Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Liath

A question about BloodReaver attacks

Recommended Posts

I'm a little confused on a rule (or pair of rules).

A bloodreaver gets one attack, however Frenzied Devotion gives them an additional attack if they're within 12" of a Bloodsecrator. However the Bloodsecrator's own rule Rage of Korne gives all units within 18" an additional attack.

How many attacks do bloodreavers get when within 12" of a Bloodsecrator?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Percy Verance said:

2 attacks 0-12"
3 attacks 12.1-18"

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
 

Hi Percy

Thanks for coming back so quickly - can you clarify the 12.1-18? I was expecting either 2 attacks at all ranges or less than 12" to be 3 and 12" to 18" to be 3?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Liath said:

I'm a little confused on a rule (or pair of rules).

A bloodreaver gets one attack, however Frenzied Devotion gives them an additional attack if they're within 12" of a Bloodsecrator. However the Bloodsecrator's own rule Rage of Korne gives all units within 18" an additional attack.

How many attacks do bloodreavers get when within 12" of a Bloodsecrator?

Hi Liath, the awnser is simple but requires some context. 

- Frenzied Devotion gives them an additional attack if they are within 12" of  Chaos Totem. This ability is not cumulative. The Bloodsecrator has the Chaos Totem Keyword but the Bloodsecrator is not the prime Keyword for Frenzied Devotion to be activated. 
- Rage of Khorne is an ability that the Bloodsecrator only has if he 'activates' Portal of Skulls. This is something you have to declare in the Hero phase and not something that continues once you do. This ability is cumulative because it adds 1 to all melee attacks.

So depending on wether the Bloodsecrator has activated the Portal of Skulls or not the Bloodreavers will have two attacks instead of one if they are within 12" of the Chaos Totem (which can be a Bloodsecrator) and depending if the Bloodsecrator has used the Portal of Skulls or not you can add 1 attack in the Combat phase thanks to Rage of Khorne if they are within that range aswell. 

The common mistake I see here is:

1. Frenzied Devotion does not look for Bloodsecrator Keyword but Chaos Totem Keyword.
2. Portal of Skulls leads to the Bloodsecrator having the Rage of Khorne ability. It is NOT a permanent ability.

So the awnser depends on what you did. 

Edited by Killax
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Liath said:

Hi @Killax

That makes sense to me - thanks very much!

One of the things as to why Bloodreavers usually don't have both has to do with the Bloodsecrator not moving once the Portal of Skulls ability is activated. In most cases it means that they are either near 12" of the Chaos Totem OR within 18" of Rage of Khorne. While it's certainly possible to have them be under the effect of both it also usually means that thing went really good or really bad ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Killax said:

One of the things as to why Bloodreavers usually don't have both has to do with the Bloodsecrator not moving once the Portal of Skulls ability is activated. In most cases it means that they are either near 12" of the Chaos Totem OR within 18" of Rage of Khorne. While it's certainly possible to have them be under the effect of both it also usually means that thing went really good or really bad ;) 

 

That makes sense, I'm currently painting 35 of the little guys and I have a "not painted not played" rule so I've not REALLY delved into them yet.

Thanks for all your help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Liath said:

 

That makes sense, I'm currently painting 35 of the little guys and I have a "not painted not played" rule so I've not REALLY delved into them yet.

Thanks for all your help!

No worries they are a good bunch. Also as a sidenote, do keep in mind that 10 of them cost 70 now and that they recieved a 6+ armour save. I'm fairly certain that most booklets in production contain the older rules for them which had 10 at 60 and without any armour save at all. 

Not too much changed for them in game though, they are still really good with the Meatripper Axes and typically a good swarm that otherwise is hard to find in the more elite design of Bloodbound. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Killax said:

No worries they are a good bunch. Also as a sidenote, do keep in mind that 10 of them cost 70 now and that they recieved a 6+ armour save. I'm fairly certain that most booklets in production contain the older rules for them which had 10 at 60 and without any armour save at all. 

Not too much changed for them in game though, they are still really good with the Meatripper Axes and typically a good swarm that otherwise is hard to find in the more elite design of Bloodbound. 

I've got a brand new copy of Blades of Khorne on my desk so I look forward to reading all the updated stuff!

They strike me as a great cheap battle unit which throws down lots of attacks as opposed to the Bloodletters who have fewer but do some serious mortal wounds...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the chaos warshrine is a totem, too. It synergise very well with the bloodreaver, who LOVE this 6+ invulnerable save

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Liath

I think @Percy Verance meant to say was:

0-12" 3 Attacks (4 for the Chief)

12-18" 2 Attacks (3 for the Chief)

Throwing Gore Pilgrims in to increase the range of Portal of Skulls and trying a Warshrine to give a tanky, mobile Totem (plus Blood Blessing AND prayer from the Priest) is certainly viable if you want to keep your 'reavers in range while your Bloodsecrator stays safe. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[mention=5554]Liath[/mention]
I think [mention=3264]Percy Verance[/mention] meant to say was:
0-12" 3 Attacks (4 for the Chief)
12-18" 2 Attacks (3 for the Chief)
Throwing Gore Pilgrims in to increase the range of Portal of Skulls and trying a Warshrine to give a tanky, mobile Totem (plus Blood Blessing AND prayer from the Priest) is certainly viable if you want to keep your 'reavers in range while your Bloodsecrator stays safe. 


Ha bloody hell, half asleep. Yeah that's what I meant. Was playing a 12000 point 3 way game last night up til 4am. Finishing it tonight.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ledha said:

the chaos warshrine is a totem, too. It synergise very well with the bloodreaver, who LOVE this 6+ invulnerable save

Certainly, its really good aswell as it offers a nice anchor for them too :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ledha said:

the chaos warshrine is a totem, too. It synergise very well with the bloodreaver, who LOVE this 6+ invulnerable save

Oooo - I'd not spotted that, may have to find a suitable proxy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another option we have for Totem is a compendium warscroll:  Exalted Hero with Battlestandard.  He's not very good, he's 80 points, and his abilities are keyed to Slaves to Darkness.  However, if you're looking for a cheap 80 point Totem to keep up with your Bloodreavers he is an option we have available to us.  As noted however, the Warshrine is much better suited for the roll if you have the 200 points to spare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Liath said:

Oooo - I'd not spotted that, may have to find a suitable proxy!

and even more fun, it's a priest, so enjoy your khorne prayer too !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...