20 Arks with hooks

20 Arks with hooks

10 Arks with hooks

6 Riggers cannon and grapple

6 Wardens cannon and grapple

Ironclad - Last word

Leaves me 100 spare

Hi Paul,

I´m fairly new to the Overlords (in fact I´m just glueing together my first minis) and I like to ask you some questions to your list:

1. What is the task of your Endrinmaster? On paper he really doesn´t impress me much.

2. All Ships seem to be hugely expensive. You field a Ironclad, which is the most expensive one. Why? What is the plan behind fielding ships? Is it possible to run an Overlords army without any ships?

3. Is there any list building advice you like to share? Are there any common synergies I have to look at?

4. What is the main reason to run Urbaz?

Thanks in advance

Steven

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Hannibal said:

Hi Paul,

I´m fairly new to the Overlords (in fact I´m just glueing together my first minis) and I like to ask you some questions to your list:

1. What is the task of your Endrinmaster? On paper he really doesn´t impress me much.

2. All Ships seem to be hugely expensive. You field a Ironclad, which is the most expensive one. Why? What is the plan behind fielding ships? Is it possible to run an Overlords army without any ships?

3. Is there any list building advice you like to share? Are there any common synergies I have to look at?

4. What is the main reason to run Urbaz?

Thanks in advance

Steven

No problems Steven.

1.  I find he is great all around, Firstly he heals my Ironclad d3, which means I basically can take dammed terrrain every go if possible and lose no wounds.  Secondly with teh repeater he has 3 shots, so can really do ranged threat, and with 3 attacks at possibly damage 3 he can also do some hurt.  6 wounds is also really good and makes him a bit more survivable.

2. yes you can and I think that is the high end 'meta'.  But Arkanaughts are all about the skyships so why would you not!  The model is proabbly one of the best GW have ever produced imo.  As for Ironclad rather than frigate. - More wounds MUCH better weapons and higher capacity, if you are going 1 ship and not the ballon spam then Ironclad is my choice.

3.  For me I like an all rounder list, so some of lots of units, that let me do womething in every phase.  Some combat, some movement, and shooting being a focal point.  Weirdly Overlords are not a huge synergy army, its mostly just khemist buffs.  If the ships were a tad cheaper you might see more in a list so ironclad command abilities would come in to play more.

4. Double buff, with a mix of units 2 khemists doing the work of 4 really helps me.  As I wasn't stacking before the FAQ I was basically enhancing 4 units anyway, so urbaz seemed the logical choice.

On 28.8.2017 at 4:41 PM, Paul Buckler said:

I

Thanks for your reply! Balanced or mixed forces that allow to do something in every phase is the way I use to build armies too. 

Let's say you wanted to run the most competetive list you can think of, what would it look like?

Regarding the skyport. The one that allows for "deep striking" a skyvessel also interests me, though I think Urbaz is the strongest for any kind of mixed force. 

Currently the zilfin list, is the prevelant one, which is A boat, min arkanaughts and lots of balloons.  Personally I think no boat is better.

Something like, whatever they won't win an event atm, you're looking a maybe a podium with ag ood draw but top 10 with a decent one.

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords

Skyport: Barak-Urbaz
- Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People
Arkanaut Admiral
Aether-Khemist
Aether-Khemist
40 x Arkanaut Company
- 12x Light Skyhooks
20 x Arkanaut Company
- 6x Light Skyhooks
20 x Arkanaut Company
- 6x Light Skyhooks
9 x Endrinriggers (360)
- 2x Grapnel Launchers
6 x Endrinriggers (240)
- 1x Grapnel Launchers

Total: 1980/2000

Once more: thanks for your reply. 

It's funny that your most competetive list consists of just the 4 unit types that pulled me into Overlords. Seems to be good. 

On the other hand I don't like playing maxed out lists when I play with friends... Guess I have to include a skyvessel then. ;)

Hello, I'd like to know if the rriggers/wardes when equiped with grapnel launchers are equiped with any shooting weapon. I'd also like to know whin 1k list will you prepare takin onto account the point values in the new generals habdbook. Thanks!

Hi Hernan, grapnels only have grapnels, no other pistol or anything. In melee they have the 'gun butt' attack. 

I have a unit of skywardens as well as riggers as the 2" reach on the pikes I think will be invaluable once our Khemists buff is removed.

