Narrative Play

On 5/31/2017 at 11:08 AM, Thornshield said:

So which aspect of Narrative play do you resonate with out of curiosity? Looking forward to seeing your force and reading about it in any case!

What resonated with me is being able to build scenarios around what models look cool as opposed to which ones have the best build. Also, I like that my son can field say the 6 Tzaangors from my Silver Tower set and doesn't have to worry about tracking down 4 more to meet the Match Play unit minimum of 10.

Also, as I try to build up interest in my area...when a potential player responds to playing with "I have 'x' number of boarboyz...is that enough?" may answer can always be "yes!". Easier to get buy-in and interest that way rather than telling someone if they're going to play they need to go buy some more models.

I feel like the there's a lot more flexibility in narrative, open play.

Besides all of that...I play Blood Bowl in tournaments so I'm a little more on the competitive side there, but AoS Narrative allows the old GM in me to write up stories and scenarios and create fun experiences rather than worry about competitive balance across the board.

1 hour ago, Mr. White said:

What resonated with me is being able to build scenarios around what models look cool as opposed to which ones have the best build. Also, I like that my son can field say the 6 Tzaangors from my Silver Tower set and doesn't have to worry about tracking down 4 more to meet the Match Play unit minimum of 10.

Also, as I try to build up interest in my area...when a potential player responds to playing with "I have 'x' number of boarboyz...is that enough?" may answer can always be "yes!". Easier to get buy-in and interest that way rather than telling someone if they're going to play they need to go buy some more models.

I feel like the there's a lot more flexibility in narrative, open play.

Besides all of that...I play Blood Bowl in tournaments so I'm a little more on the competitive side there, but AoS Narrative allows the old GM in me to write up stories and scenarios and create fun experiences rather than worry about competitive balance across the board.

Makes sense! As much as @Chris Tomlin hates labels, you show strong signs of the Open + Narrative player so I'll direct you towards a kindred spirit of yours, @HobbyHammer, whose blog (http://hobbyhammer.com/) & events are run in that vein.

^ I'll check out Hobbyhammer, thanks for that!

I'm in the process of writing a simple, five game multiplayer narrative campaign that is based around a silver tower, so one of the five sessions will be a hero from each faction summoned into the tower where the enemies will have to work together to survive the perversion within.  A mix of warfare and dungeon crawling. Should be fun and as the other players are either new to table top or role-players...it's the story that will drive the campaign and less the competition.

13 hours ago, Mr. White said:

^ I'll check out Hobbyhammer, thanks for that!

Cheers for kind words @Thornshield! Definitely in my vein of put down what you wanna play and make the story from there. I much prefer playing a bit more openly, but using other ways of building armies. Ways which fit a story more instead of like you say... oh I need 10 Gor... why not 13 or 14? 

15 hours ago, Mr. White said:

Also, I like that my son can field say the 6 Tzaangors from my Silver Tower set and doesn't have to worry about tracking down 4 more to meet the Match Play unit minimum of 10.

Not to go off track too much, but just to advise that it is completely acceptable to play with fewer models than the minimum unit size in Matched Play. There is even a rule confirming this; "Understrength Units".

3 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Not to go off track too much, but just to advise that it is completely acceptable to play with fewer models than the minimum unit size in Matched Play. There is even a rule confirming this; "Understrength Units".

Chris, I'm still new to the game and must have overlooked this rule. I'll look into it tonight at home, thanks.

Oh, a Matched Play question I do have...when I look at the points page at the back of a battletome...it'll say like 140pts for a unit with a min of 10, but max of 30 models. Does that mean it's 140pts no matter how many models (between 10-30) are in the unit?

12 minutes ago, Mr. White said:

Chris, I'm still new to the game and must have overlooked this rule. I'll look into it tonight at home, thanks.

Oh, a Matched Play question I do have...when I look at the points page at the back of a battletome...it'll say like 140pts for a unit with a min of 10, but max of 30 models. Does that mean it's 140pts no matter how many models (between 10-30) are in the unit?

140 points per 10 :) 

Archived