Help needed - Dispossessed 2000p

Seraphage

Hello guys,

I always wanted to play the old fashioned dwarfs whom I love as models and I finally decided to go for it.

I am not experienced with them however, nor have I played against them. I do know that the general idea is shoot shoot but I still need your advice.

What are the units that will be needed for most competitive lists? * our local is very friendly person - wise but everyone loves to do their best and try the most cheese they can. I do know that they are far from being really competitive as they are outdated but I'll work with what I can take right now.

So could some more experienced players give me advice about the numbers of each unit that I will probably need?

For example I do know that I ll be taking 40 Quarelels as they seem to be too valuable to not have and either be used in unit of 30 or 2 x 20 ?

I'm going to search for the units so if for example 10 Ironbreakers are enough for most of the times but 20 warriors won't be, I would like you to tell me so ! * General Idea as you can never be absolute about numbers *

Thanks !

• 2 weeks later...

I'm by no means an expert, but dwarves can be a bit more mobile then back in previous editions (well assuming you're fine with some compendium units).

Joseph Bugman lets your unit of quarrellers set up later where you want them (more then 9" away from the enemy). Miners essentially allow the same. This can allow for you to sandwich your oppenent between two lines where you bombard them with artillery so they advance towards you right shield walls, only to have two large units appear behind them and pepper them up with bolts and blasting charges. Both of these units are actually not bad at melee either!

If you take a unit of longbeards and are careful with placement/deployment you can essentially have more then 1 "general" as you can have, say an unforged be your general who uses inspiring presence while your long beards grumble and now your wardenking can declare a grudge too!

Also, irondrakes... Irondrakes can dish out some serious hurt! Same with hammerers!

Just some slight food for thought, hoping to pick up some more tricks myself and I'll pass them along my Bearded friend!

I play them a lot. They are kind of hard to use in the current meta but its fun nonetheless as you try and work with antiquated tools compared to your opponents who use the latest army books. Don't expect to table all you opponents. Some scenarios are ruthless to us. As mentioned above, you can get some form of movement though it is definitely no where close to the other newer armies. So you need to adapt. With objectives we can do alright if we can get there early enough.

One big problem is the mortal wound weakness. Your expensive unit of Ironbreakers or Hammerers get utterly murdered by any type of mortal wounds. It's frustrating to have a mystic shield + reroll in combat while ignoring -1 rend and then to die because a wyldwood or something causes repeated d3 wounds... You can use the runelord to add the 6+ invulnerable save. Its not much but still a good defense on a large unit. I play 30 Ironbreakers sometimes and use that to make them stronger before switching the -1 rend in combat.

Cannons are you go to damage dealers from range. Two of them with a engineer is a must and you need to protect them. I've used gyrocopters and bombers to have some movement in the late game.

And don't forget that, since we don't have a book, we don't have any reasons not to ally ourselves with others. Remember the old alliances!

• 2 weeks later...

Yea the Flame cannon can really make for a funny joke! I'm going to try soonish a list with Thorgrim, some Runelords, a lot of Ironbreakers, some Hammerers, some line units and either two flame cannons or one flame cannon and one cannon with their engineer. We shall see. It comes to 2000 pts.

And don't forget to look into the bolt throwers. They can be a pain with a huge range, -3 rend on a 6+ to wound (engineers add +1 to wound).

aos is so objective drive (as long  as you play battle plans of course) and speed can hurt you there. Keeping a 10 dwarf squad of miners in reserve or a gyrocopter save for the last turn can be a game changer. 

As @Eocosa said keeping a unit of bugman rangers and miners in reserve and deploying them as soon as your opponent is halfway across the board forces him to devide his forces. Bubble wrap the rangers with miners and send bugman of on his own to hero/Artillery hunt. If he chooses to focus on either part of you army the rest is free to put on the hurt and claim objectives. 

Good luck! And let us hear your experiences. 

Archived