Coming back in- can i mix and match Chaos?

2 hours ago, Morgrim the Black said:

So if i have a heap of Chaos Dwarfs can I mix and match other Chaos Stuff in as well? Like beastmen or even daemons? I know its up to the group i play in but whats normal convention?

The only thing that is up to the group you play in regarding that, is whether you can mix and match from outside a grand alliance (i.e orruks and lizardmen) - mixing from factions within ONE grand alliance, like chaos, is by the books :) If someone would want to limit you there, they might as well say ''No, you should not play anything other than skaven slaves in your skaven army'' (or god forbid, limit you to a single clan) 

So don't worry about that. You can have your cake and eat it too ;)

6 hours ago, Morgrim the Black said:

So if i have a heap of Chaos Dwarfs can I mix and match other Chaos Stuff in as well?
Like beastmen or even daemons?
I know its up to the group i play in but whats normal convention?

Yes you can under Grand Alliance Chaos :) 
Yes Beastmen and Daemons of all kinds are possible to field.
This is also normal to use at a convention, Order for example also has this kind of massive depth. 

On 5/7/2017 at 8:19 AM, Mayple said:

The only thing that is up to the group you play in regarding that, is whether you can mix and match from outside a grand alliance (i.e orruks and lizardmen) - mixing from factions within ONE grand alliance, like chaos, is by the books :) If someone would want to limit you there, they might as well say ''No, you should not play anything other than skaven slaves in your skaven army'' (or god forbid, limit you to a single clan) 

So don't worry about that. You can have your cake and eat it too ;)

It's worth noting that even though combining factions from within a single Grand Alliance already provides a huge amount of flexibility, it's also possible to mix factions from different Grand Alliances. Only Matched Play restricts you to one Grand Alliance. Narrative Play and Open Play have no such restrictions. So if you're likely to play Open or Narrative more frequently than Matched, and you have a good thematic idea for mixing Grand Alliances, there is nothing stopping you.

Probably best to check with your gaming group first though, because there is a common misconception that the Matched Play rule restricting you to a single Grand Alliance applies even in Open and Narrative.

22 minutes ago, The Cranky Dwarf said:

Yup as long as it's the same alliance it's all good. My dwarves even have their own steam tank!

As a gift from the Ironweld Arsenal I'd presume? :)

14 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

It's worth noting that even though combining factions from within a single Grand Alliance already provides a huge amount of flexibility, it's also possible to mix factions from different Grand Alliances. Only Matched Play restricts you to one Grand Alliance. Narrative Play and Open Play have no such restrictions. So if you're likely to play Open or Narrative more frequently than Matched, and you have a good thematic idea for mixing Grand Alliances, there is nothing stopping you.

True. GW even gives such examples in the lore, like a Fyreslayer lodge in Ghur (Lofnir lodge, to be precise) which often fights alongside local ogors who pay them in mounds of plundered gold. So why not if the idea is interesting enough?

Archived