Hero phase pile in moves

gmulroney

Question

So I'm noticing a lot more hero phase pile in moves and I was wondering, do you have to be within 3" of an enemy unit to take advantage of these moves, or can you use them no matter what? In the rules it states that during the c at phase you can choose a unit to attack with that is within 3" of any enemy of charged, and part of the attack is a pile in. But it doesn't seem to explicitly say that pile in moves require the unit to be within 3" of an enemy. 

• Answers 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The high elf princes pile in happens in the combat phase yes, but the question the FAQ answered was if he could use it outside 3". The answer is quite clearly no, (unless the ability specifically states otherwise). 

Which phase it's in is irrelevant, because it's a ability that grants a "regular" pile in (albeit a long one). Abilities that gain a regular "move" in the hero phase still cannot "move" within 3" of the enemy. Likewise, units that pile in the hero phase still can't pile in if they are more than 3" from the enemy, as pile in's can only occur if you are already within 3".

3 minutes ago, Mirage8112 said:

The high elf princes pile in happens in the combat phase yes, but the question the FAQ answered was if he could use it outside 3". The answer is quite clearly no, (unless the ability specifically states otherwise). 

Which phase it's in is irrelevant, because it's a ability that grants a "regular" pile in (albeit a long one). Abilities that gain a regular "move" in the hero phase still cannot "move" within 3" of the enemy. Likewise, units that pile in the hero phase still can't pile in if they are more than 3" from the enemy, as pile in's can only occur if you are already within 3".

The rules say within 3" or charged. So you can be outside of 3" and pile in if you charged. The FAQ was answering the question of if the within 3" or charge changes to within 6" or charged if you have a 6" pile in move. However, this is only a test that needs to be passed to see if a unit can be selected to pile in and attack in the combat phase.

13 minutes ago, Gilby said:

The rules say within 3" or charged. So you can be outside of 3" and pile in if you charged. The FAQ was answering the question of if the within 3" or charge changes to within 6" or charged if you have a 6" pile in move. 

Well, yes. You need to have successfully charged. If you successfully charged a unit, and that unit was wiped out, you can still pile in and attack (up to 6" with the high elf prince or say Tree Revenants).

13 minutes ago, Gilby said:

However, this is only a test that needs to be passed to see if a unit can be selected to pile in and attack in the combat phase.

No, no it's not. It test to see if you are able to pile in and attack regardless of phase. The extra pile in the hero phase doesn't change the mechanics for piling in, just like it doesn't change the mechanics for moving (i.e. not within 3" of an enemy, not through enemy models ect ect). The ability only changes which phase the pile-in can happen, it does not specifically change the mechanics (clarified by the FAQ). 

And as such, the FAQ is pretty clear. You cannot pile in unless you are within 3" of an enemy or charged that turn. 

57 minutes ago, Mirage8112 said:

No, no it's not. It test to see if you are able to pile in and attack regardless of phase.

4oae0Fe.jpg

If you can show me the specific part that says you can't pile in more than 3" when you are told you can pile in I'll agree with you. But I've not seen it. Everyone remembers the 'within 3"' bit because it is like the 'i before e but not after c' rule. A useful way to get it right most of the time, but not a hard and fast rule.

It doesn't even say in Goretide that he can do it as if it were the combat phase so there's no reason to give the same restrictions (or buffs) he'd get for being in that phase.

A1HLbse.jpg

Archived