screen of acolytes supported by shaman's? 

EDIT: This also makes going Mixed Chaos just for Sayl so attractive too which I really don't like. 

2 hours ago, Easytyger said:

I've been thinking about this and Khorne really needs to have a unit that can fly or even have Scyla-like ability to jump over blocking units. We can not reliably assassinate a back line character or unit unlike any army with decent range like all the current top performing armies in the tournament meta.  This makes Valkia and Scyla who are likely both a bit overcosted still very interesting because they are really our only options to do this.  

I was reading the Let's Chat DoT thread and what can Khorne do to massed Skyfires or even Enlightened protected by a cheap screen of acolytes supported by shaman's? 

EDIT: This also makes going Mixed Chaos just for Sayl so attractive too which I really don't like. 

Khorne certainly profits from it in certain cases. I really like Valkia because of it. Khorne too suffers against Skyfires, thaking multiple Bloodsecrators at this point has become one of the most succesful awnsers. Beat on, bring the numbers and this applies to both our infantry and heroes.

I personally really like the Murderhost Battalion for that reason. I was also working on The Goretide for the same reason but I dont know how that works out now with Khul being required and such ;) 

So if you can, bring numbers, be speedy.

Archived