First 2k list - help with tuning

Ademo

Hey all, I'm attending a tournament in August that I'm building a mixed death army towards. I'm a long time collector but pretty new AOS player and haven't taken part in any tournaments as of yet - not even played a game with death yet :S but mostly this is due to busyness and blood bowl :D Anyone interested in the army can check out my painting thread here:

So, just after some thoughts on which command ability would suit my general and which items might benefit the army (and who to give them to!) Not looking to change the units or characters which I realise might not be the most competitive, but would love to get the most out of them so I don't get totally curb stomped! 

My 2k list is:
VLOZD - Guessing he's the best choice for the general? Was thinking Red Fury as he might fly off out of range to make ruler of the night useful?

Necromancer

Wight King with infernal standard

40xSkeletons with spears

10x Skeletons with blades

10x Skeletons with blades

5 Black Knights

10 Graveguard with Great Wight Blades

6x Spirit Hosts

Legion of Death

240 Summoning Points (to summon morghasts or Cairn Wraiths/Banshees/maybe more spirits?)

I'm quite liking the look of sword of unholy power to auto summon morghast harbingers but unsure who is best to carry it? VLOZD might be too much of a target, necromancer too squishy? Not sure on my second item so would appreciate any thoughts on this and any strategies/tips that would help me out when I play them for the first time next week in a practice game :D 

Thanks guys!

I would just include Morghast Archai in the list, and not worry about summoning anything.

Between your wizards, you have 2 spells a turn, max. Vanhels should almost always be cast on either 40 skelly's or 10 Grave Guard. And the other spell is usually mystic shield on the VLOZD, or another target getting hit.

Summoning is risky with no + to casting buffs, limited amount of spells, unbinding via enemies, and only 2 wizards who may die.

Your list is fast with Legion of death. You approach the enemy with 3-ish hammers (VLOZD, 40 Skelly, Morghast) 10 GG can also hurt. The 10 + 10 skelly, black knights, and spirit hosts are basically a bunch of chaff. You can use it to tie up key enemy units, while you rely on your 5+ ROTN Death save to help keep them alive (if they're near VLOZD).

You simply give your opponent too many threatening targets to worry about while using chaff units to hold objectives, bubble wrap, block charges, and tie up enemies.

VLOZD w/ Cursed Book & ROTN

WIght King w/ Cloak of Mists & Shadow

The VLOZD is a tanky self healing threat.

Wight King is a support piece that can teleport w/ banner planted cuz of cloak, cheesy but effective.

I agree that Cursed Book and RotN is the way to go with the VLoZD. The Wight could either go Cloak, or another book. If you're adamant in using summoning, the Sword is also an option - just make sure to use it ASAP. I entirely disagree with @Bradifer that your Spirit Hosts are chaff - with your Command Ability, they will be your primary method of dealing with heavy armor (an average of 10 mortal wounds per combat phase will put a den in that pesky Treelord Ancient with 2+ rerollable). All in all, I think you have a well rounded list. Should be solid.

Spirit Hosts can definitely chuck some mortal wounds, but treelords are one of the worst targets with their 4+ stopm) -1 to hit which turns off your mortal wounds.

I consider them chaff that actually does decent damage. Like a normal unit of Liberators or another decent battleline. They are certainly hard to kill though, and can make high rend monsters just take forever to go anywhere.

I consider my hosts one of my big damage threats. I play with Settra through, so I don't even have to dedicate a command ability to them, so maybe I'm cheating ;p The stomp is a pain of course, but there's also a 50% chance that it doesn't go off. Either way they're the best anti-armor unit in the list, and Treelord Ancients aren't the only units in the game that have 2+ saves.

Thanks guys, really useful insights here. I'm facing off against some ironjawz later (gulp) so will let you know how it all goes! Thanks once again [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I play with a very similar list and it is a lot of fun to play. Not the most competitive list but I think it looks great and has lots of cool combos. The deathrattle core can dish out lots of attacks, and takes some doing to fully wipe out due to regen. It definitely lacks rend and mortal wound output though.

Depending on your opponent that summoning pool can be nice, but it isn't always needed. I tend to play a unit of blood knights or Morghasts in it's place for a bit of power. I like the spirits for their mortal wounds too.

I've also been toying with the idea of going with 10x black knights. They don't kill anything but sticking them on an objective turn 1 and then regening D3 from the banner and then another 1 from legion of death is really nice. It can take a lot to get through them!

Let us know how you got on against the Ironjawz!

Archived