Horrors splitting rules

DrMarmalade

Question

Hi guys

I am a bit confused in regards to when and how Pinks turn to Blues into Brims.

I have a unit of 10 Pinks and 140 points in reserve for 20 Blues and 10 Brimstones.  I get shot and lose 3 Pinks, do i have to split them at the end of the phase for 6 Blues (paying 50 points), or can I hold off splitting until the unit is killed in combat where I would gain 12 Blues in a more advantageous position for me?

Cheers

11 answers to this question

Ok, but doesn't it say you can choose when to use reinforcement points?

Because reinforcement points dont have to state what they actually are. 

Also can I have a rules reference page please as there seems to be debate on this topic.

Why can't I choose to use the split rule only in one phase? 

36 minutes ago, DrMarmalade said:

Why can't I choose to use the split rule only in one phase? 

The ability doesn't state you may do this -- it states that it just happens. I imagine that's where @BaldoBeardo's answer comes from.

If you're playing in a tournament, check with the TO. If you're playing casually with friends, go nuts.

Yeah I know it just happens, but how can I be forced to split at a particular point when technically I don't actually have blue horrors until I want to use the ability. All I have are reinforce ment points which could be anything.

Does that make sense?

You can choose not to split the horrors when they get shot, but you don't get to add those losses in later phases. 

Remember, the splitting happens when wounds are allocated//models are slain - they're not an energy source you get to save up. The only -choice- you get to make is whether you want to split or not. 

you split when they are shot at.

then in combat phase, as long as they dont hit the split ones, u keep adding to it when things start dying.

a smart player will kill the split off quickly, costing you points for a unit that isnt full

The actual rules? I know that sounds flippant, but you're trying to impose an interpretation that isn't there. As has been pointed out, the ability comes in to play at the end of each phase, as stated on the Blue Horror warscroll. Either you use it or you don't, but there's no concept or RAW interpretation that allows you to save up until you have a decent number.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, fued said:

a smart player will kill the split off quickly, costing you points for a unit that isnt full

This is also why, under the current summoning rules, it is much safer to just buy a bunch of brimstone horrors as units to use as chaff/tarpits. It'll give you a -lot- of models for a very low cost. Sort of following the 'pay for a unit's ressurection = just field two instead' 

I hope they fix that part, to be honest. The splitting horrors is a really cool mechanic, and it's a shame that it can be countered so easily due to poor summoning rules :/

Archived