7 hours ago, Hernan said:

Hello, I'd like to know if the rriggers/wardes when equiped with grapnel launchers are equiped with any shooting weapon. I'd also like to know whin 1k list will you prepare takin onto account the point values in the new generals habdbook. Thanks!

Yes as stated grapnels replace the missile weapon, so they are in the unit to do the movement trick.

Wardens I find good for clearing out the horde chaff units with less of a save.  they have an extra attack basic and the 2" reach

1K list would depend on where I was going to play tbh.  Probably the 1K list I used for doubles less 3 wardens, and then I have 60 pts spare so prob add in a gryph hound

Game 57 vs @Binx

Scenario Total Conquest

First game of blackout, I had a grudge vs @Binx.  He was rocking Slaneesh using the new traits, which I knew would be a tough matchup. The speed of his army was really good, everything getting plus 2 or plus 1 to move and charge.  I am not sure what he had, but you can read his exploits here

Will do short summaries for blackout along with conclusions as It was a while ago and I was drinking!

He deployed to cover left hand objectives I got the right.  I gave him turn 1, and he moved up playing for the double.  I shot off chariots early, but not a lot else as he deployed wisely and not much was in range.  He got the double turn and hit my lines (charged 11,11,12,12 I think!), doing some damage but not as much as I expected.  However he did grab the RH one on his board edge away from me for 2 points.

I killed a lot of stuff, my go, but he managed to roll 2 1's for his demon banners  and regrow from the last model, which cost me points as he still contested objectives.

He was 2 points up at end turn 3 and just retreated back to defend his points.  Had I got a double turn 3-4 I think I may have been able to steal one, but it was never to be and it ended in a Major loss.

Result: Major Loss

Conclusions:  They are quick!  Got to my lines really fast, with a high volume of attacks.  I think with a  double turn my way I could have sneaked a win at some point, but overall @Binx  just played really well and made no mistakes.  Like the new allegiance abilities think they add real flavour to the army.

Thanks Paul, good summary. Was a good game and I learnt quickly how good the Khardron guns are! 

Double turn for you would have given me trouble. Double turn for me after the monster charges and you wouldn't have had much infantry left.

Look forward to our next encounter

3 hours ago, Paul Buckler said:

Yes as stated grapnels replace the missile weapon, so they are in the unit to do the movement trick.

Wardens I find good for clearing out the horde chaff units with less of a save.  they have an extra attack basic and the 2" reach

1K list would depend on where I was going to play tbh.  Probably the 1K list I used for doubles less 3 wardens, and then I have 60 pts spare so prob add in a gryph hound

Great, thanks for your answer. In that case, do you thin it will be profitable to have, for example two units of riggers, each one with one model with grapnels? My 1k list is: arkanaut frigate, 2x10 company, lne aether khemist, 2x3 riggers and 1x3 wardens. Urbaz sky port. How do you see it?

I use them for both.. shooting and nelee fighting (thats why i preffer them than skywardens), but I also like their ability of repairing a skyvessel. I'm trying to determine what might be better against a sylvaneth army that uses kurnoth hunter with bow (30" range) and also being inside wildwood trees (which gives them +1 save and -1 to enemies distance weapon).

39 minutes ago, Paul Buckler said:

That's a decent well rounded list, should do OK at 1K vs Sylvaneth.  Have to be careful the Khemist isn't shot off when he gets out of the boat though.

Thanks!!

34 minutes ago, Paul Buckler said:

I like grapnels, so would always take them.  Rem though I am not writing 'optimal' lists so just take stuff cos its cool

Thanks!!

1 hour ago, Hernan said:

Duento what is the +1? I'm pretty new with KO (indeed in AOS) so I don't remember always all rules

Not sure if you were asking for clarification, but normally the Arknaughts hit on a roll of 4+ with their weapons, however, when targeting a hero or monster, they get +1 to hit, so they can hit on a roll of 3+ (unless there are other modifiers).  Makes them really good monster/hero hunters, especially with the skyhooks.

14 hours ago, Hernan said:

When Ichoose a sky port, do I have also one allegiance ability? Or I only do have the abilities of the sky port + one extra footnote?

The second one. A named skyport gives you some really strong abilities you won´t get otherwise. That´s the trade.

Though you still get your artifact(s).

Archived